1) Kansas City

2) Baltimore

3) Phoenix

4) Washington, D.C.

5) Charlotte

6) Orlando

7) Jacksonville

8) Tampa

Why KC? KC's skyline is visible from up to 20 miles away. When ever I go to STL, all I see from a distance in STL's skyline is the ARCH(plus that is the only unique structure). Most of the structures in DT KC are unique. And Charlotte? How is that a disappointment? Like I said before, a good shyline is not just about density, it's about uniqueness(P.S. I do like STL's skyline), that's why NYC's skyline isn't that great right now, I think L.A.'s is much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Houston DOES have the most extensive skyline of any city in the south. Mostly because the city has no zoning restrictions, which is why there are other skyline clusters in other parts of Houston. I got photos off of www.stockyard.com of Downtown, the Galleria and the Texas Medical Center.

SKDT1039.jpg

This Downtown view from a freeway is probably one of the best views of a city.

SKDT1037.jpg

SKDT1102.jpg

This is the Galleria area. It is home to Williams Tower (formerly Transco), the tallest building not to be located in any Central Business District.

SKGA1008.jpg

Texas Medical Center, with Downtown in the far background.

SKMC1005.jpg

I believe the Detroit skyline is disappointing. All I see is the Renaissance Center and the GM headquarters (the tallest). Everything else is short and old. Their slow renovation should also include more tall buildings.

PostcardSkyline.jpg

Look at the GM headquarters and the Renaissance Center on the right. Now look to your left at these other older shorter buildings. What do you really think about Detroit skyline after all?

I believe the Detroit skyline is disappointing. All I see is the Renaissance Center and the GM headquarters (the tallest). Everything else is short and old. Their slow renovation should also include more tall buildings.

PostcardSkyline.jpg

Look at the GM headquarters and the Renaissance Center on the right. Now look to your left at these other older shorter buildings. What do you really think about Detroit skyline after all?

The RenCen complex is the one major thing I don't like about the Detroit skyline. The round glass tower itself is okay... but those 4 bland hulking masses surrounding it are hideous and create an imbalanced skyline. I much prefer the "older and shorter" skyscrapers on the left side of your picture. I am a fan of historic skyscrapers... early 20th century classical and art-deco scrapers. The artistry of these skyscrapers, however short they may be, far outstrip the blank facades and rehashed ideas of the recent modern and postmodern travesties that populate such skylines as Charlotte, Atlanta and Houston. Detroit's dearth of new skyscrapers may be a statement about the dire straits the city has found itself in, but it has no reason to be ashamed of its unparalelled collection of early 20th century skyscrapers.

PostcardSkyline.jpg

The view of the skyline from Windsor is actually the worst skyline view. I could hardly call this disappointing.

1024x768_detroit_downtown_deroy.jpg

• 2 months later...

The view of the skyline from Windsor is actually the worst skyline view.  I could hardly call this disappointing. 

1024x768_detroit_downtown_deroy.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Allan! I've havn't seen such a great photo of detroit's skyline. I'm from Ann Arbor and come in to Detroit a lot to see Tigers games, shows at the State etc. but whenever I am coming in I stare in awe at the incredible skyline. I don't like how whenever you see pictures, the buildings look so wimpy. The Ren Cen is only about 20 ft. shorter then Minneapolis's tallest building and yet it looks like it's 200 ft. shorter. Weird. Well anyway, I appreciate this forums Detroit loving, and am looking forward to the city's great revival which is already underway!

1- Charlotte

2 -Columbia (fantastic for a smaller town, also hometown bias)

3- Atlanta

4- Minneapolis

5- Seattle

6 -Chicago

7- Indianapolis

8- Nashville

9- New York (the loss of the WTC has moved this one down a few for me)

10- Philadelphia

Honorable Mention: Jacksonville- I think it as a great skyline, but it lacks a very strong signature tower.

Thanks Allan!  I've havn't seen such a great photo of detroit's skyline.  I'm from Ann Arbor and come in to Detroit a lot to see Tigers games, shows at the State etc. but whenever I am coming in I stare in awe at the incredible skyline.  I don't like how whenever you see pictures, the buildings look so wimpy.  The Ren Cen is only about 20 ft. shorter then Minneapolis's tallest building and yet it looks like it's 200 ft. shorter.  Weird.  Well anyway, I appreciate this forums Detroit loving, and am looking forward to the city's great revival which is already underway!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I try my best to rep my adopted hometown (I am originally from Flint). Believe it or not, before this February, I had not set foot inside the Detroit city limits since Tiger Stadium closed five years ago! How sad is that?! Now I know so much about the city that I may be giving Preservation Wayne walking tours next year! :)

I am still trying to pinpoint the exact location this was taken from. I'm assuming that it's from the roof of an apartment building that I don't have access to, but it's worth a shot! I am not nearly as familiar with midtown as I am with downtown, but I'm getting there....

Archived