Favorite skylines

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Chicago-best in country undeniable

(underated skyline)

Boston-most people dont like boston skyline, i love it, its were brownstones meet skyscrapers, thou the john hancock(new englands largest building) and prudential centers are out of place the downtown skyline is still wonderful.

Some of my favorite North American skylines are Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, and, of course, Nashville. Here are a few pics of my half-adopted hometown.

photobig0112coliseum9hq.jpg

photobig0285air0qj.jpg

photobig0341bmall1ri.jpg

photobig0330nite0qj.jpg

Thanks!  I try my best to rep my adopted hometown (I am originally from Flint).  Believe it or not, before this February, I had not set foot inside the Detroit city limits since Tiger Stadium closed five years ago!  How sad is that?!  Now I know so much about the city that I may be giving Preservation Wayne walking tours next year! :)

I am still trying to pinpoint the exact location this was taken from.  I'm assuming that it's from the roof of an apartment building that I don't have access to, but it's worth a shot!  I am not nearly as familiar with midtown as I am with downtown, but I'm getting there....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Allan - I can't tell you the exact location but you were definitely between 2nd + 3rd just north of Warren on the WSU campus. I know this because you can see my apartment's windows in your pic. Good shot.

Allan - I can't tell you the exact location but you were definitely between 2nd + 3rd just north of Warren on the WSU campus. I know this because you can see my apartment's windows in your pic. Good shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I actually found the buildings in the photo the other day as I was driving to the art store. I need to actually tour the area soon, but I've been too obsessed with exploring Broderick Tower lately. Haha.

Boston-most people dont like boston skyline, i love it, its were brownstones meet skyscrapers, thou the john hancock(new englands largest building) and prudential centers are out of place the downtown skyline is still wonderful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I dont know about that, these buildings are what give the skyline interest, especially when viewing back bay from the Cambridge side of the Charles. It's Boston's "high spine" of buildings along Boylston St. there are just some big gaps to fill, but that will never happen due to rampant NIMBYs. Columbus Center and The Clarendon projects should add more interest to this area, I just hope the buildings aren't flat topped like all the others. Thats the major problem with Boston's skyline in my opinion. Years of height restrictions have caused masses of buildings at similar heights with flat roofs. We'll have to see what the future holds...

• 2 weeks later...

1.Minneappolis,2. Philadelphia,3. Miami, 4.Houston, 5.Seattle, 6.Charlotte

most of these cities have a bigger "glass and steel" presence, but I prefer the modern glass and steel to old-school or post-modern anyday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about Atlanta,Las Vegas,Dallas,NewOrleans,San Francisco and Los Angeles

Austin,Louisville,Tulsa,Nashville,Dayton and Pittsburg

Whoo, it's about time I get my list in.

Starting with North America [No order]

Hartford

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Calgary

Tampa

Ottawa

Des Moines

Indianapolis

Minneapolis

Denver

Disappointments

New Orleans

Austin

Albuquerque

San Jose

Honorable Mentions

Knoxville

Providence

Louisville

Cincinnati

Outside North America

Santiago, Chile

Mexico City

London

Warsaw

Frankfurt

Dubai

Durban, South Africa

Jakarta

Bangkok

Sydney

San Francisco has the most memorable skyline by far-- and its getting better:

in accordance with the new high density neighborhood plans of Rincon Hill and the Transbay redevelopment,

here is how SF will change in the next 10 years:

mn_skyline-2vu.jpg

when your the second densist city in the US, the only way to grow is up

(most of these buildings have already been approved)

I never knew that the Space Needle is so far away from the city skyline. It really isn't even part of downtown, is it?

By the way, does anyone know the heights of Seattle's tallest buildings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seattle's tallest skyscrapers:

Bank of America Tower 943 ft. tall

Two Union Square 740

Washington Mutual Tower 735

Seattle Municipal Tower 722

1001 Fourth Ave. Plaza 609

Washington Mutual Center 608 (under construction)

Space Needle 605

U.S. Bank Centre 580

Wells Fargo Plaza 574

Fifth Ave Plaza 543

Union Bank of California Plaza 536

Rainier Tower 514

IDX Tower 513

The Space Needle (Seattle Center) is about 1 mile from Westlake Plaza which is in the heart of downtown Seattle. The ride from Westlake to the Space Needle is just under 2 minutes.

Archived