Favorite skylines

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's close, but not quite. There are some cities that should be moved up or added, like Detroit, Charlotte, Nashville, and Jacksonville, and there are some cities that should be moved down or taken off the list, like Houston, Honolulu, Las Vegas, and Sunny Isles Beach(?).

You gotta think about more than just the total amount of stories or feet a city has to come up with a "best" list.

Are you kiddin me? Moved down, or taken away Houston, Honolulu and Las Vegas? Those one of the top major skylines in America today. For Houston. Houston have the best skyline in the south, and one of the most popular skylines in America.

The website speaks the truth, and accurate. I beleive in proving facts, not words people say.

List your 10 favorite skylines.

This is a subjective subject and not meant to be a "best"  or biggest thread.

Here gos mine.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Chicago

3. San Francisco

4. Detroit

5. Cincinnati

6. Atlanta

7. Philadelphia

8. Charlotte

9. Hartford

10. Providence

Honorable mentions.

San Antonio

Louisville

Mobile

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ivory Tower... I realise you indicate this is a subjective thread, but realistically, how can one exclude New York, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Vancouver? The cities in your list are nice, but this discussion specifically addresses skylines. What kind of subjective qualities are powerful enough to keep these off a list of favourites?

Ivory Tower...  I realise you indicate this is a subjective thread, but realistically, how can one exclude New York, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Vancouver?  The cities in your list are nice, but this discussion specifically addresses skylines.  What kind of subjective qualities are powerful enough to keep these off a list of favourites?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sao Paulo may be one of the largest cities anywhere in the world and be unfathomable in its sheer dimensions... but it's a little ugly. When seen from street-level, it's quite pretty and charming... but once you get above the stumpy 500 foot skyscrapers, all you see is smog and what appears to be the same buildings over and over and over and over again. Not so cute.

Sao Paulo may be one of the largest cities anywhere in the world and be unfathomable in its sheer dimensions... but it's a little ugly.  When seen from street-level, it's quite pretty and charming... but once you get above the stumpy 500 foot skyscrapers, all you see is smog and what appears to be the same buildings over and over and over and over again.  Not so cute.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point... When it comes to skylines I equate beauty with enormity, but that's just me.

These are my top 5 favorites in no particular order

1. New York: You can't argue with this. The Skyline reflects New York's rich history and its title as the biggest and most exciting city in the US

2. Atlanta: Its amazing that a city that was once ashes could one day grow to have a skyline as impressive as Atlantas. Each tall proud tower is a a symbol of determination and perseverance

3. Pittsburgh: This city was once described as a dismal, dirty, and gloomy excuse for a city, but through hard work this steel town's dirty skyline became an absolute jewel, nestled cozily in a nook between its two rivers. Truly breathtaking!

4. Miami: The Skyline of Miami from a distance doesn't seem all that special. But up close, you'll see clearly the colorful latin feel of this impressive city. Each building in the city has a flair that can only be found in this vibrant tropical city

5. San Francisco: The beautiful golden gate bridge opens to reveal a beautiful city, truly in a league of its own. The buildings portray a unique shape and feel only found in this gorgeous city by the sea.

I didn't realize this site was so skyscraper-centric when I joined, but that's ok. I just like discussing cities, not necessarily scrapers. I think the most beautiful cities are usually the ones without them, such as Europe's cities. In the USA, I like Washington the best. I'd rather look at architectural detail and masonry than steel and glass myself :silly:

Actually, this site used to be called "Skyscraper America" from what I can tell, but they dropped that name in favor of UrbanPlanet because they wanted to talk about more than skyscrapers. Skyscrapers are an important part of a city, though.

Definitely New York City takes top honors for me!

In no particular order, except for number one:

1. Pittsburgh, PA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} The rivers, the bridges, the hills... it all comes together to make a stunning setting for a great skyline, and PPG is probably my all time favourite skyscraper.

2. New York City, NY (Midtown) {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Get New York out of the way... I prefer downtown as a place to midtown, but as far as the sklines go, midtown is my favourite. Coming down the LIE and having that skyline looming in front of you, awesome!

3. Brooklyn, NY {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Often overlooked on account of it's giant siblings across the East River, Brooklyn has a great skyline, and it only promises to improve over the next decade.

4. San Francisco, CA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Like Pittsburgh, it's natural setting makes this skyline a winner. The bay, the hills, the bridges, and the Tran-America Pyramid, a signature tower that makes itself completely at home in the city by the bay.

5. Paris, FRANCE (La Defense) {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Looking down the Champs-Elysees toward this futuristic almagamation is stunning.

6. St. Louis, MO {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} The Arch rocks, and the city's skyline is a terrific backdrop for it.

7. Chicago, IL {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Area, height, diversity... Chicago has it going on. And the way it hugs the lakeshore and river canyon are big bonuses.

8. Yellowknife, NWT, CANADA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} I just love it 'cos it's there, whodathunk!?

9. Philadelphia, PA {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Love. It.

10. Providence, RI {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} I walk through it everyday, and can see parts of it though my living room window, so I better like it, or I'd be quite annoyed.  <_<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Easy

1. New York City (except it is too dense so it looks flat)

2. Chicago

3. Atlanta

4. Dallas

5. San Francisco

6. Los Angeles

7. Boston

8. Philly

9. Cleveland

10. Houston -(has a big skyline but looks flat like NYC)

And then there is some middle sized cities with surprising skylines given their smaller population.

1. Charlotte

2. Nashville (only if Signature gets approved)

3. Columbia, SC

And then there are those who have dissapointing skylines in comparison to other comparable cities.

1. Phoenix

2. Birmingham

3. Memphis

4. Louisville

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived