Favorite skylines

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm partial to Pittsburgh and I'm glad it seems to be tops on the majority of lists. I also see San Francisco on here, but think that's kind of a boring skyline--mostly because there's only one building with any shape to it. The port cities like Baltimore and New Orleans have boring skylines. Cleveland has some interesting and tall buildings... from the shores of Lake Eric it resembles Chicago, which is a great skyline. On further review, Pittsburgh has the interesting building shapes, the clustered geography and the hills that add up to the best skyline. It's great if you're far away or close. Yinz are all right, you can't beat it.

CBD dumpy? Thats laughable. Philly easily has one of the best downtowns in the U.S.Don't sound too bitter tocoto, you are giving bostonians a bad name.

I'll take Philly over Boston anyday. Boston is beautiful, but confusing and expensive (and you might add snooty).

Since this is a list of favorite skylines, I have to list my home of Columbia at the top because when I see the skyline it means I've arrived home from a vacation or business trip. Also, for a metro of about 700,000, it is a pretty darn nice skyline. Yes, one of these days I will standardize the picture sizes on my website, lol.

downtown%20close%20up%20from%20greystone.jpg

pano%20from%20I%2077.jpg

For the rest I'm only going to list cities I've been to:

2. New York City

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

5. Boston

6. Atlanta

7. Houston (nice height and density, but boring buildings)

8. Pittsburgh

9. Miami

10. Jersey City

Honorable mentions:

Baltimore

Richmond

Hartford

Dallas

Madison, Wi. (a more beautiful city could not be built)

Charlotte

San Juan (great setting)

Louisville

Birmingham

Newark

Wilmington, De.

Nashville

Kansas City, Mo.

I'll leave you with a few NYC pictures:

A distance shot from Staten Island:

awesome.jpg

From my hotel room last month:

chrysler%20and%20esb.jpg

Downtown from Brooklyn:

downtown%20from%20bklyn.jpg

Last month:

nyc%20skyline%20grunge.jpg

Trump Tower:

sun%20on%20the%20trump.jpg

Sydney will always have a place in my heart

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01231.jpg

I also do have to agree with earlier sentiments about Pittsburgh, heading north on I-279, you drive up on the mountain before going through Fort Pitt Tunnel not knowing what is behind it. And then suddenly you're hit up close with the skyline, it gets me every time because you're about half a mile or less from the skyline the first time you ever see it.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW Cotuit and IvoryTower

Pittsburgh is #1 and its not 1979! Thanks!

Pittsburgh does have a super skyline but I would have to make it #5, #2 in the U.S. though!

#1 Hong Kong

#2 Singapore

#3 Sydney

#4 Chicago

#5 Pittsburgh

#6 Los Angeles

#7 San Francisco

#8 Seattle

#9 Dallas

#10 Houston (just so much of it)

NYC I would put down but Wayyyyyyyy overhyped.

The 10 skylines that disappoint (according to their potential, with all the activities going on in their town they could build a better skyline!):

#1 New Orleans

#2 Boston

#3 Montreal

#4 Mexico City

#5 Portland

#6 Detroit

#7 Miami

#8 Tampa

#9 St. Louis

#10 Austin

DC would make the list but is exempted cause of the whole sacred nations capital only room for monuments thing.

Why isn't Birmingham on your list of disappointments???

Archived