Georgetown

tombarnes

Georgetown Park Re-Do

The owners of the once exclusive Georgetown Park hope to rekindle the luster of the mall which has been in decline lately. The quality of stores has sharply declined and the number of vacancies have conspired to make GP a less han desirable place to shop. The owners have been conspiring to change this with the addition of a Bloomingdale's in the southwest corner. Their plans also call for a great whale of a condo looming over the southwest corner as well. Does Georgetown really need more outrageous condos? There is also hope for another anchor store to balance Bloomie's on the east side of the mall. We'll have to see how this pans out with the architectural review boards. So far, architect Shalom Baranes has expressed optimism that the proposals will eventually make it through the morass of meetings and discussion. I remain unconvinced that more condos are the answer, but Bloomingdale's is a real step in the right direction for this mall.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Georgetown Park Re-Do

The owners of the once exclusive Georgetown Park hope to rekindle the luster of the mall which has been in decline lately. The quality of stores has sharply declined and the number of vacancies have conspired to make GP a less han desirable place to shop. The owners have been conspiring to change this with the addition of a Bloomingdale's in the southwest corner. Their plans also call for a great whale of a condo looming over the southwest corner as well. Does Georgetown really need more outrageous condos? There is also hope for another anchor store to balance Bloomie's on the east side of the mall. We'll have to see how this pans out with the architectural review boards. So far, architect Shalom Baranes has expressed optimism that the proposals will eventually make it through the morass of meetings and discussion. I remain unconvinced that more condos are the answer, but Bloomingdale's is a real step in the right direction for this mall.

Given the enormous costs involved with retrofitting the existing structure, I see your point. It's more likely, however, that the existing structure will be retained and simply expanded. I can't imagine the red tape involved if the entire site were to be razed and begun anew. You are right about the mall being practically inaccessible. Georgetown did not want the Metro when it was in the planning stages and now there are even a few there who would kill to have it. Of course, there are still the ostriches who prefer that Georgetown should remain harder to get to...In any event, I think the new Bloomingdale's ought to be a great improvement.

Archived