Out of Place Names

Do you have places in your area (neighbourhoods, towns, mountains, rivers...) that share a name with a more well known place elsewhere?

For example, in Providence we have a neighbourhood called Hartford, which of course is better known as the capital of neighbouring Connecticut.

Maine has towns named Athens, Cleveland, Detroit, Lisbon, Mexico, Moscow, Norway, Peru, Poland, Rome, Scotland, Sweden.

Rhode Island has villages called Jerusalem and Galilee right next to each other, a mini holy land in the Ocean State. There's also a village called Wymoming in Hope Valley.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about geographical features, but I do know that Michigan has towns named Atlanta, Charlotte, & Bellevue. Some other towns with the names of large cities in other states probably exist, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I drove past a sign in Saginaw today that had Lansing and St. Louis on the same sign. That is, St. Louis, Michigan. A sizable community might I add. Other cities I can name off the top of my head are Brooklyn and Troy.

I also know for fact that there is a Saginaw, TX. However, the Saginaw, Michigan is the true one because that was the name of the Indian tribe that lived there. I suppose this Texas town was trying to model itself after Saginaw, MI which at one time was one of the richest cities in the state.

ALABAMA CITIES:

Gadsden: AZ and AL (Also a Gadsden County FL)

Oneonta: New York and AL

Houston: TX and AL

Anderson: SC and AL

Jacksonville: FL and AL

Birmingham: UK, MI and AL

Leeds: UK and AL

Inverness: UK and AL (See the trend here? LOL)

Leesburg: FL and AL

Piedmont: NC (I think, may be TN) and AL

Albany: NY, GA and AL

Lincoln: NB and AL

Auburn: NY and AL

Fayetteville: NC and AL

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can remember off hand.

There is a Dallas Avenue in Pittsburgh(Mr. Dallas was the Vice President of the United States under Polk when Texas declared its independence, he was the biggest supporter of aiding Texas and was from Pennsylvania)!

Also:

-Boston, Pennsylvania between I-376 and I-70

-Houston, Pennsylvania I-79 south

-California, Pennsylvania I-70 east (California University (Pa.) is OLDER then Univ. of California in Berkeley the flagship of the state's system!)

-Indiana, Pennsylvania on the road to Altoona(again with its own University, Indiana University (Pa.)

-Baghdad, Pennsylvania PA-28 Expressway North

Birmingham Neighborhood in Pittsburgh

Knoxville Neighborhood in Pittsburgh

Oakland Neighborhood in Pittsburgh

and to get extraterrestial on you:

-Moon, Pa. (by the Airport)

-Mars, Pa. I-79 north

Well, I was looking last night, and found some other cities in Michigan that are also in other states & countries:

Nashville

Lincoln

Rapid City

Paris

Lexington

Sandusky

Akron

Richmond

Brooklyn

Athens

Holland

Montgomery

Birmingham

Salem

Columbus

Moscow

Portland

Frankfort

Arcadia

Reading

Allentown

Bangor

Prescott

There also seem to be several cities taken from characters and places on The Simpsons:

Shelbyville

Homer

Finally, there are also:

Not one, but three towns named Flat Rock

A city named National City...and it

Knoxville, AL (unincorporated town in of metro Tuscaloosa)

Alberta (sometimes called Alberta City - part of City of Tuscaloosa - has never been a city of its own)

Greensboro is the county seat of Hale County, AL (also metro Tuscaloosa). It is located down 69 South, a funny name in its own right.

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta has the following suburbs...

Duluth, MN

Roswell, NM

Decatur, IL

Fayetteville, AR

Canton, OH

Dallas, TX

Woodstock, NY

At least Atlanta has the following suburbs with original names...

Alpharetta

Kennesaw

Conyers

Peachtree City

Also interesting is how Athens is 60 miles east of Atlanta, and Rome is 60 miles northwest of Atlanta. Meanwhile, about 60 miles northeast of Atlanta is a town called Gainesville, which is roughly the same size as Athens and Rome. How about we get Gainesville renamed Constantinople? :D

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Lexington, Texas, a town of 1200 one hour outside Austin. Other towns in Texas are: Cleveland, Palestine, Los Angeles, San Diego, Huntsville, Atlanta, Arlington and Italy. That's all I could remember of these cities and towns.

Out of place names elsewhere are:

1. Ontario, CA

2. St. Petersburg, FL

3. Philadelphia, MS

4. Las Vegas, NM

5. Riverside, CA (the river running through is dry yall!!)

6. Portland, OR or ME

7. Austin, MN

8. Charleston, SC or WV

Archived