Out of Place Names

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Burlington, ON, which is also a city in Vermont, Iowa, Illinois, Massachusetts, and a whole bunch of other states. There's also a town in PEI called Burlington.

Actually I've just checked Yahoo! Directory and the states with "Burlington" are:

Vermont

New Jersey

NC

MA

CO

CT

IN

IA

KS

OH

PA

WA

WI

WY

Neighbouring Hamilton, ON also has twins in:

Ohio

Alabama

CO

GA

IL

IN

MA

MI

MT

NJ

NY

OH

PA

TX

VA

and also in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

There is a West New York, NJ. That's pretty weird. West New York in New Jersey? Weird.

If West NY, NJ is weird enough, you should see:

1. East St. Louis, IL, right across the Mississippi River from regular St. Louis, MO!!! :P

2. There is East Augusta, SC, across from Augusta, GA. :D

3. East Chicago, IN vs. Chicago, IL. This Chicago in IN is seperate from the regular Chicago, including North Chicago, South Chicago and Chicago Heights in IL.

These other cities are well named, even though they are cut in half by two states:

1. Texarkana, TX & AR. That's how Texarkana got its name - TEXas, ARKansas, and LouisiANA (Louisinana state line is 50 miles from here). The Ark-La-Tex region! A U.S. Post Office is located right down the state line, thus TExarkana, USA 75501. See how the flag pole divides Texas and Arkansas.

post%20office.gif

2. Kansas City, MO & KS. Coming out of KS to MO, you go over the Kansas River, but you're still in KS for another 100 feet on dry land before crossing into MO.

3. Bristol, VA & TN.

I also forgot to add to the list South Sioux City, NE across the Missouri River from Sioux City, IA.

I've got more out of place names:

1. Michigan City, IN - just minutes from Michigan state line.

2. Richmond, CA, TX, KY.

3. Sunnyvale, CA or TX.

4. Boulder, CO or Boulder city, NV

5. Midwest City, OK - not quite in the Midwest, but more tilted toward the Southern region.

6. Beverly Hills, TX - near Waco.

7. Clovis, CA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived