Two new mixed-use projects planned for Eastown

GRDadof3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bank branch at Lake and Carlton appears to be vacant now (ATM is still open). I wonder if we'll see this project move forward soon?

The bank has been empty for quite a while now. Last I heard Bazzani was having a hard time getting the project financing even though he has nearly the entire building preleased. Fun times to be a developer. :sick:

• 1 month later...

This project is now back on the PC's agenda, with a veterinary clinic planned for two of the ground floor suites. That's a nice little pocket park positioned across from where Robinson meets Lake Dr.

Hmm...that still leaves plenty of room for the Ada Bike Shop location that was also rumored for this building. Not sure if they'd keep the name Ada Bike Shop.

Still a lot of asphalt there, but at least it's behind the building. I hope they do a good job with the bicycle parking. I'm getting disappointed seeing new projects going in where they don't do this right at all.

Hmm...that still leaves plenty of room for the Ada Bike Shop location that was also rumored for this building. Not sure if they'd keep the name Ada Bike Shop.

Still a lot of asphalt there, but at least it's behind the building. I hope they do a good job with the bicycle parking. I'm getting disappointed seeing new projects going in where they don't do this right at all.

Doesn't look like Ada Bike Shop is going through with it. Too bad, this would have been a great location.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...d_retail_p.html

Doesn't look like Ada Bike Shop is going through with it. Too bad, this would have been a great location.

Yeah, I read that not long after I posted. It's too bad. :( Perhaps I will have to see if I can find out a reason. The size of the retail space available may have changed. The Ada store is pretty darn big. I don't know if they would have been going for something similar in size. I still think another shop with a good focus on service and the urban commuter + tourist + mtn biker could do pretty well on the Southeast side.

Maybe I just don't know enough about bicycle retail, though.

Wasn't Ada Bike also in the running for a space in EGR when Gaslight Village went up a few years ago?

Too bad, I keep waiting for a great bike shop within "drop off bike for repairs and walk home" distance. Gaslight or Eastown would suffice.

Wasn't Ada Bike also in the running for a space in EGR when Gaslight Village went up a few years ago?

Too bad, I keep waiting for a great bike shop within "drop off bike for repairs and walk home" distance. Gaslight or Eastown would suffice.

Yes. And they ran a sponsorship ad on the Bike GR map, and we added their little locator bike to the EGR Salute to Womanhood vicinity. The map was on the press when they called to say, "oops."

• 1 month later...

...Ada Bike...

Looks like they found a spot. Across Fulton from the forthcoming Opera GR building is a small retail strip, including a party store, coffee shop, sandwich place, bicycle/mower repair, and a bakery. This is the block between the Family Fare and the Salvation Army HQ.

Ada Bike's logo is already on the window of the western side of the storefront. According to one of the mower repair fellows, the paint rollers are coming soon. (When, you ask? The sign went up last week.)

This is great news. Every time I've stopped in there for parts, I have had to use a form of Charades to get what I need. Terms such as "derailleur" or "brake lever" are not understood.

Street view:

http://tinyurl.com/yc97whe

• 1 year later...

It's nice to see a re-use of an existing building instead of an existing building getting flattened to the ground. A new building might have been nice, but I can't complain about this as they are going to continue to share the lot with the rest of the neighborhood, which is nice. With the office building next door now significantly vacant, it's good to see something new going in. Hopefully CWD will finally lower the rents to prices that attract more tenants and get something going in the area besides "Hot Yoga" whatever in the world that is. CWD sure has a lot of signs plastered all over that area.

It's going to be renovated into a veterinary clinic. I thought I had posted something about it a week or so ago...

CWD owns a lot in that area. I don't know if more signs equals their reluctance to do something?!

Would have been nice if the Bazzani Building had panned out. I know a veterinary clinic was mentioned as a tenant so they must have stayed with the area when the development fell through.

Joe

It's nice to see a re-use of an existing building instead of an existing building getting flattened to the ground. A new building might have been nice, but I can't complain about this as they are going to continue to share the lot with the rest of the neighborhood, which is nice. With the office building next door now significantly vacant, it's good to see something new going in. Hopefully CWD will finally lower the rents to prices that attract more tenants and get something going in the area besides "Hot Yoga" whatever in the world that is. CWD sure has a lot of signs plastered all over that area.

You're probably not missing much.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Bikram_Yoga

Don't bash it until you try it. I have a cousin who swears by her Bikram yoga routine and I know one of the instructors.

When Amy and I were regularly attending one winter right near our house, I noticed a marked increase in my flexibility, balance, and core strength. Need to get back into it...

Jeff, I don't think you posted the architect's sketch on UP...I know I remember seeing it on your Twitter feed. :)

http://farm6.static....dcb53a91a_o.jpg

I was was under the impression from the drawing that they were still tearing down the bank building and rebuilding a less ambitious project than the mixed use building originally planned. However, I guess it's possible that it's a renovation?? I don't know enough about it.

I did find that Eastown Veterinary Clinic received a $1,000,000 ARRA financed loan from the Small Business Administration: http://projects.prop...ntity/826313959

It's nice to see a re-use of an existing building instead of an existing building getting flattened to the ground. A new building might have been nice, but I can't complain about this as they are going to continue to share the lot with the rest of the neighborhood, which is nice. W

Geez, you don't give up do you?

Don't bash it until you try it. I have a cousin who swears by her Bikram yoga routine and I know one of the instructors.

blush.gifCrap, I knew I should have left out the snide comment. Sorry!

My sister's a yoga instructor too (though I don't think she's tried Bikram). I'll have her bend me in her most painful positions to atone for my insult.

WTF? What coveted business are you in x99? Other than the business of naysaying and chain-restaurant loving?

When Amy and I were regularly attending one winter right near our house, I noticed a marked increase in my flexibility, balance, and core strength. Need to get back into it...

Jeff, I don't think you posted the architect's sketch on UP...I know I remember seeing it on your Twitter feed. :)

http://farm6.static....dcb53a91a_o.jpg

I was was under the impression from the drawing that they were still tearing down the bank building and rebuilding a less ambitious project than the mixed use building originally planned. However, I guess it's possible that it's a renovation?? I don't know enough about it.

I did find that Eastown Veterinary Clinic received a $1,000,000 ARRA financed loan from the Small Business Administration: http://projects.prop...ntity/826313959

Ohh, right, that's where I posted that.

Archived