Grand Rapids Zombie Walk

EastownLeo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly Andy. While I totally don't condone hanging from street light crossbars, the city's urge to try and "formalize" every single event is stifling a lot of creative ideas. Young people, especially, like things that aren't sanctioned by the city or by a big event sponsor. They like spontaneity and a little bit of rebelliousness (without property damage). Or at least I did when I was young. Didn't you veloise?

I guess it comes down to figuring out what downtown is. Is it an office park, where building owners and businesses control the association and maintain secure borders and order, or is it a neighborhood center open to all citizens (as long as they obey simple law and order). People hanging from light poles should be ticketed. People doing property damage should be ticketed and/or fined. Move the event out of downtown or discourage similar events? Way overreaching.

I find it interesting that people who turn a blind eye to homeless behavior would have a problem with a little downtown disruption by mostly employed citizens and students.

Just because they weren't buying umbrellas doesn't mean they weren't supporting DT. The bars and restaurants were pretty packed with Zombies before and after the event.

I think the biggest problem is that the city and police were expecting less than a thousand people to show up - not over 4,000.

For the benefit of those with impaired reading comprehension, I have added some boldface. HTH.

I was standing on RPC minding my own business (well, letting zombies bask in the afterglow of the Chicken Dance) when Jay appeared at my elbow. (I think I've mentioned before that I used to work for him at city hall. And we attend the same church.) He brought up the aforementioned issues of private buildings and vehicles and traffic and handprints. Today he mentioned the zombies who shimmed up the traffic light standards and hung from the crossbars, making the traffic lights bounce up and down.

FWIW, the DDA is comprised of a board; it's not one person thinking that the event was fun or worth repeating. It would be interesting to hear from building owners and DDA/DTA members. ...

I'm sure Veloise meant no harm. Although Veloise, when you make a post like that, and you dont' agree, you should probably state that you do or don't agree. Otherwise, people make assumptions and we have this mess. HTH. Carry on.

I'm sorry I missed the damn thing. I would've loved to take my daughters down there. It would've been great to see their reaction.

I'm sure Veloise meant no harm. Although Veloise, when you make a post like that, and you dont' agree, you should probably state that you do or don't agree. Otherwise, people make assumptions and we have this mess. HTH. Carry on.

I'm sorry I missed the damn thing. I would've loved to take my daughters down there. It would've been great to see their reaction.

Oh, let's let it rest. Not everyone has to enjoy blowing off some steam once a month with silly pillow fights and halloween costumes and turkey (and maybe tofurkey?) potlucks. But a lot of people do. I say its all the better if they want to do so in a public downtown space.

Count on a few a idiots for every thousand, but don't blame Rob. He has been remarkably creative and responsible in planning these events.

Keep 'em coming.

Next time you're riding around downtown with a camera, please take some shots of some gum on the sidewalk and all the city owned trees missing branches that drunks snap off every single Friday and Saturday night all over the city where ever there are bars....that's a bigger issue than the zombie walk.

I think despite your attempts to hide behind Jay that it's very obvious from the "timbre" of your posts you didn't like this event...so be it...many people don't agree with you.

Perhaps the thanksgiving buffet will be more to your liking...but there will no doubt be some turkey gravy spilled on Calder Plaza and good volume of trash generated. I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

I'll jump off the wagon here with one last comment, I'm just very pleased that there is a progressive generation that is taking some risks, trying new things and pushing the envelope around GR. It certainly takes a lot of courage to do what Rob is doing and hope the negative nay-sayers fall quickly on the way side.

I hope old attitudes don't contaminate much more than the boards here on UP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Lucky guess on the date. Rob has revealed that he is organizing a zombie walk.

But wait! there's more. It will be followed by a free electronic music festival at RPC.

This leads to some interesting pairings, if one scrolls through the list of his previous events and pairs them off with others:

Pillow fight

Zombie walk

Thanksgiving potluck/picnic

Santa Clause invasion

Chalk flood

Water balloon fight

Paper airplane dump

Archived