COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

I agree the inside of the Hilton is beautiful, they did a nice job with the outside of the 1st floor but the upper levels need a facelift. One of the mayors priorities is to bring the Crowne Plaza up to date (4-star standards) as the Hilton was...hopefully they can do more exterior work there then they did on the Hilton

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little while ago Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez wanted to annex parts of Goodwin Park from Wethersfield and Keney Park from Windsor into Hartford. The towns starting fussing and I have not heard anything on it since.

The fact of the matter is that the city of Hartford sits on a little more then 17 square acres making it one of the smallest cities (size wise) in the country. Right now Hartfords suburbs are thriving and do not want any part in Hartfords debt or problems. They feel completly fine with competing for Hartford for jobs (lets not forget ING probably bringing 2000 jobs from Hartford to East Hartford and WFSB leaving Hartford for Rocky Hill) when they all should be competing as one to lure jobs to the entire area. Also Hartfords suburbs would not be what they are today without Hartford. Companies that are leaving Hartford for its suburbs were originally lured to Hartford because most companies wanted city offices and so why would they move to Glastonbury or Rocky Hill or Windsor?

On a Differant note: Steel rising from the Hartford 21 tower on Thursday from just past the Hilton by the entrance to I-84W and the 12B parcel

IMG_0795.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sure you mean square miles. Providence is roughly the same size and the last annexation was in the early 1900's from the town of Johnston. Cranston(twice) and North Providence were also invaded in the latter half ot the 19th century.

Question: Hartford 21 tower. What type of use will it have?

Mark

Hartford 21 is pure residential from probably the 2nd or 3rd floor up.  The base is basically where the Hartford Civic Center Mall used to be, they are inverting it so the stores face out, not in....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. That mall was ill conceived. It took walking traffic away from the downtown streets, which is where you want them. The Worcester Mall(Atrium?) was the same way. What were they thinking of in the 70's and 80's? One of the reasons Providence Place has been so successful is because stores and restaurants open onto street level. Fully enclosed malls may work in the burbs, but not in the downtown areas of mid-sized cities.

Mark

Thanks. That mall was ill conceived. It took walking traffic away from the downtown streets, which is where you want them. The Worcester Mall(Atrium?) was the same way. What were they thinking of in the 70's and 80's? One of the reasons Providence Place has been so successful is because stores and restaurants open onto street level. Fully enclosed malls may work in the burbs, but not in the downtown areas of mid-sized cities.

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the one in downtown Stamford does ok, but that might just be a local anomoly. In general, you are 100% right though....

I am sure you mean square miles. Providence is roughly the same size and the last annexation was in the early 1900's from the town of Johnston. Cranston(twice) and North Providence were also invaded in the latter half ot the 19th century.

Yes Hartford and Providence do sit on small pieces of land as do many northeastern cities. The thing is downtown Providence has the Providence Place Mall to bring in taxes from big name stores, Springfield has Tower Square and the Eastfield Mall, Worcester is working on its common outlets downtown. All though some of these malls could be placed in the suburbs or are loacted on the edges of these cities (Eastfield Mall-Springifeld) they are in the cities are thus generating much needed tax revenue. Hartford has 3 major malls within 15 minutes, 2 lifestyle centers within 15 minutes, West Hartford Center, and numerous other malls within 25 minutes but none are in Hartford and so are not generating taxes to the city. The only commercialzed area of the city generating taxes like this is the South End by Brainard Airport and the North Meadows.

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hartford 21 is pure residential from probably the 2nd or 3rd floor up.  The base is basically where the Hartford Civic Center Mall used to be, they are inverting it so the stores face out, not in....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be 53,000 square feet of retail space and 93,000 square feet of office space in addition to the 262 residential apartments in the 36 story residential tower.

• 3 weeks later...

The topping out ceremony will be in mid October, so we've got about 5 weeks until the tower reaches its full height of 440ft.

The completion of the tower's exterior and interior won't be until next summer.

The topping off ceremony is going to be today at 2:00. I just saw it on Channel 3 this morning. People had the chance to sign the last beam today between 9 and 1. I would have signed it but I work way out in Simsbury.

Attended the topping off ceramony today at 2:00 on Trumbull Street

Another great ceramony to welcome another great project to the city of Hartford. It was so great to see that so many people came to the ceramony which is just about a month after the grand opening of the Hartford Marriott Downtown (Aug 25).

There were loads of business people who work downtown who took time out of there day to come and watch.

The event was attended by Govenor Jodi Rell and Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez

The topping off ceremony is going to be today at 2:00. I just saw it on Channel 3 this morning. People had the chance to sign the last beam today between 9 and 1. I would have signed it but I work way out in Simsbury.

Thats amazing how fast they finished the last 7 floors! Consider this...the first 29 floors took about 30 weeks to complete (mid January thru the end of August). The final 7 floors took only 4 weeks. I guess they really put the project into 2nd gear to get it done asap. That's NYC type speed right there. :D

Northland.com

click on 'real estate portfolio'

After clicking on real estate portfolio click on developments and there will be two projects listed, click Hartford 21

The capital city economic development authoritys page on hartford 21 includes numerous renderings also, link below.

http://www.cceda.state.ct.us/civiccenter/index.htm

WOW, thanks for posting these! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

As spectacular as the first photo is, I think I like the 2nd one even more. I'm always a big fan of "cluster" pictures.

The science center is going to make a hell of an impact on the first photo, and get rid of that ugly surface parking. :)

Archived