COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

A year is a long time. The Bliss Market is a big tenant, and I'm happy about that, but the YMCA is just a relocation, and a poor one. The new Y lacks a pool, basketball courts, and racquetball courts.

Spiritus is another downtown relocation.

My concern is the empty storefronts, and the empty stores Sullivan is leasing on Pratt.

I'm also concerned why Northland can't get some of the old Civic Center tenants back; B Dalton bookstore, GNC, TJ Maxx, etc. These stores did well and were kicked out for construction. There should be no reason for them not coming back.

Grock:

The YMCA lacks a pool? What a dumb thing to do -- is the other YMCA still open? Downtown needs a gym with a pool -- the Hartford's YWCA has a pool.

JimS

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the YMCA justified the lack of having a pool at the new facility in H21 by saying they were creating a partnership for YMCA members to use pools at other parts of the city like at Trinity.....

That's STUPID!! The YMCA is building a new building here -- and it'll have a pool. I guess the YWCA can still be used. (And I remember when the Y had clothes optional swimming there!!)

JimS

Even Blueback is a gamble, it's just a fairly safe one.

What Asylum/Trumbull offers is a daytime population that dwarfs any suburb, a growing residential population and a growing number of hotel guests. Given those trends, at some point it the demographics should make sense for retail. For the developers and business owners it comes down to timing. Mayor Mike's, Red Plate and Tapas on Ann got there early and are thriving. Those places were a net increase.

One thing is certain, it is a very interesting time in the city.

I would imagine that the rents all BBS will not be very cheap

That's sad for folks at the Linden.

It's only about 4 blocks. What's 4 blocks for urbanites? I walked from Bill's Automotive at Buckingham to Pratt Street when I need to have my oil changed, it's a nice walk. If the folks in Linden need their fine booze, then a bit of strolling is all it takes.

I spoke with the owner or manager of Spiritus, Northland did not give then a break on the lease

Well, I like the comment in the article from Chuck Coursey, "retail follows roof tops". You know that all these apartments will soon be at least 80-90 percent filled, and when that happens the retail will be quick to respond.

New HBJ article - http://hartfordbusiness.com/news1475.html

"For those developers who report they are working on deals to bring retailers to downtown, it is proving to be a long, arduous task."

When we were looking for a space for our shop, we called a lot of for lease phone numbers, repeatedly, that posted on the windows of all those empty retail spaces, and most of phone calls were not returned. The one did return our phone call - State House Square, told us no they don't want a coffee house at their building. We didn't call "One of its downtown retail spaces on Pearl Street has been vacant for nearly seven years. Despite an extensive makeover of its storefronts on Pearl Street, there were still no takers, said Marty Kane, senior vice president of Talcott." Because the space in question is on the street level of their totally ugly with a F parking garage. If the builder wants to ruin the street scape with a parking garage, then don't expect any retailer to take a claustrophobic afterthought addition as a retail space. I literally gave up on looking for a space in Hartford, and the only reason we ended up in Hartford was my wife make one last phone call to Nyberg's office and he happened to answered the phone - we already left 5 messages with his office and he knew nothing about us calling.

By the way, even though we have very good relationship with Nyberg, and his people know we are looking for a New Haven location for another shop, when one of his retail spaces in New Haven was available, they gave it to Starbucks.

When we were looking for a space for our shop, we called a lot of for lease phone numbers, repeatedly, that posted on the windows of all those empty retail spaces, and most of phone calls were not returned. The one did return our phone call - State House Square, told us no they don't want a coffee house at their building. We didn't call "One of its downtown retail spaces on Pearl Street has been vacant for nearly seven years. Despite an extensive makeover of its storefronts on Pearl Street, there were still no takers, said Marty Kane, senior vice president of Talcott." Because the space in question is on the street level of their totally ugly with a F parking garage. If the builder wants to ruin the street scape with a parking garage, then don't expect any retailer to take a claustrophobic afterthought addition as a retail space. I literally gave up on looking for a space in Hartford, and the only reason we ended up in Hartford was my wife make one last phone call to Nyberg's office and he happened to answered the phone - we already left 5 messages with his office and he knew nothing about us calling.

By the way, even though we have very good relationship with Nyberg, and his people know we are looking for a New Haven location for another shop, when one of his retail spaces in New Haven was available, they gave it to Starbucks.

That's messed up and I had similar experiences finding a location for my cell phone store that's now located in Bloomfield. They are being too picky and are not receptive in many instances. I'm sure that they all come running when a national name calls though, which I do understand, but c'mon there's a lot of space to lease and there is no way most of it will go to national retailers.

That's messed up and I had similar experiences finding a location for my cell phone store that's now located in Bloomfield. They are being too picky and are not receptive in many instances. I'm sure that they all come running when a national name calls though, which I do understand, but c'mon there's a lot of space to lease and there is no way most of it will go to national retailers.

I would have thought even the densest blockhead has figured out by now that most national names ain't coming. With low downtown residential head count and continuous lost of jobs to suburbs, it's very stupid to frustrate potential retailers by not returning their calls. It make them feel unwelcome.

I am not in commercial real estate, but I can't for the life of me understand why a coffee shop and a cell phone store would be rejected, especially given that your space needs--I presume--weren't extraordinary, certainly not the scale of a Borders, B&N or clothing retailer. If I'm a national retailer, I'd look around Hartford and think, this supports no retail. But if a few stores like yours are moving in, then I think, ok, it's not a developed retail market, but there are enough feet on the street to support these businesses. I mean, especially given that people don't need a cell phone every day. If you thought you had enough of a customer base in Hartford to support a store, then surely shops that generate more frequent visits should have an interest.

I'm not sure how agressive these leasing agents are.

There is no excuse for the empty storefronts on Pratt Street.

It seems like owners are more picky on who they want in their storefronts????? Of course this is a buyers markets....

You know, I really don't blame retailers for not wanting to commit with sh*t like this going on - where are the cops? I don't want to hear any "It's only 1 random case" baloney - there has to be ZERO TOLERANCE for this Downtown.

Man Beaten, Robbed On Church Street

7:54 AM EDT, May 11, 2007

By HILDA MU

No downtown in America is 100% crime free. NONE. It's a good goal but not a realistic expectation.

I guess I'm more frustrated in the LACK OF ANY REAL POLICE PRESENCE in the Downtown area. I go days sometimes not seeing one cop. I realize there are far worse problems elsewhere, but the cold hard truth is that if people don't feel safe Downtown, they are not coming Downtown.

You know, I really don't blame retailers for not wanting to commit with sh*t like this going on - where are the cops? I don't want to hear any "It's only 1 random case" baloney - there has to be ZERO TOLERANCE for this Downtown.

Man Beaten, Robbed On Church Street

7:54 AM EDT, May 11, 2007

By HILDA MU

Theo....did you even read this story? I'm not saying the victim deserved what they got by any means, but what was he thinking? Unfortunately we don't live in a society where you can go around asking for rides around downtowns of cities when you forget where you parked your car.

I don't see how this is reflective at all of a poor police presence downtown. The police cannot follow citizens around making sure they don't make dumb decisions.

Theo....did you even read this story? I'm not saying the victim deserved what they got by any means, but what was he thinking? Unfortunately we don't live in a society where you can go around asking for rides around downtowns of cities when you forget where you parked your car.

I don't see how this is reflective at all of a poor police presence downtown. The police cannot follow citizens around making sure they don't make dumb decisions.

Well, after thinking for a few minutes, I do realize that a more robust police presence Downtown could have allowed him to ask a cop for help instead of random strangers.

Archived