COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

Yeah that makes sense. I would think with a 30% discount, and some 7000 employees H-21 would be over full. but it makes more sense that it is not advertised because they would prefer full paying renters.

Welcome to the board Hboy

and how bad is it over at Aenta? I have a job search coming up and was thinking about giving some of the big insurance companies a shot at me.

Why thank you VoR!

Actually, I like my job just fine even if it's not exactly what I want to be doing. Morale in the company really depends on what department you're in. I'm in expat benefits and since that market is growing, I feel safe about my job (phew!). You do see some gloomy faces though, and sometimes you feel like you're in a time warp. You know, some people never got around to changing their look since 1985. Big hair and big shoulder pads. Yikes!

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in the Advocate regarding what I had posted a couple months back. The people behind Crobar nightclubs (NYC, Miami, Chicago, Buenos Aires) are putting a restaurant/club in Hartford 21.

THANKS

http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=8357

LINK! :)

Name is Tantana

Well that can only be a good thing right?

based on what he is saying it reminds me of a beachfront place in the town I grew up in Sunset Beach. but well not on the water. same food and vibe I am sure though.

SNIP

Can you tell me about the new club you

any word on that? And any idea why Whole foods isn't a perfect match??

They are a big box store. West Hartford probably gave them enough of an incentive to stay out of Hartford. It's a shame how in this region each town screws each other and the big chain stores win.

• 2 months later...

any word on Tantana or Capitol Grill?

also, I went to Bliss Market over the weekend. I think this place would be an amazing fit for the grocery retail space in H21. it almost seems like Larry G built the place with Bliss in mind. Any updates on this?

Um, Bliss was the restaurant that was planned to be there, and they already backed out...

i saw some people in the grocery store area today. they looked like potential investors/entrepreneurs. Anyone know more about this?

I noticed workers polishing up the Trumbull St. facade this week. All the doors were worked on as well. This may be a continuation of the work Northland did recently on the Pratt St. storefronts or I hope it's something more.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Looks like Larry is hot on the trail of a grocery store again!

Its funny too, because I heard something from a co-worker 2 weeks ago that the origonal market that was lined up is now back into the picture and a deal was made.

now I see on cityline(sorry no link) that Larry is saying he has reason to hope but does not list a name or anything concrete.

Hartford Courant: Hartford City Line Page 1/3

Downtown Grocery Store Might Be On Horizon

Larry Gottesdiener's goal for 2008 was to have a downtown grocery to

match his downtown housing at Hartford 21.

That didn't happen. But now he says he's got reason to hope.

"I really think we have something with the grocery right now,"

Gottesdiener said last week. But he wouldn't say anything more. "It's

too premature to announce it."

Gottesdiener's 36-story, 262-unit apartment tower opened in September

2006. He is losing $2 million a year in rent, but he doesn't want to

sign the wrong retail tenant, or the right one that won't stay open on

weekends.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually think this is great news.

When this program was announced, the press release led me to believe it would be located down by Hartford Hospital.

this news is essentially that St Josephs is locating its entire doctoral program downtown. Back when this was announced, there was mention of several other doctoral programs, so it is possible that this is really the creation of a downtown campus. The great thing is all of the details how they will partner with downtown businesses and such to feed the kids.

I actually think this is great news.

When this program was announced, the press release led me to believe it would be located down by Hartford Hospital.

this news is essentially that St Josephs is locating its entire doctoral program downtown. Back when this was announced, there was mention of several other doctoral programs, so it is possible that this is really the creation of a downtown campus. The great thing is all of the details how they will partner with downtown businesses and such to feed the kids.

Concurred..... This will bring a lot more bodies downtown, translating into more people spending money at local businesses.

Bank to lease H21 retail space.

http://www.hartfordb.../news11252.html

NICE!

I am glad its New Alliance. they are a fairly major bank in the region, and rank as the 4th largest in Metro Hartford. They were the largest bank in the metro without a downtown location. Being that they have 34 Branches and 2.1 Billion in deposits locally, This will add the most to the street traffic and hopefully help make Hartford 21 more attractive to others.

As I posted in I think it was the economic development thread, there are still a few other banks with a major presence in the metro without downtown branches.

Liberty Bank, Rockville Bank, and Farmington Bank being the three largest.

I suspect Farmington will be the next bank to announce a downtown location due to their announcement of plans to open 6 branches in the area.

i guess having a tenant is better than not, but i don't quiet get why big fascination or push for having more banks in that space?

i think having a bank branch downtown is probably one of the worst things you could do to that space, unless you want to make it pretty much useless for the term of the lease.

how many banks do you really need on the corner of asylum and trumbull? a single atm machine would be enough. the foot traffic that you're talking about probably won't make a difference, being it's during the day and i doubt any place is struggling during the day in downtown while people are working there.

the bank most likely won't be open on the weekend, just an entrance to the atm machine; and even if it was, how many people do you actually think will drive out from suburbia into downtown to do their banking? i bet close to 0.

also, i doubt that anyone going out to downtown hartford is going to base their decision based on if XXXX bank has an atm machine downtown or not.

yes, i guess it's great there there will be 10 or whatever new people working in downtown hartford and it's a new business that's going to get taxed, but it's a drop compared to what that place would contribute if it was actually taken by some sort of a retail/restaurant business.

i suppose beggeras can't be choosers though.

NICE!

I am glad its New Alliance. they are a fairly major bank in the region, and rank as the 4th largest in Metro Hartford. They were the largest bank in the metro without a downtown location. Being that they have 34 Branches and 2.1 Billion in deposits locally, This will add the most to the street traffic and hopefully help make Hartford 21 more attractive to others.

i guess having a tenant is better than not, but i don't quiet get why big fascination or push for having more banks in that space?

i think having a bank branch downtown is probably one of the worst things you could do to that space, unless you want to make it pretty much useless for the term of the lease.

how many banks do you really need on the corner of asylum and trumbull? a single atm machine would be enough. the foot traffic that you're talking about probably won't make a difference, being it's during the day and i doubt any place is struggling during the day in downtown while people are working there.

the bank most likely won't be open on the weekend, just an entrance to the atm machine; and even if it was, how many people do you actually think will drive out from suburbia into downtown to do their banking? i bet close to 0.

also, i doubt that anyone going out to downtown hartford is going to base their decision based on if XXXX bank has an atm machine downtown or not.

yes, i guess it's great there there will be 10 or whatever new people working in downtown hartford and it's a new business that's going to get taxed, but it's a drop compared to what that place would contribute if it was actually taken by some sort of a retail/restaurant business.

i suppose beggeras can't be choosers though.

The only thing I disagree with is the assumption that foot traffic Downtown is where is should be during the work week. I think it actually could be much higher and since many offices have Cafeterias and ATMs in them I honestly think it helps to have someone's bank branch within walking distance to possibly coax them out onto the mean streets during the day.

Archived