COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or does the building have too much familar with the city place design. It looked nice in renderings, and I am sure there is yet to be alot done to the final exterior, but it looks close to design of city place with the exterior finish.

Anyways, nice pictures. Where did you take the last two from? I do not recognize those spots.

Geez... you Hartford people are soooo blessed to have a skyline like that. What a lovely, lovely city! What I like most about it is its presence within that beautiful green canopy... It reminds me alot of Tallahassee in that respect, however, unlike us, you all actually have a fairly dense downtown with well crafted buildings... please send us some of whatever Hartford is eating.

Well Hartford IS a city of Significant Importance... it is a Capital City... the U.S. only has 51... as a resident of a Capital City I wear it like a badge of honor... No city in your state can ever come before yours... Hartford is where the buck stops in Conn.

I was a bit surprised to learn the city of Tallahassee has a larger population (but not by much) than Hartford... you wouldn't know it looking at the skylines.

Well Hartford IS a city of Significant Importance... it is a Capital City... the U.S. only has 51... as a resident of a Capital City I wear it like a badge of honor... No city in your state can ever come before yours... Hartford is where the buck stops in Conn.

I was a bit surprised to learn the city of Tallahassee has a larger population (but not by much) than Hartford... you wouldn't know it looking at the skylines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, it takes an act of God to annex land up here, so hartford is stuck with the land it has without being able to add more and bolster it's population, like some cities in the South and West can. I think most cities up here, Boston, Providence, Bridgeport, Springfield, etc, are in the same boat....

New England cities are more likely to split into smaller pieces than they are to annex surrounding towns. Parts of Portland, ME have suceeded in recent years. There was talk of Roxbury leaving Boston in the 80s, the new city was to be called Mandela.

New England cities are more likely to split into smaller pieces than they are to annex surrounding towns. Parts of Portland, ME have suceeded in recent years. There was talk of Roxbury leaving Boston in the 80s, the new city was to be called Mandela.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! I had never heard about that before.

The fact that every town in New England has very strict, defined borders doesn't help much either. I was amazed as a teenager to venture out to the south and west and realize that not all states are like this, and in fact, most are just the opposite.

here's an exerpt from a conversation I had with someone years ago in the Richmond, VA area, paraphrased of course...

me: "what town are you from?"

fellow I'm talking to: "Henrico County"

me: "yeah I know, but what town do you live in?"

fitt: "town, what do you mean? I just live in Henrico County"

me: :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh, what a horrible idea, become smaller and less effective, not that most cities are real effective to begin with....

Mandela!? Like... Nelson Mandela?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Roxbury is largely black, and the sucessionist movement happened at a time when race relations in the city were at a particularly low point. This was also when Mandela was still in prison in South Africa.

Is it me or does the building have too much familar with the city place design. It looked nice in renderings, and I am sure there is yet to be alot done to the final exterior, but it looks close to design of city place with the exterior finish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Th exterior cladding is similair to CityPlace, not exactly cutting edge. However, once the glass is put in place, it'll make the building look much better. I think its an average/above average design, nothing too spectacular and nothing that we'll regret.

Anyways, nice pictures. Where did you take the last two from? I do not recognize those spots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This one was taken from the West Hartford reservoir, close to the entrance on route 44.

Hartford21August5small.jpg

This was also taken from West Hartford(Balfour Drive), on the east facing slope of Avon Mountain.

Hartford21August3small.jpg

I can't resist it...

I love that Downtown in the middle of those trees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one of the top 3 best things about Connecticut, it does an unparalleled job of hiding all the over development with trees. Even the heavily Urban areas look great because there are nice maples or oaks all over the place.

Unfortunately, it takes an act of God to annex land up here, so hartford is stuck with the land it has without being able to add more and bolster it's population, like some cities in the South and West can.  I think most cities up here, Boston, Providence, Bridgeport, Springfield, etc, are in the same boat....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little while ago Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez wanted to annex parts of Goodwin Park from Wethersfield and Keney Park from Windsor into Hartford. The towns starting fussing and I have not heard anything on it since.

The fact of the matter is that the city of Hartford sits on a little more then 17 square acres making it one of the smallest cities (size wise) in the country. Right now Hartfords suburbs are thriving and do not want any part in Hartfords debt or problems. They feel completly fine with competing for Hartford for jobs (lets not forget ING probably bringing 2000 jobs from Hartford to East Hartford and WFSB leaving Hartford for Rocky Hill) when they all should be competing as one to lure jobs to the entire area. Also Hartfords suburbs would not be what they are today without Hartford. Companies that are leaving Hartford for its suburbs were originally lured to Hartford because most companies wanted city offices and so why would they move to Glastonbury or Rocky Hill or Windsor?

On a Differant note: Steel rising from the Hartford 21 tower on Thursday from just past the Hilton by the entrance to I-84W and the 12B parcel

IMG_0795.jpg

Archived