COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

I like how it will tie into the street. However, what's up with the YMCA as a tenant? Will it have a full gym?That was a new resident's gripe about the city in a previous post. Overall, it's a sexy building....Just curious as to overall commitment to leases...not interest...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The YMCA will mainly be a workout facility on the second floor. The main space at the corner is in negotiations with Borders Books and/or Virgin Records. A specialty gourmet market (like Balducci, Dean & DeLuca etc.) is under negotiation for Asylum St, along with a clothing boutique and a lounge/nightclub on the corner of Asylum and Ann. Trumbull St., is in negotiation with two restaurants. A hip, ultra trendy restaurant with owners from South Beach and an Italian bistro.

The YMCA will mainly be a workout facility on the second floor. The main space at the corner is in negotiations with Borders Books and/or Virgin Records. A specialty gourmet market (like Balducci, Dean & DeLuca etc.) is under negotiation for Asylum St, along with a clothing boutique and a lounge/nightclub on the corner of Asylum and Ann. Trumbull St., is in negotiation with two restaurants. A hip, ultra trendy restaurant with owners from South Beach and an Italian bistro.

Sounds great. I'd really love to have that main retail space be a Borders. This way it'll give residents and visitors alike a place to congregate, hang out if it's raining out, talk over a cup of coffee, and of course peruse through some books - and maybe even buy one or two!

I've always thought Hartford lacks "gathering places" (excluding nightclubs and bars). A borders would be a great start. A large pool hall somewhere in the CBD is on my wish list as well.

Yup, something like a D & B would be perfect (so long as it was incorporated into an existing urban building) I would hate to have something like that come to town only to build a detached 15,000 sq ft building surrouned by parking lots.

Yup, something like a D & B would be perfect (so long as it was incorporated into an existing urban building) I would hate to have something like that come to town only to build a detached 15,000 sq ft building surrouned by parking lots.

True, but if they must have a lot surrounding it, we have plenty of available spots north of 84 and along Capitol Ave. I would like to hope they would incorporate with Downtown though, but I can see why they would want plentiful affordable parking somewhere near by.

A tower Records or Virgin mega store would be a nice addition, I don't think it would hurt the smaller shops around downtown. I personally like Barnes and Noble better, but a Borders would also be a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it back to Hartford this past weekend, and it just so happened to be monsoon season! I was planning on a large Hartford photo tour, but the rain never let up and the visibilty was incredibly poor. I did manage to snap a few photos of H21 on my way back to NY this morning - just before the heavy rains moved in AGAIN.

Hartford21May2006large2.jpg

Hartford21May2006large.jpg

Hartford21May20063.jpg

I think it looks very nice. I'd like to get a better look at the top, but I love the pic SOCOM took from ground level.

Very nice indeed.

I want it.

Hey I've got an idea. You Hartford forumites: I'll trade you our two Waterplace towers for your H21. Anybody interested? :rofl:

I think it looks very nice. I'd like to get a better look at the top, but I love the pic SOCOM took from ground level.

Very nice indeed.

I want it.

Hey I've got an idea. You Hartford forumites: I'll trade you our two Waterplace towers for your H21. Anybody interested? :rofl:

I am soooo curious to see how the top comes out. They've been working on it forever! It's supposed to light up at night.

PLEAASSE make the business climate competitive with the "hot" markets in the country. I'd love to see that skyline fill in bit more, and Hartford deserves to regain its profile as a mid-major city. This building looks very sleek. I'm not the biggest fan of the marriot, but this fits my sense of style. With some of the world's best universities and overpriced New York and Boston nearby, Hartford needs to set itself apart as an affordable alternative (as of now it's not). Is there anyone in power who is thinking like this?

Damus:

The business climate needs to improve, but I doubt that -- unless VOTERS wake up and elect people who would help the state BY REDUCING REGULATIONS and TAXES -- you'll see it. I would love to see someone -- EVEN a DEMOCRAT -- to run on reducing business regulations and business taxes.

JimS

D&B would be awesome. I've wanted one up here for like 5 years now.

I totally agree....I think that stores and restaurants that are not already in the area are key. For example the D&B would be the only one in CT and the other ones would be in Providence and Buffalo. This is why I think stores like Cabela's and Stew Leonard's are very important.

Damus:

The business climate needs to improve, but I doubt that -- unless VOTERS wake up and elect people who would help the state BY REDUCING REGULATIONS and TAXES -- you'll see it. I would love to see someone -- EVEN a DEMOCRAT -- to run on reducing business regulations and business taxes.

JimS

I agree here. We need to elect a pro-growth legislature, otherwise growth will remain stagnent. :(

I totally agree....I think that stores and restaurants that are not already in the area are key. For example the D&B would be the only one in CT and the other ones would be in Providence and Buffalo. This is why I think stores like Cabela's and Stew Leonard's are very important.

There's a Dave and Busters at the Palisaides Mall in New York, it isn't far at all. me and some friends from jersey used to meet up there go see a movie and have a ton of fun in that place...

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the May 8, 2006 edition of TIME Magazine and I saw a full page ad for Hartford 21 and I was just curious to know if advertising is regional or if that was a national ad? I will post the picture as soon as I get my scanner to work.

They do regional and national ads... I'm sure that was regional..

Archived