COMPLETED: Hartford 21

Cotuit

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More affordable housing? look... hartford doesnt have alot of premium area's. It needs to have a highly desireable area with high rents, exclusive( if thats the right word) God knows there are enough low rent people and apartments in our fair city.

I shouldve specified and said downtown. Younger professionals and college grads typically cant afford to live downtown.

I shouldve specified and said downtown. Younger professionals and college grads typically cant afford to live downtown.

Young professionals and college grads are the ones we want living in downtown Hartford. These individuals have the opportunities to start businesses in Hartford, they need to be drawn to this city. These individuals are also the ones who if they moved downtown would walk around the streets, frequent city businesses, have a date at a downtown restaurant and enjoy a Friday night at a downtown club or bar.

• 3 months later...

I'm a big fan of H21 and I hear the apartments are filling up, but it's been a year since the Y opened and it remains the only non-resident tenant. Is Sullivan/Hayes reputable in terms of leasing? They also have plenty of stores empty on Pratt.

I don'tthink it's a failure at all. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think Northland is being really picky with tenants.

are they THAT picky as to leave themselves largely void of retail a year after completion? Could it be they are asking to much rent or, worse yet, there just isn't demand for the space?

are they THAT picky as to leave themselves largely void of retail a year after completion? Could it be they are asking to much rent or, worse yet, there just isn't demand for the space?

This could be, but they've proven pretty savvy in most of their endeavors so far, so I'm assuming they know something I don't....

Larry G is in negotiations for a high end Liquor Store that will go next door to Bliss Market. He hopes they will both open on around the same date.

The 2,000-square-foot liquor store would be 85 percent fine wines, plus beer, distilled spirits and other products, he said.

Coursey would not identify the new liquor store but said he "hoped" its opening would coincide with that of the grocery store. A lease has yet to be signed.

Courant Article

Tycoon --

As an administrator, this is exactly the type of thread you should delete. It's a complete flame. If rock wants to start a H21 discussion he should do it with a less insulting title.

As the moderator you are responsible for "moderating" the behavior of the posters. USE THE POWER.

Point, taken. I agree with you. I'll change the title to something more neutral.

Tycoon --

As an administrator, this is exactly the type of thread you should delete. It's a complete flame. If rock wants to start a H21 discussion he should do it with a less insulting title.

As the moderator you are responsible for "moderating" the behavior of the posters. USE THE POWER.

No offense, but unless I'm mistaken, these boards are for open, honest discussion about cities and their issues. They are not fan sites or booster clubs. If he thinks it's a failure, let him post his opinion, then if you think he's wrong, you can blow his thinking out of the water.

The liquor store really isn't a new business.

H21 is trying to take Spiritus away from its location in SoDo, so it really isn't a gain. for downtown, just a new location.

Sorry if the language was insulting in the title.

That's sad for folks at the Linden.

There is bound to be some repositioning of retail stores as the population of downtown shifts towards the city center.

Trumbull on the Park is 80% rented, H21 is 30% rented, more than half of the 78 Sage Allen lofts are already rented and American Plaza across the street from Sage Allen looks to be opening in some capacity in the summer or fall. This activity pushes the residential population center of downtown north up Main Street. Some shifting of retail will take place.

I don't think the residents of the Linden will be without a place to buy liquor for very long. Spritus has proven that the location can be successful, someone will fill it.

We tend to forget the size of H21 --262 apartments. If it is 30% full as the leasing office claims. That is 78 apartments. The projections are for it to be full (and it will never be full because people will be coming and going, moving in and out) sometime in 2009. One would expect the retail scene to be very different by then.

The liquor store really isn't a new business.

H21 is trying to take Spiritus away from its location in SoDo, so it really isn't a gain. for downtown, just a new location.

Sorry if the language was insulting in the title.

That kind of sucks then since I live in SoDo and really like Spiritus.

No offense, but unless I'm mistaken, these boards are for open, honest discussion about cities and their issues. They are not fan sites or booster clubs. If he thinks it's a failure, let him post his opinion, then if you think he's wrong, you can blow his thinking out of the water.

he hasn't the slightest information regarding how the hartford21 is doing. he has no worthwhile reason to think anything about this building's success, failure or any other status. and by the way, your writing has improved dramatically all of a sudden.

he hasn't the slightest information regarding how the hartford21 is doing. he has no worthwhile reason to think anything about this building's success, failure or any other status. and by the way, your writing has improved dramatically all of a sudden.

Don't need inside information to see that no retail stores have opened 1 year later, and that is certainly disapointing.

A year is a long time. The Bliss Market is a big tenant, and I'm happy about that, but the YMCA is just a relocation, and a poor one. The new Y lacks a pool, basketball courts, and racquetball courts.

Spiritus is another downtown relocation.

My concern is the empty storefronts, and the empty stores Sullivan is leasing on Pratt.

I'm also concerned why Northland can't get some of the old Civic Center tenants back; B Dalton bookstore, GNC, TJ Maxx, etc. These stores did well and were kicked out for construction. There should be no reason for them not coming back.

A year is a long time. The Bliss Market is a big tenant, and I'm happy about that, but the YMCA is just a relocation, and a poor one. The new Y lacks a pool, basketball courts, and racquetball courts.

Spiritus is another downtown relocation.

My concern is the empty storefronts, and the empty stores Sullivan is leasing on Pratt.

I'm also concerned why Northland can't get some of the old Civic Center tenants back; B Dalton bookstore, GNC, TJ Maxx, etc. These stores did well and were kicked out for construction. There should be no reason for them not coming back.

doesn't blueback square have a laundry list of tennants already? a year after opening, h21 only has 2 - the Y and Bliss.

West Hartford is an affluent community with an already bustling center. It is a very easy sell. What Larry G. is doing downtown is many times harder. One would have to be a complete idiot not to see the difference.

[/qu

exactly! retailers go where the money is. they want to be in developments in west hartford center like blueback, evergreen walk in south windsor and the commons in canton. they don't want to be in poor cities like hartford with the hope people in the suburbs will drive 10 minnutes past the more convienent stores with the free parking to shop in hartford. what is there notable for retail in all of hartford? tuesday's/smt/fiona stone?

there are reasons to be optimistic about the city, but there are also points of concern. the 'chicken or egg' with retail is the same argument hartford has used for the lack of retail for years. well now the state laid the egg with the subsidized residential development, will the city ever hatch the chicken?

Even Blueback is a gamble, it's just a fairly safe one.

What Asylum/Trumbull offers is a daytime population that dwarfs any suburb, a growing residential population and a growing number of hotel guests. Given those trends, at some point it the demographics should make sense for retail. For the developers and business owners it comes down to timing. Mayor Mike's, Red Plate and Tapas on Ann got there early and are thriving. Those places were a net increase.

One thing is certain, it is a very interesting time in the city.

Hmmm...

What I'd like to see at H21 are small mom & pop stores -- with names from the past! I'd love to see someone open up a bookstore there called Huntington's and if the Savitt family agrees -- a jewerly store called Savitt. Just think of what could be - maybe even a varity store called Sage-Allen.

JimS

Archived