Carrington

hub-city

Johnson Development has announced plans for a new Luxury development on the former Woodburn Place condominium site. It will be called Carrington. He wants it to be a "natural extension of Converse heights". Naturally, current residents have some concerns about the increased traffic on the secondary entrance on Canturbury road, but overall they are excited about something coming to the area.

40 single family homes ranging from 2200 - 3000 sq. feet, but moderatly priced starting in the low $100,000s. Land Art Group is handling the landscape plan and should begin in the fall with lots going for sale in the spring.

ARTICLE

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very satisfied with this concept... I was originally concerned with this being developed as multi-familly like it used to be. I think that the extension of Canterbury into the site and the establishment of a neighborhood-like grid in this area will be great for the Converse Heights/Fernbrook area. The price range that they are shooting for also fits in with the City's goal of bringing back the middle class. The HJ's report seemed to identify individual complaints, rather than what the overlying concerns are for this project. I, for one, am happy so see this kind of development taking place. I'm also glad that they will add a park. The City needs new housing stock and this is a great location in all respects.

I wouldn't worry about the Canterbury entrance. Wasn't there one to the condo's that used to be there anyway? Looks like it on Google Maps.

I am very satisfied with this concept... I was originally concerned with this being developed as multi-familly like it used to be. I think that the extension of Canterbury into the site and the establishment of a neighborhood-like grid in this area will be great for the Converse Heights/Fernbrook area. The price range that they are shooting for also fits in with the City's goal of bringing back the middle class. The HJ's report seemed to identify individual complaints, rather than what the overlying concerns are for this project. I, for one, am happy so see this kind of development taking place. I'm also glad that they will add a park. The City needs new housing stock and this is a great location in all respects.

I wouldn't worry about the Canterbury entrance. Wasn't there one to the condo's that used to be there anyway? Looks like it on Google Maps.

"The lots will range in size from one-fifth to one-third of an acre with prices starting in the low $100,000s."

Unless I'm reading the above quote wrong, it is the LOTS that start in the low $100,000s, not the houses themselves. I'm all for this development, but it isn't quite as affordable as it first appears.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the lots start at $100,000 so it is a luxury development. JD is going about this the right way. This site will have the large park as stated above but will also have sidewalks lighting and nice streetscape features. LandArt Design Group is the planning firm doing this project, a plus is they are located in Spartanburg.

• 5 months later...

Sparkleman, just an FYI since you're new. We generally don't allow the "copy & pasting" of information from other websites on UP. Reiterating the information is fine, but we want to encourage discussion so giving a link to the page that has the same info is preferred.

Thats a great find though. Thanks for sharing that. Here is the image of the full site plan. It looks pretty good except that I would rather see more homes fronting Woodburn Ave and I'd rather there be one more connection to Woodburn about where the current entrance to that property is located.

carringtonrendering.jpg

I'm sure that with only one Woodburn Rd entrance and fewer houses on the main road is supposed to give it a more private feel. I would not be surprised if they even went to the trouble to put a guard house out there or made it gated to keep regular folk away from some of the snobs of Converse Heights.

That site plan represents a step in the right direction, but at the same time I think it still demonstrates how the suburban residential development model is still the default, even in urban environments. I would much rather this development adhere to the traditional grid model.

Since we are talking about neighborhoods here, allow me to go ahead and toot the horn of the one that I live in and consider to be among the best in the "SC". Hillbrook is everything you could want in a neighborhood. Sure there are a few houses (mine included that sit outside the city limits), but 9/10 are inside. We only have 1 true road that could be considered a cut through(Webber Rd), so traffic is minimal. We have an active neighborhood association, a neighborhood pool as well as 3 baseball fields where kids come from all over to participate, and a neighboorhood lake (22 acre Floyd's Lake). You can also ride a bike over here safely and not worry about being run down. The majority of houses are ranch style and sit on at least 3/4 acre lots with fully mature trees all over. Most streets are quiet and the houses have been well maintained and the property values have risen fairly over the years. Now with the propsed Easton Marketplace, we will have quality retail and restaurants a stone's throw away, but at the same time we will be insulated from the traffic due to most people entering Hillbrook from Fernwood/Glendale Rd rather than Main at Webber. I never thought I would live here since I grew up in Converse Heights, but I have now bought two houses over here and will probably be here until they take me to the final "home".

One thing that you can't tell from that site plan is that the topography is not the most favorable out there (here's an aerial). Its relatively steep in some areas, particularly around the edges of the parcel that back up to the railroad. And now that I think about it, the homes that back up to Woodburn (on the bottom of the plan) would be fairly high off the road (10'-15' maybe?). Its really a pretty good site plan given the constraints of that site.

Sure we do. It meets about once every month or every other month up at St Pauls Methodist Church. The dates are posted on the stop sign up at Hillbrook Dr & Fernwood/Glendale usually a week before the meeting.

Hmmm... The only thing I've ever noticed was an occasional crime watch notice, but I'm a full-time telecommuter and don't go out that often. When I do go in and out that entrance, I'm usually concentrating on Fernwood-Glendale traffic and don't notice much else.

• 8 months later...

True. But I think we are all used to the mass-developed spec houses in Boiling Springs and whatnot. Back when Converse Heights was developed, houses were built over several years and not all at once. This neighborhood should ideally be built the same way.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived