It's Election Day!

fotoman311

50 minutes in line before I got my ballot. Lots of young people in my district, which includes parts of Heritage Hill. Ran into two sets of neighbors, a guy who works at the neighborhood store, another guy who did a couple of PedalGR rides, and a couple of other people I felt like I recognized.

*proudly wearing my sticker*

As we were approaching the table to get our ballots, one poll worker said they already had more voters after 45 minutes than they'd had the entire day at the August primary. I was ballot #117.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was ballot #24 (usually ballot #3 in other elections at the same time)

There was a line when i arrived at 7am, but I was in an out within a half hour. I also too saw many of my Union Square Neighbors!!!

San Chez is also giving away a free tapa with your "I Voted" sticker.

If nothing else, it is so exciting to see so many people involved this election year!!

Ballot 33 - #37 to go through the counter. Not sure how that works, but OK.

In line @ 7:05, in my car @ 7:30. Would've been quicker, but we had to organize the lines and procedures for the election workers, as they were overwhelmed by the large crowed. I'm sure they are much more accustomed to the small crowds of a non-national election. Usually I am ballot 4 or 5. One year I was ballot 7 - @ 5PM. Scary.

Voted by mail about three weeks ago (forgot who I selected for the dog catcher slots). No sticker...the one from the primary is on my bike helmet.

The year I worked the primary, we had about 100 voters by 8 pm. Someone on Shelley Irwin's show mentioned the Cedar Point-like zig-zag lines with voters lined up.

Wearing my Hollyhock Lane July 4 parade shirt, so I doubt **$$ will challenge my voter status.

I would've voted at 10 or 2 - just to miss the crowds - because I work close enough to my polling place to be able to sneak out for a little while. However, my 8-yr old wants to come with Mom and Dad, so we're going to wait until suppertime. The downside is not being able to wear the sticker all day... :unsure: I'll let you know the length of line and # tomorrow...

BTW, AlexPKeaton is exactly right; any promotion giving something for evidence of voting is illegal. Otherwise you'd have widespread money-for-votes in certain "reliable" neighborhoods... :whistling:

Starbucks had to go national with its retraction, making a tall coffee free for anyone who asked for it - regardless of voting status. Krispy Kreme donuts were free also...

Ward 2 Precinct 1 (St. Thomas School Gym). Voted this morning at around 7:45a.m. - took about 20-30 minutes from start to finish. I had ballot #100 and was #102 to feed it to the machine. We had six actual stand up "booths" to mark your ballot, but there were several other spots around the gym they were stationing voters to fill out their ballots.

Got my sticker and like others I'm sporting it proudly. Also enjoyed an election day Krispy Kreme at lunch. Delicious - with red, white and blue sprinkles!'

*fish

Was ticket number 254 at around 9:45am in my local Plainfield Twp precinct. Stood in line with my wife for about 45 minutes (got there at 9am). Precinct Polling crew lead mentioned that they expected about 1000 people today So... doing the math: 245 votes in the first 3 hrs = about 80/hour. Polls open for 13 hours x 80/hr = about 1000 voters. Having said that, it strikes me that we were there at what should have been about as "off peak" a time as possible. The pre-work and after-work rushes have got to have even higher volumes. If so, 1000 total voters may be too low an expectation in my precinct...?

The process was pretty smooth, although I long for those days pre-"chad" when we had the latest/greatest LCD touch screens. This "fill in the circle with your pen" drill only conjurs up nightmares of 50 page political science tests in my college days.

BTW in non-presidential years, my precinct usually never has more than 2-3 people in it when I vote.

Took Yesterday off for the election, and a Doc Appt.

I was #244, and there was no waiting at all when I went (8:45 AM) Although that generally is the case in my precinct, since a lot of the people vote absentee.

That being said, I never got my sticker, but I still got my free coffee from Starbucks! (And paid for it later in other ways)

Also:

23w1mwn.jpg

Best Image Yet from this election.

Archived