Grand Rapids Area Election Results Breakdown

GRDadof3

Word. Someone from OH coming to the Kent County thread is probably only stirring the pot.

As to the stem cell question, I don't see any startups because of it, since as others have said, Michigan's a little late to the party. OTOH, it does raise the possiblity that the VAI could start stem cell research in 5-10 years. With an increasing emphasis on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, this may be even more likely. Gotta find something to fill up VAI 2, right?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Word. Someone from OH coming to the Kent County thread is probably only stirring the pot.

As to the stem cell question, I don't see any startups because of it, since as others have said, Michigan's a little late to the party. OTOH, it does raise the possiblity that the VAI could start stem cell research in 5-10 years. With an increasing emphasis on Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, this may be even more likely. Gotta find something to fill up VAI 2, right?

I don't consider re-distributing wealth to be a sound political policy. It is marxist, class envy, and always ends with terrible consequences. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

But I will concede to you givent this is a GR political thread and I have no statistical data to substantiate my opinion.

I was thinking about with the MI legislature in control by the Democratic party, and a census taking place in 2010 how a demo shift might impact redistricting for the US House.

Since the Democratic party is in control, could we see a major shift in how the districts are drawn? Especially if it looks like Kent County is trending blue for a few years, this could give Democrats in the state a reason to redesign Vern Ehlers' or Pete Hoekstra's seat to favor a Democrat.

If a new district included a bluer Kent county, and a reliably blue Muskegon County, with Greenville for example, that would make any race for the US House in the area very competitive. I could see a Kent-Ottawa-Muskegon-Small chunk of Montcalm district take shape. Throw in a strong Democratic candidate in that district, and it becomes hard to see it going to the GOP.

It Also makes it extremely difficult to Imagine that Both Hoekstra and Ehlers retain a seat in the house if this happens.

I was thinking about with the MI legislature in control by the Democratic party, and a census taking place in 2010 how a demo shift might impact redistricting for the US House.

Since the Democratic party is in control, could we see a major shift in how the districts are drawn? Especially if it looks like Kent County is trending blue for a few years, this could give Democrats in the state a reason to redesign Vern Ehlers' or Pete Hoekstra's seat to favor a Democrat.

If a new district included a bluer Kent county, and a reliably blue Muskegon County, with Greenville for example, that would make any race for the US House in the area very competitive. I could see a Kent-Ottawa-Muskegon-Small chunk of Montcalm district take shape. Throw in a strong Democratic candidate in that district, and it becomes hard to see it going to the GOP.

It Also makes it extremely difficult to Imagine that Both Hoekstra and Ehlers retain a seat in the house if this happens.

While I chose to vote third party and not for either of the candidates (Yeah, I was and still am a Romney supporter) I have a very patriotic viewpoint when it comes to the president.

My view: If he is the guy that was voted in, then I will support him while he is in office. If I do not agree with his policies and I am disappointed with his performance, then in 4 years I will have the chance to vote for someone else.

With that said, the presidency, in my opinion, is more of a symbol to the world of who we are and what we stand for more than anything else. That is why the presidential seal has an eagle on it.

Okay, I will fess up that I voted for Bush and now regret it. I think that he gave us a very poor standing with the world and his foreign policy was a disaster. I do not think that Obama will do the same. And, even though I did not vote for him, he is my president (to be). Therefore, he's on my team and I will have his back because he is representing me.

So, I will finish with this: I do not care who anyone voted for. I will not accept people on each side giving each other a hard time about their views on things. We are all Americans. Obama is our next president. Deal with it. Because we ALL need Obama to succeed. We have had too many failures in the last 8 years that we cannot allow him to fail. We owe it to our country to come together and roll out a fresh America to the world

That is why you'd have to have a strong Democrat who is well known in the area to take him on. I'd look at someone serving in the State Legislature, and has been for a while. The other thing is that redistricting could set up a Hoekstra/Ehlers primary battle if Michigan loses another district (which I expect to happen)

I find it incredible that Dems one 8 of the 20 seats on the County Board. Incredible! Of course, GR City went blue, but that has been a long-time trend. But to see Kent County vote for Obama really blew me away. (I think the last Democrat to win the County was LBJ.)

I think that Vern Ehlers is reasonably safe. I actually like him a lot -- he is very smart, sophisticated on environmental issues and one of the more moderate GOP members in the House. I grew up worshiping GOP moderates like George Romney and Bill Milliken. These were thoughtful governers who did great things (it helped, of course, that Michigan was so bloody rich. Different times now.) There is no reason that Ehlers would be in jeopardy, unless the legislature (or the new Supreme Court) creates a Third District that includes Muskegon City, avoids any part of Ottawa County, takes in GR and ends in the campus districts of Ann Arbor.

On the Ehlers/Hoekstra topic, isn't Ehlers over 80 years old? (I might be wrong, but I swear I heard he had hinted at retirement before this election even)

If they re-drew his district, he might just retire.

I predict Hoekstra will run for Governor and probably win (the baggage DeVos carried will not affect Hoekstra and he has some Foreign Relations power in Washington that he could spin as job-creation-connections to foreign countries perhaps).

I don't think either of those two have much to worry about even if they did get redistricted. In his current district Ehlers won nearly 70% of the vote at a time when Kent county voted bluer than it has in 40+ years. For example he covers EGR (which voted for Obama by 8% and Levin by 10%).... so it's not as if his constiuents were just voting straight-ticket republican.

I don't think either of those two have much to worry about even if they did get redistricted. In his current district Ehlers won nearly 70% of the vote at a time when Kent county voted bluer than it has in 40+ years. For example he covers EGR (which voted for Obama by 8% and Levin by 10%).... so it's not as if his constiuents were just voting straight-ticket republican.

On the Ehlers/Hoekstra topic, isn't Ehlers over 80 years old? (I might be wrong, but I swear I heard he had hinted at retirement before this election even)

If they re-drew his district, he might just retire.

I predict Hoekstra will run for Governor and probably win (the baggage DeVos carried will not affect Hoekstra and he has some Foreign Relations power in Washington that he could spin as job-creation-connections to foreign countries perhaps).

Now that I have blown off months of pent up steam...which obviously and somewhat regretably came to and unfortunate head yesterday after the election. I will just say this...

I didn't vote for Obama nor do I agree many of his principles. That said, he is the president. Such a position demands honor and respect for anyone who holds it and I will give it to him. The majority of the country voted for him and since I respect my fellow Americans...I also respect their decision.

I want nothing more than my country to succeed. If putting aside political differences is what needed for that to happen so be it. After all....we are all Americans first....(insert political party here) second. I will not rebuke my conservative principles, however, I will personally try harder in the future to keep my emotions in check.

ANYWAY...

I have to say I am proud that Ottawa Co. finally passed the Sunday alcohol sales proposal. In my opinion, it was long overdue.

Archived