2008 Election

all2neat

What do you think will be the impact to Baton Rouge from last nights election?

Obviously the River Center expansion won't get built now, or funding will have to come somewhere else if it does but are there any other long term, or even short term things that you now see happening or not happening?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned the drawbacks to the bill on this board...including the lack of any chance for passing another tax in the next 30 years for farther improvements and the lack of private funding for ALIVE.

They should have split the bill up into 2 parts. It was a mistake on Holden's part, and I am sure that his administration will push the infrastructure improvements again soon without the ALIVE funding.

I've mentioned the drawbacks to the bill on this board...including the lack of any chance for passing another tax in the next 30 years for farther improvements and the lack of private funding for ALIVE.

They should have split the bill up into 2 parts. It was a mistake on Holden's part, and I am sure that his administration will push the infrastructure improvements again soon without the ALIVE funding.

Rumor has it that the voters up in Zachary and Central may have been the difference in the "No" vote?? 51%-49% It seems alot of residents up there a feeling they don't get enough of thier share of the improvements; and are not effected by this.

There are alot of bridges all across EBR Parish in bad need of repair or replacing. Synchorization of lights is badly needed also; but Zachary & Central are not included in that. I understand the no vote there. But this is still disapointing! That old status-quo mentality still exist; it's ashame!! It's why some chose to leave for other city's. I commend Mayor Holden for his vision. The Police HQ's is in bad shape; so is some of the sewage infrastructure.

I hope Audubon Alive can still happen somehow; maybe even a hotel for the River Center?

BTW congrats to the BR Forum for it's 8,000th reply this past week! BR has come along way from the early days. It sure has been something I have enjoyed! Thanks NCB for getting the ball rolling here for us! :thumbsup:

i dont think it should have been split up....i mean come on...whats less than $10 extra a month..We the people spend over $7 in 1 night just to see the latest movie...Or grab a bite to eat at a fast food spot and i can go on...But the reason why we really shouldn't have split it up is like Kip said....Time is not on our side..we are already over 30 years behind plus we are spending millions paying other parishes to help with our problems and if u compare to other cities our taxes are much more lower than other cities...We have a mayor who's trying to turn the city around. Thats what we elected him for so we should take advantage of the blessing offers we get now because the next mayor could be worst than the older mayors...Everything on that tax plan...we needed...not if it said....build kip holden a house bigger than the white house or something of that nature than i wouldnt approve ...but we are really behind for real and this type of stuff is the reason big investors will continue to pass BR up

Archived