Gay Rights in America

Charlotte_native

Vermont's legislature just legalized gay marriage, and overrode a veto by Vermont Gov. Jim Douglas.

Vermont becomes the first state to enact gay marriage from legislation, instead of through the courts.

How will all the opponents paint this? Can't scream about 'activist judges'!

So glad that the wave seems to keep moving...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 9, 2009----New York governor David Patterson says he will re introduce a bill to legalize gay marriage in the state. But NY Senate leader Malcolm Smith still fears the votes don't yet exist for it's passage. Both men are staunch supporters of same-sex marriage.

In the meantime, Rhode Island governor Donald Carcieri has joined an anti-gay marriage group. A group called National Organization for Marriage plans to flood New England with it's fear mongering commercials. As with other anti-gay leaning people, Carcieri continues to claim he isn't anti-gay.

In the meantime, Rhode Island governor Donald Carcieri has joined an anti-gay marriage group. A group called National Organization for Marriage plans to flood New England with it's fear mongering commercials. As with other anti-gay leaning people, Carcieri continues to claim he isn't anti-gay.

I just saw one of these ads on tv for the first time yesterday. They are very odd and at first I thought they were supporting gay marriage. Sucks for them!

Carcieri keeps saying he wants the people to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage in the state. I am surprised we don't already have it. State employees can have domestic partners on their health insurance, and a handful of state legislators, town administrators and mayors are gay.

Carcieri keeps saying he wants the people to decide whether or not to allow gay marriage in the state.

Why are my civil rights ever put up to a public vote? Excuse me, but doesn't the US Constitution guarantee equal rights for everyone?

Apparently everyone in the States has equal rights----everyone but queers. Our rights can be put up to a public vote!!!!!

Why are my civil rights ever put up to a public vote? Excuse me, but doesn't the US Constitution guarantee equal rights for everyone?

Apparently everyone in the States has equal rights----everyone but queers. Our rights can be put up to a public vote!!!!!

Silly, silly. A lot of Americans are Christians, and since more of them are than aren't and believe the Bible says a person of the same sex shouldn't shack up with another person of that sex, we all have to adhere to it. The Constitution takes a back seat to the Bible, doesn't it? Since the Bible trumps everything married couples (straight of course) need to quit getting divorsed, quit cheating on each other, no more swinging and wife swapping, and if they do break up no getting married to someone else.

And since the only part of the Bible that even mentions gays at all is the old testament (funny how most Christains don't even know that) then no more eating of shellfish or pork, animals need to be raised and slaughtered as sacrifice whenever we do things unpleasing to god, and women who cheat on their husbands need to be stoned to death in public. Those rules are all in the same part of the Bible that says men with men are a no-no.

• 2 weeks later...

I am totally straight and don't even have the homosexual tendancies that we are supposed to have. Nevertheless, I totally support gay marriages. My mom is religious and has no problem as well as other Christians that I know. That being said, and I have said it before, gays have the same rights to a life of hell as any other married couple. This being said, if this ever comes to fruitation, I hope that the gay couple will be looked at as a "couple" and not a "gay couple" so that equality and fairness doesn't have to be an issue.

I am totally straight and don't even have the homosexual tendancies that we are supposed to have. Nevertheless, I totally support gay marriages. My mom is religious and has no problem as well as other Christians that I know. That being said, and I have said it before, gays have the same rights to a life of hell as any other married couple. This being said, if this ever comes to fruitation, I hope that the gay couple will be looked at as a "couple" and not a "gay couple" so that equality and fairness doesn't have to be an issue.

This is a very nice post, and I really appreciate it caterpillar.

I am guessing you are a young person. This type of thought seems to be somewhat common among young Americans. Young Americans appear to understand issues of fairness far better than people 65+.

Gay marriage is right around the corner folks. And open-minded young heteros like caterpillar will probably end up leading the charge.

Well said. I second that, word for word. IMO, anyone should be able to pursue happiness in whatever way they please, so as long as it does not harm anyone else in the process. If two men or women want to marry each other, then let them, I won't loose any sleep over it. For that matter, I see no place in my life where it causes harm to me and besides, I don't want people denying me happiness, so why should I deny anyone else? I put forth the question to those who are against it....WHAT part of you exactly is being harmed by these people coming together in marriage? Haven't gotten an answer yet...

Another great sign for marriage equality:

The Connecticut legislature voted in gay marriage by a comfortable margain. Of course the Connecticut high court made gay marriage legal a while back, but the legislature has now put it into law as well.

This makes two states that have legalized gay marriage through their legislatures. (The other being Vermont)

• 2 weeks later...

Maine has become the fifth American state to allow gay marriages. The new law was a legislative triumph, making it even sweeter. It was signed into law by Maine Gov. Baldacci.

**a sidenote on gay issues: Rev. Fred Phelps has been entered on Britain's very own Personas Non Gratis list. We applaud Britain for making it clear that hate speech isn't to be tolerated.

Maine has become the fifth American state to allow gay marriages. The new law was a legislative triumph, making it even sweeter. It was signed into law by Maine Gov. Baldacci.

**a sidenote on gay issues: Rev. Fred Phelps has been entered on Britain's very own Personas Non Gratis list. We applaud Britain for making it clear that hate speech isn't to be tolerated.

^ :alc::yahoo: on both counts!

Yesterday I heard an amusing local radio talk show in which straight opposition to gay marriage was discussed.

Since "protecting marriage" is a common reason given for opposing gay marriages, the moderator asked married heterosexuals to call in to discuss how a gay marriage (or a gay person) has threatened their own marriage. Not one caller reported a gay person breaking up their relationship, or a gay marriage threatening their own relationship.

However, many of the hetero callers reported their own marriages had been threatened by another hetero, or even another hetero married person.

So the moral of the story is that other heteros are indeed a possible threat to break up a hetero marriage. But gay people or gay marriages offer no threat to hetero relationships.

Seems like that reason alone would make insecure heteros jump on the gay marriage bandwagon :excl:

Yesterday I heard an amusing local radio talk show in which straight opposition to gay marriage was discussed.

Since "protecting marriage" is a common reason given for opposing gay marriages, the moderator asked married heterosexuals to call in to discuss how a gay marriage (or a gay person) has threatened their own marriage. Not one caller reported a gay person breaking up their relationship, or a gay marriage threatening their own relationship.

However, many of the hetero callers reported their own marriages had been threatened by another hetero, or even another hetero married person.

So the moral of the story is that other heteros are indeed a possible threat to break up a hetero marriage. But gay people or gay marriages offer no threat to hetero relationships.

Seems like that reason alone would make insecure heteros jump on the gay marriage bandwagon :excl:

Ha! When pigs fly in this simpleton-minded political culture we live in. There will always be those "chicken littles" of the world that will use the "it will threaten my marriage" ploy. Ignorance doesn't evaporate by the presentation of rationale.

.........There will always be those "chicken littles" of the world that will use the "it will threaten my marriage" ploy.

Yes you're 100% correct. Here's what I see:

Usually when heterosexuals claim gay marriage would threaten their own marriages, what they are really saying is: "I dislike and fear homosexuals."

quite a few years ago in one of my urban planning courses, the professor raised an interesting topic on the definition of family. in the then-local context of student housing and zoning regs, the prof suggested we might see the definition of family become narrowed or expanded in lieu of litigation regarding groups of students living under one roof in a single-family dwelling zoned district. the class discussion opened up to include the narrowing/expansion of marriage as well in similar circumstances. my take away being that litigation often narrows/expands definitions of phenomena from seemingly illogical or unexpected situations.

from what seemingly illogical source of litigation might the definition of marriage become narrowed/expanded?

I take the liberty to bring you a good news from France concerning transgender people.

On the occasion of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, the French ministry of Health announced that transgender issues will be removed from the list of mental illnesses. :)

I take the liberty to bring you a good news from France concerning transgender people.

On the occasion of the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, the French ministry of Health announced that transgender issues will be removed from the list of mental illnesses. :)

This is terrific news. Of course, the very idea of labeling transsexuality as a "mental illness" is absurd in the first place.

Another note: Popular actress Cynthia Nixon has announced she is engaged to marry her long time partner Christine Marinoni. The couple reportedly wants to be married in New York, and N.Y. Gov. Patterson is continuing to press for full gay marriage in the state.

And in other news Repulican leader Steele gave a speech this weekend and stated that the GOP should use gay marriage as a focused issue once again -- this time taking the angle that small business owners will be hurt by it because of the cost of benefits. They don't even try and pretend they are manufacturing a wedge issue. What a pack of a**holes.

How about trying to run on good solid policies and ideas instead of fear??

And in other news Repulican leader Steele gave a speech this weekend and stated that the GOP should use gay marriage as a focused issue once again -- this time taking the angle that small business owners will be hurt by it because of the cost of benefits.

Micheal Steele has lost all credibility, and all relevance. I've never heard such a goofball logic in my life---maybe if they really bought this logic, small business owners should discourage their hetero employees from getting married (thus incurring added expense to the business.)

The Republican party will stop at nothing to openly show contempt to gay people. This latest excuse for continuing discrimination really sounds stupid.

^

Agreed. That is the most ridiculous excuse I have ever heard. IMO, the employees would be happier. As we all know, happy employees are the most productive ones, which therefore means a more efficient and profitable business. If the GOP is to rebuild their party and contribute to our political process, they can first start by getting rid of this clown.

The worst part is they openly pander to large groups who welcome the pandering. From the parts of the speech I read, it really didn't come across they the party had a problem with gays, just that they needed to find an issue to jump on to find voters. I love how we gays are being used and something that affects our life and ability to lead our lives as we please is being used just to try and gain power.

I guess they realize the last 8 years and the current economic crisis prevents them from trumpeting their great fiscal ideas. The results speak for themselves...so attack the gays!!

Gov. Christine Gregoire of Washington has just signed a measure expanding the state's civil union laws. Gay couples in a civil union will have all the rights as married couples......except the word marriage.

And of course tyranny from mob rule might overrule it, as fanatics have until July 25 to gather 120,000 signatures to put it on a statewide ballot.

Archived