Relocating to Orlando

GE Turbine Man

I will be relocating to the Orlando area within the next few months with my new job, and I am curious to hear about people's opinions about the different places to live in town. Currently, I live in a reasonably small downtown urban area (Greenville, SC). I will be working on the East side of town at SIEMENS, and my wife will also be working on that side of town, so I will obviously have a preference for that side. However, I don't know much about the area, and would prefer to live in a "great" area, even if it means a bit of a commute.

Please shoot out your recommendations. Right now, I live in an urban center, and really enjoy walking to most things I do. But I also don't want to get stuck in traffic every day on the day to work.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lived in the Orlando area for over 25 years. I suggest Winter Park, College Park or Thornton Park for single family living. If you are looking for multifamily/condo living go for the core of downtown. In this market, you the buyer is in control. There are soooo many great deals in the areas I just mentioned. Good luck and welcome to Orlando.

You do not mention if you have kids or are planning on having kids. If so, I would stay in Seminole County, the Oviedo area would be a place to start looking. It has good schools and is close to community colleges and UCF. If schools are not important for you, I'd suggest Thornton Park, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, or College Park. The schools are not bad in the other areas, they are just overall better in Seminole as a rule. Oviedo is mostly suburban, as is most of Orlando, There are only a few areas urban enough to be walkable.

You do not mention if you have kids or are planning on having kids. If so, I would stay in Seminole County, the Oviedo area would be a place to start looking. It has good schools and is close to community colleges and UCF. If schools are not important for you, I'd suggest Thornton Park, Winter Park, Baldwin Park, or College Park. The schools are not bad in the other areas, they are just overall better in Seminole as a rule. Oviedo is mostly suburban, as is most of Orlando, There are only a few areas urban enough to be walkable.

Also keep in mind that some people live in Thorton Park and Downtown because schools are important to them - Lake Highland and other private schools.

Lots of parents also like the public schools in those neighborhoods as well. I live in Wadeview and our schools are Blankner (K-8) and Boone. Both are A schools. Both have great programs. Both are situated in neighborhoods that are very walkable. The neighborhood is surprisingly affordable too.

My husband works at Lockheed on the east side of town. Even though we used to live further east near Lee Vista, his commute is pretty easy since he's commuting from downtown to the east side.

I'll also second Oviedo and Seminole County in that area, but I know people that live there and commute to Lockheed that say it's hell out there. Lots of leap frog development; lots of traffic congestion.

Avalon might not be a bad choice either. The schools aren't bad, though pretty crowded (b/c they're better than the other ones in the area)

No kids, so school districts aren't too important, unless there is a big enough difference to help or hurt resale.

Winter Park keeps popping up when I do searches, so I will be looking there. I'd like to say downtown is an option, but what would the commute be like? If I am looking at a google map, where is the "urban center?"

No kids, so school districts aren't too important, unless there is a big enough difference to help or hurt resale.

Winter Park keeps popping up when I do searches, so I will be looking there. I'd like to say downtown is an option, but what would the commute be like? If I am looking at a google map, where is the "urban center?"

The urban center of Orlando is Orange Avenue & Central Blvd I'd guess, or 32801. The nice thing about Orlando is that it has lots of nice downtown neighborhoods I would stay on the eastern side of downtown, Thornton Park is very nice and abuts downtown. Baldwin Park is a new development situated on the east side of Orlando abutting winter park to the north. It's a pretty easy commute east to siemans. Other neighborhoods off the top of my head are Lake Davis, Lancaster Park, Delaney Park, Lake Cherokee, Lake Eola, Colonial Town etc. Many of these neighborhoods are mostly single family and quite a few are historic neighborhoods. If you live closer to downtown you'd be a reverse commuter. SR 408 is a major e/w expressway. It's hell if you commute to downtown, but an easy drive if you commute from downtown. Other major e/w arterials are SR 50 and Aloma Ave. but they can inspire road rage on a busy morning.

Here's the City of Orlando's web page where you can look up the various neighborhods. http://www.cityoforlando.net/gis/nbhd_maps.htm

Ditto on Baldwin Park, you are close enough to downtown w/o the congestion of all the traffic and you are also close to some suburban life if you wish for that...

If you want a very suburban atmosphere with convenience (lots n lots of grocery stores,shopping, anything you could need within minutes) and more East side is Avalon Park or Waterford Lakes

No question - Baldwin Park. Prices are relatively low at this point, and you might be interested in a townhome (or even a Village home), but you can't beat the experience of living in a masterpiece. AND, the school are better than most Seminole Schools in Baldwin Park.

I agree with Surina - if you want to live way out there (it's too far for my taste), Avalon Park. Otherwise you may be interested in College Park.

Oviedo is a suburban dive.

+1 for College Park, thats where I call home. It's already been said but it is much easier getting out of downtown in the morning.

IMG_0296.jpg

View from the house.

I don't hate anyone but am beginning to have a strong envy bordering dislike for you right now. Just kidding, that view is amazing!

-1 for Avalon Park. It is waaay over crowded, and it is far (18miles) from downtown orlando. I used to live out there, the construction quality of the homes and the town center are several levels below to Baldwin and Celebration. If you like suburban style, try East Wood, its a nice subdivision before Avalon Park. My money is for Baldwin Park, Winter Park, College Park, Delaney Park, or downtown, and there is less traffic heading east in morning and west in afternoon. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a day and a half last week looking around town and found that I indeed liked Baldwin Park, and not so much liked Avalon Park. But I am a little concerned with how many are for sale in the Baldwin Park area, with several "short sales."

I also loved the Winter park town center area! I also liked Thorton Park, but think its a bit out of my price range, at least for anything that is available at this time. I went through Delany Park and College park, but didn't find any "Town center" areas. Did I just miss them?

Can anyone recommend a good realtor to talk with? I've been burned by bad realtors before, and would like to get one that someone has had a good experience or two with.

Spent a day and a half last week looking around town and found that I indeed liked Baldwin Park, and not so much liked Avalon Park. But I am a little concerned with how many are for sale in the Baldwin Park area, with several "short sales."

I also loved the Winter park town center area! I also liked Thorton Park, but think its a bit out of my price range, at least for anything that is available at this time. I went through Delany Park and College park, but didn't find any "Town center" areas. Did I just miss them?

Can anyone recommend a good realtor to talk with? I've been burned by bad realtors before, and would like to get one that someone has had a good experience or two with.

College Park has a great little "town center" area along Edgewater Drive. I believe they recently completed a mid-rise condo building right along there as well. I can't remember the name, though.

I don't have any realtor recommendations. Delaney park is just south of downtown and doesn't really have a 'center', it's mostly residential. If thornton park is out of your range, Winter Park might be a bit spendy too. But there are some really nice areas tucked in between winter park and downtown orlando - ie Colonial Town, Audubon Park, Lake Formosa, Lake Ivanhoe...

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to drop a note saying that I did end up buying a home in Baldwin Park. It was a foreclosure, and we ended up getting quite a nice deal on it. steve_o assisted me to learn more about the area, and acted as my realtor. He did a great job, and I would recommend him to anyone looking for someone.

congrats! i was actually in the area this past weekend, great weather and all i can think of is truman show when you are out by the lake...

ate at the mexican place there...def a nice area!

mind telling us what size place you got for what price range? just curious cuz there is such varied housing choices in that area

I may end up moving down there too for work and have a few housing related questions.

I definately am interested in downtown living and from what it seems Orlando has had a downtown condo boom going on. What I am interested in knowing is: Are you in the middle of a bust right now? Many of the condos still seem a bit pricy as far as list price, but sales price is what really matters. are there any buildings to avoid because of legal issues? My wife and I have no kids and are 34/28 we dont want to live in a dorm, and I understand many downtown buildings are full of parties. any suggestions for buildings that would appeal to young professional couple? that would be tolerent of social gatherings, but not of raging all nighters?

based on development trends what part of downtown is evolving the most? or a better way to put this is 10 years from now where is the heart of the city most likely to be?

do most downtown buildings just offer 1 parking space, or can you usually buy a 2nd?

anything else I should know?

as far as the heart of the City goes, Orlando's downtown is relatively compact and is surrounded by many single family neighborhoods, many of which have historic designation. The area around Central & Summerlin is hoppin right now and gelling into a nice urban neighborhood. This area is known as Thornton Park and it's on the east edge of the downtown. Lots of restaurants, shops, retail and now a Publix grocery store. I think you'll be very happy. You may also be able to find single family homes in the area as well for about the same price as the condos. They're not all historic/old houses, there's been quite a bit of infill housing in these neighborhoods in the past decade or so.

• 3 years later...

I have a coworker wanting to relocate from Tampa to Orlando. Any help or recommendations will be appreciated, thanks.

She is older, and prefers to live in a townhouse setting. She wants to regularly visit her grandson in Melbourne, and her job will be in downtown. So any locations in between will be ideal (access to 417). She is currently paying $800/month in tampa. Obviously the area should be safe. She heard good things about Lake Mary, but I told her that is too far from Melbourne. Im thinking maybe Keene Pointe community?

Archived