Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Places that put you in the Christmas Spirit 2008

2 posts in this topic

Christmas is coming! A little over 6 weeks away.

Some cities really glow at Christmas. More than just from a religious point of view, these are places where there is magic and wonder in the air. New York probably tops that list, with store windows and Rockefeller Plaza. But what other cities - or non-cities - do Christmas well? We have talked about this previous years, lets see what we can come up with this year.

I was very surprised at how good the Orlando area did Christmas. It was not something one would experience just walking about outside, but because they are in such a tourist area, they tend to over the top when it comes to decorating. Some may be a bit, well, tacky, but there is something to thrill everyone there. I was also surprised at lights along San Antonio's River Walk. I actually experienced this just after Christmas, but there was a kind of unusual magic that I never expected in a warm climate.

Walking down a busy street downtown with the wreaths lightly dusted with snow, and a giant decorated pine tree in the city park put me in a good Christmas mood.