It's Dangerous to use Internet Explorer

monsoon

Do still use Internet Explorer for most of your browsing?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do still use Internet Explorer for most of your browsing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Well yes, but I am planning to switch to something else.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you don't have an option for sort of. LOL! There is a browser called MyIE2 that I use most of the time, though I'm spending more and more time using Firefox on both the Mac and the PC. MyIE2 runs on the IE engine.

NEVER!!!!! I only use Netscape/Mozilla, sometimes Firefox and Konqueror. Safari uses KHTML for the rendering, so the former is actually a cousin of Konqueror. From what I read Apple actually gives back to the open-source community bug fixes. I don't use IE, except here at work, but only to view some XML documents and to ensure that what I develop can be viewed properly in all major browsers. I have the hardest time with making IE display things the way I want them, even though I use vanila HTML. At home, I only run Linux, and I do not have Codeweaver's office plug-ins, so no IE there.

Guess you know how I voted :)

Very good post, I'm looking for an alternative to IE,

seems like all this Microsoft stuff makes me feel like that inital Apple computer commercial, where the "mindless drones" lets creppy green guy control them through the Megascreen until one dude volleys a hammer up there! DOWN WITH EMPEROR BILL!

I used another Microsoft browser a couple years ago called MSN Explorer. Has anyone else ever used this? I'm surprised it seemingly never caught on.

You know I actually used that for ahwile. Its their portal type thing that comes with their ISP. It has IE has its backbone though. So its just a stylized version with extra stuff.

Since that article the other day, I switched to Mozilla Firefox. Its pretty decent. Its almost exactly the same as IE. My only problem with it is that its start up isn't as fast as IE, but I like that it loads links ahead of time.

I've downloaded Firefox - never even heard of it until recently. I've used the settings in it to smooth scroll and not to remember my password, now I'm all set! :)

The biggest problem I had with Netscape 7 was that it didn't scroll with my middle mouse button when clicking it - Firefox does, plus Netscape 7 doesn't smooth scroll.

The only major difference between Firefox and IE that I can see is the basic graphics of the navigation buttons and the fact that I can't have the "read mail" button on there. Its different to be sure, but not so much that you can't get used to it. I like that it has a Google search box in the top by the address bar. I didnt think I'd like it at first, but I was wrong- its great!

here is a link to Mozilla Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I used their Thunderbird mail on my PC (before I switched over to using my Mac). I preffered it over Outlook.

They are working towards better integration of their browser, mail, and calendar products. The calendar is still a little flaky I think.

Cotuit, how do you like Thunderbird? I understand that you prefer it to Outlook, but how would you rate it overall? I am still using the old Netscape (4.79) email client and so far I am very happy with it, although I am contemplating a change to Mozilla's email client. I am a minimalist when it comes to emails, but I would like to give Thunderbird a try, some time. Apple has been working with the open source community in ways that I am really surprised. Their KHTML changes (from the whole Safari experience) will eventually make it to the KDE and Konqueror, but I am not sure what these changes will do to make me use the latter instead of Mozilla. Firefox seems to have a few issues working with SOME pages properly, but I am sure it will be fixed in the nearest future. Firefox will naturally be the next generation of Mozilla-based browsers, but I am afraid they still have to work on it.

For those who follow the Open Source movement, you might have heard of the collaboration between GNOME and Mozilla developers to create a unified platform that could help users escape from Micro$oft's new generation of operating systems, codenamed Longhorn. The latter will definitely lock the users to the way Micro$oft does things and there will be no way back, or out, without losing significant amounts of data and time. Personally, I only use Linux at home, although I have installed Win98 on my development machine, strictly for experimentation and for my wife... just in case she needs to use any Windoze-based programs; still, we use Linux, Mozilla and Open Office for most of our computing needs. I am anxious to see what the reply of the KDE community will be. Since I prefer KDE to GNOME (I am not religious about it, however), I can't wait for KDE's answer to Micro$oft. Better, I can't wait to see a unified GNOME-KDE-Mozilla effort. Novell and IBM are doing a lot for Open Source, but it will take a MAJOR shift in the way these companies work. If Sun becomes more flexible and more aggressive with Java, then .NET will find some stiff competition before it makes in-roads to the major corporations. IBM and Sun should be working together in creating a Java environment that could rival .NET in ways that Micro$oft will never be able to compete. However, in the browser war, Mozilla is probably the only hope we have. If AOL played the Netscape card right, they could have hurt Micro$oft's dominance big time. As is, it will take a lot more work to dethrone IE, even with all its security issues disturbing the computing world.

I have never had a good experience with Linux. I've tried installing it several times, becuase I'm always hearing how wonderful it is... but it always seems to take about 10 mins to boot up (I'm used to 30 sec on my new machine and like 1 or 2 mins on my old one), and then I could never figure out exactly how anything worked nothing seemed like it was in the logical place to me. The only way to get the average user to leave Windows is to make another system that has the same basic layout... people don't want to have to learn how to use the computer all over again. It would also need to be able to run any product that is designed for Windowns. It is unfortunate that Microsoft is so dominant...

If you want to play with Linux without installing it you can try Knoppix (the link for their site is below). Just download the ISO image and burn it to a CD, put it in your computer, restart and it will restart into Linux (assuming your computer is set to boot to CD before it is your hard drive). It's a very user-friendly version of Linux and doesn't install anything on your computer. When you want to return to Windows just shut Linux down, take the CD out and restart!

http://www.knoppix.com/

Archived