skyscrapers of the future

turvaldi

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Building supertalls is always more about ego than praticality. With the credit crunch I don't think we are going to be seeing anything in the proposal stage going up for a while at least not in America. When lending does start to free up again I agree with what is being said here.....in North America we will see good architecture rather than dizzying heights. As for cities such as Dubai and Shanghai there may still be the desire to give those skylines very tall and iconic towers that will come to define these cities just as 20th modern architecture defined New York and Chicago.

• 1 month later...
I think skyscrapers in America will be focusing less and less on height and more on quality of architecture. We are already seeing this change now. We will see very beautiful towers in the 350 to 600 foot range. In asia and esp. in the middle east we will continue to see new buildings jockeying for the world's tallest. Perhaps the climax of that battle will be a 3/4 mile high structure. I think as energy costs continue to rise we will see a migration back into urban cores and into clusters of density along arterial thoroughfares in and out of urban centers. So I will say that 75-120 foot residential mid rises surrounded by row houses or townhouse will pop up in inner-ring suburbs while taller mix use structures will pop up in urban cores. As the world becomes more and more connected and working from home becomes more prevalent, we will see less of a need for tall corporate offices. Existing corporate offices will most likely be converted to Class A office space least out to small firms or made into mix use developments and high end urban lofts.

That what I can think of right off hand.

Archived