major breakthrough in curing AIDS?

cityboi

Doctors say marrow transplant may have cured HIV/AIDS in one man. Something happened. A man who was HIV positive all of a sudden doesnt have it anymore after the treatment. This was apparently done without any kind of medicine.

"An American man who suffered from AIDS appears to have been cured of the disease 20 months after receiving a targeted bone marrow transplant normally used to fight leukemia, his doctors said"

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/11/07/did...atient-of-aids/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

That would be great if it actually works! I would imagine that this will now undergo extensive study and lab testing to identify exactly what happened as well as how. If it does turn out to cure HIV, it will undeniably be the largest breakthrough in medicine in decades.

If it turns out to be true, this would be the story of the century. A triumph of enormous importance.

However, I remain unconvinced. Unfortunately this virus has shown repeatedly that it can evade attacks on it. And we know it can hide undectected for ages, and resurface unexpectedly.

No one wants this to be true more than me, but I'm pretty pessimistic.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but this was done a decade ago in France, albeit with less understanding of the mechanism. There are far to many donor limitations, it is simply not practical, or so it was explained to me by an immunologist that knew the details of the work done in France.

Archived