Peace Center Remodel

adrockc2

Is this for real??

I've never actually considered the Peace Center to be in need of a renovation. I guess it's good, though, if they're staying on top of their upkeep...

I like the modern flair, I think. It's hard to get a good understanding from the pictures, but it looks fairly good from what I can tell...

My biggest knock on the Peace Center has been it's small lobby. It is very difficult to move around during intermissions etc... If I'm looking at the pictures right, then this remodel will adress that concern and really improve the overall experience for anyone attending an event there. The auditorium itself is awesome!

I came across some photos of a possible remodel of the Peace Center. I haven't found out much else except that it is being planned. I wish my camera phone took higher quality pictures because these do not do the renderings justice but here you go anyway.

3030567771_cf12b16d1e_o.jpg

3030567639_25b1d98d15_o.jpg

Very interesting. Cool find.

Did you find these at an architects office?

Would love to see more of this plan.

I'm torn about this potential remodel design. I understand the desire for change, especially regarding the smallish lobby, but am hoping it will not completely eliminate or detract from the beautiful fountain area between the theatres. I for one am a huge fan of the growing trees on the grounds. I'd like to see more details about this.

From what I can tell in those two renderings, it reminds me of Downtown Disney West Side... :blink: I'm not so sure I would like to see this implemented. :stop:

Hello, I'm a long time lurker on the site, but it's funny that the Peace Center remodel is what prompted me to respond. As someone who has performed in the Peace Center and attended many performances there, I think this remodel is needed and appropriate to the original design of the building. The lobby is entirely too cramped, and this glass addition will open it up considerably. I'm a fan of the glass, because it will do relatively little to change the appearance of the building -- the bones of the old building will still be quite present. I think the Peace Center is a beautiful building and a great asset to the city, but I have to be honest that it's a little "heavy" to look at... especially when viewed from the side (like when looking at it from Riverplace). All you see is this giant wall of red brick towering over everything else. I don't think this design will detract from the waterfall fountain, or from the sidewalk space either. I think this addition is very clean and actually pretty modest. I give it two thumbs up! ^_^

Welcome Fairfreak. :)

If this Peace Center update comes to fruition, my number one hope would be they would change the seating (actually the fabric of seating). The interior architecture is beautiful and timeless, but the mauve color fabric on the seats.....looks very 1980's. Would like to see them change this to a timeless color to better match the timeless architecture.

I've been thinking about this one since this was first posted. I've decided that the additional lobby space will ultimately be a good thing for the Peace Center. It can get a little cramped right before and after a show. I wonder, though, will they change the side of the building on Main St? I'm not sure what could be done there, but that combined with the Gvill News building create a dead zone for about a block (which ironically is what I've always thought of as the separation between "Downtown" and the West End).

• 6 months later...

This isn't exactly related to the proposed Peace Center remodel; hoewver, it is noteworthy that the fountain in front of the Peace Center has now been opened up to the corner of Main and Broad. Shrubs have been removed and a concrete sidewalk has been put in place connecting the fountain with the corner of Main & Broad. Also, a couple of benches have been put in place on the sides of this new sidewalk. Unfortunately, instead of using real brick pavers to match the surrounding sidewalks, it looks to me as though the concrete was only stamped and painted to look like brick. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of photos:

11528476-7a206eae62da64247b154077e0919a9e.4a2d0d13-full.jpg

Peace Center opened up to South Main...

11528305-0ef04176fc573cb61063e8fdff8197b9.4a2d0d97-full.jpg

which isn't real brick?

Edited by RestedTraveler

This isn't exactly related to the proposed Peace Center remodel; hoewver, it is noteworthy that the fountain in front of the Peace Center has now been opened up to the corner of Main and Broad. Shrubs have been removed and a concrete sidewalk has been put in place connecting the fountain with the corner of Main & Broad. Also, a couple of benches have been put in place on the sides of this new sidewalk. Unfortunately, instead of using real brick pavers to match the surrounding sidewalks, it looks to me as though the concrete was only stamped and painted to look like brick. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of photos:

11528476-7a206eae62da64247b154077e0919a9e.4a2d0d13-full.jpg

Peace Center opened up to South Main...

11528305-0ef04176fc573cb61063e8fdff8197b9.4a2d0d97-full.jpg

which isn't real brick?

:shades: Wow, that looks really nice from your first picture! That fountain was definitely a hidden feature before. I'll have to save judgement on the brick...

I think the word just hit me to describe that corner before: passive. Now it seems more interactive and interesting for the pedestrians. Good work, Greenville! :camera: This is very timely for the upgrades on the other side of Broad Street for the new Courtyard/Office building.

I think the word just hit me to describe that corner before: passive. Now it seems more interactive and interesting for the pedestrians. Good work, Greenville! :camera: This is very timely for the upgrades on the other side of Broad Street for the new Courtyard/Office building.

Interactive is a great description. Funny thing about this corner......I walked through the new corner this weekend and into the fountain area without realizing it was new. We were cutting over to Lazy Goat through Peace Center. Once through the new opening, my partner and I had a lengthy discussion about "was that new". :lol: We then remembered the orange/white barricades that had been up for several weeks and realized it was indeed new. Good move on Greenville's part.

Yes, it's definitely a great move to open that corner up, especially considering the development across Broad next to City Hall. I love what they've done. I'm not sure what will be in the flower box around the fountain, but some beautiful flowers couldn't hurt. I just wish they had used real brick to frame the new sidewalk...but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. I'm not sure ... was it the City of Greenville or the Peace Center that opened this up? Whomever did it, it's a great change! :good::good:

From what I understand this is a project that the Peace Center requested of the city. I work for the city at Falls Park and also maintain the Peace Center grounds, so my partner and I were the ones removing the bushes that surrounded the fountian. The city Tree crew removed 2 or 3 trees and some larger bushes, and the concrete crew installed the new pathway.

As for the empty spot you referred to we still aren't sure what is going to be installed there, but it will be something small and low growing.

Thanks for the details, Travo!

As for the empty spot you referred to we still aren't sure what is going to be installed there, but it will be something small and low growing.

Hopefully something colorful, too! I could see Pansies or Petunias or even Marigolds there...something additional to draw the eye into the fountain.

From what I understand this is a project that the Peace Center requested of the city. I work for the city at Falls Park and also maintain the Peace Center grounds, so my partner and I were the ones removing the bushes that surrounded the fountian. The city Tree crew removed 2 or 3 trees and some larger bushes, and the concrete crew installed the new pathway.

Love the new look and how you can see that water feature much better from the street! The trees that were removed -- any idea what happened to them? Just curious if they were able to replant them somewhere else on the property or in Falls Park.

:lol: If they were of the low variety, yes. Or, they might would take them anyway. I'm sure their chainsaws may be itching for some use...

:lol: I get it. And I think we'll be hearing BI-LO Center/tree chopping jokes for a long time!

But I gotta ask...is there a double standard here? BI-LO Center cuts down trees = big outcry. Peace Center (City) cuts down trees = not a peep? But maybe the Peace Center trees were moved elsewhere and it's a totally different thing; I really was curious to hear what happened to them.

But I gotta ask...is there a double standard here? BI-LO Center cuts down trees = big outcry. Peace Center (City) cuts down trees = not a peep? But maybe the Peace Center trees were moved elsewhere and it's a totally different thing; I really was curious to hear what happened to them.

I can see what you're getting at, but I think there is somewhat of a difference, IMO. Bilo Center's trees left us with a view of asphalt. It gets hot, radiates heat, contributes to urban heat effect stuff, etc. You get the idea. Meanwhile, the Peace Center's removal has left us with a small attractive hardscape area, a beautiful fountain that was previously hidden, and a space that will contribute to the pedestrian environment. That's the way I see, anyway.

I can see what you're getting at, but I think there is somewhat of a difference, IMO. Bilo Center's trees left us with a view of asphalt. It gets hot, radiates heat, contributes to urban heat effect stuff, etc. You get the idea. Meanwhile, the Peace Center's removal has left us with a small attractive hardscape area, a beautiful fountain that was previously hidden, and a space that will contribute to the pedestrian environment. That's the way I see, anyway.

I agree. Cutting down a few trees to create a more pedestrian-friendly plaza (i.e., a net benefit) is very different from cutting down some trees for a weekend concert "so people can see the stage." I don't think anyone here is against cutting down trees per se, but when they are cut down due to reckless and/or silly reasons, then many people will have a problem with it (myself included).