Peace Center Remodel

adrockc2

I agree. Cutting down a few trees to create a more pedestrian-friendly plaza (i.e., a net benefit) is very different from cutting down some trees for a weekend concert "so people can see the stage." I don't think anyone here is against cutting down trees per se, but when they are cut down due to reckless and/or silly reasons, then many people will have a problem with it (myself included).

well said. :)

I agree. Cutting down a few trees to create a more pedestrian-friendly plaza (i.e., a net benefit) is very different from cutting down some trees for a weekend concert "so people can see the stage." I don't think anyone here is against cutting down trees per se, but when they are cut down due to reckless and/or silly reasons, then many people will have a problem with it (myself included).

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As far as I know (not being on the tree crew) the trees were cut up and hauled off. I don't know that for a fact but given that those trees are fairly old and mature with a deep root system it would have cost the tax payers an arm and leg to remove them intact. I know the city is Really Really big on its trees and wouldn't have taken those 3 out unless it was in the best interest of the city. I also think this new entrance looks great. Now if we could just do something with the Greenville News building across the street the flow into the West End from Main would be nearly perfect.

As far as I know (not being on the tree crew) the trees were cut up and hauled off. I don't know that for a fact but given that those trees are fairly old and mature with a deep root system it would have cost the tax payers an arm and leg to remove them intact. I know the city is Really Really big on its trees and wouldn't have taken those 3 out unless it was in the best interest of the city. I also think this new entrance looks great. Now if we could just do something with the Greenville News building across the street the flow into the West End from Main would be nearly perfect.

With the future of print newspapers in doubt, wouldn't it be great for The Greenville News to downsize enough to justify moving out of their current building? That site is PERFECT for redevelopment.

Edited by Greenville

With the future of print newspapers in doubt, wouldn't it be great for The Greenville News to downsize enough to justify moving out of their current building? That site is PERFECT for redevelopment.

The Greenville News building bothers me less and less. It has one plaza and statue that looks great, and is about to add another piece of public art, thanks to the AIA conference being held here. I think it'd be great to keep the News building that sits at the corner of Main and Broad, but demolish the additions and redevelop everything else, including the parking lots that front both Main (behind masonry wall), Broad Street, and Falls Street. Also it'd be nice to get rid of the parking garage entrance (and/or exit?) that uses Main Street.

Just like I'd hate to see the Landmark building demolished or drastically altered on the exterior, I think the Greenville News building is a unique and representative specimen of our past.

NOTE: my position on this has indeed changed over the years as my appreciation and understanding of architecture has expanded. There is no need to adjust your monitor or glasses, this is GvilleSC posting.

The Greenville News building bothers me less and less. It has one plaza and statue that looks great, and is about to add another piece of public art, thanks to the AIA conference being held here. I think it'd be great to keep the News building that sits at the corner of Main and Broad, but demolish the additions and redevelop everything else, including the parking lots that front both Main (behind masonry wall), Broad Street, and Falls Street. Also it'd be nice to get rid of the parking garage entrance (and/or exit?) that uses Main Street.

Just like I'd hate to see the Landmark building demolished or drastically altered on the exterior, I think the Greenville News building is a unique and representative specimen of our past.

NOTE: my position on this has indeed changed over the years as my appreciation and understanding of architecture has expanded. There is no need to adjust your monitor or glasses, this is GvilleSC posting.

Doubt the Greenville News is going anywhere since the are printing other newspapers there now such as Asheville.

• 6 months later...

^ Cool. :thumbsup: I like the idea that the entire facade will become glass. Very nice. Although I think the interior is overall very beautiful, the fabric on the seats (that rose color) is very 80's / 90's. Any idea if any interior improvements are included?

The majority of the money will be spent on the interior. According to the Journal article that is.

It's great to have money being reinvested into the Peace Center. The surrounding area has seen such a resurgence in the past 4 years, and it's nice to see one of the original building blocks for redevelopment not being left behind. This new work should only contribute to further development and investment along the Reedy and along Broad...

• 8 months later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but today I found something quite interesting. I was linked to the Garvin Design Group website to see renderings of the Mast General Store in Columbia. Well, after looking around the site for a while, I came across some detailed (new?) renderings for the Peace Center additions. The renderings of the new additions look great; very upscale and modern. Check it out.

Garvin Design Group

(at the homepage, click "Portfolio", then "Additional" at the top, then "Peace Center" on the left)

Yes indeed, this will be a grand upgrade to the 20-year-old facilities, if accurately portrayed by the renderings. :)

It appears the fountain in front will be replaced by a much more pedestrian-friendly plaza, which will include two grassy areas bordered by curving, low profile water fountains similar in design to the upper plaza at Falls Park on the Reedy. The current tree-covered oasis between the two main indoor venues will apparently be replaced by a more pedestrian-friendly "staircase" and new water features.

Edited by Skyliner

TD Bank has committed to give the Peace Center $1.5 Million over the next ten years. The gift will help build a new amphitheatre (officially called, 'TD Pavilion at the Peace Center') and redevelop the surrounding land along the river. The new amphitheatre, which is still being designed, is expected to be completed by 2012.

Source: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/36383-td-bank-gives-1-5-million-to-peace-center?rss=0

TD Bank has committed to give the Peace Center $1.5 Million over the next ten years. The gift will help build a new amphitheatre (officially called, 'TD Pavilion at the Peace Center') and redevelop the surrounding land along the river. The new amphitheatre, which is still being designed, is expected to be completed by 2012.

Source: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/36383-td-bank-gives-1-5-million-to-peace-center?rss=0

:thumbsup: I love this! Not only is it great to see the river front being invested in/enhanced, it's nice to see TD Bank stepping in to invest in the community.

• 1 month later...

$11.1 million of the $21.5 million needed has been raised so far which is enough to let the project move forward with construction slated to begin in Spring 2011 according to an article this morning in the G-News. No shows will take place at the Peace Center next summer due to the construction.

Edited by citylife