Peace Center Remodel

adrockc2

On 7/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, vicupstate said:

This has been noticeably quiet...Peace must be thinking long & hard regarding the next maneuver with DRB & not in a hurry after the failure. I hope a design can happen to gain approval.  It may take a while...

• 1 month later...

I was at The Peace Center recently and really like the exterior....always have.  But, I have a question about the materials inside.  The inside of the performance hall has walls made of a rough concrete looking material.  I have not seen this in a lot of performing art venues, are they acoustic blocks intended to help sound?  I am more familiar with the Blumenthal Center which has a much different use of interior materials, just have not seen a lot of block material and interested to know why this was selected.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:41 PM, CLT_sc said:

I was at The Peace Center recently and really like the exterior....always have.  But, I have a question about the materials inside.  The inside of the performance hall has walls made of a rough concrete looking material.  I have not seen this in a lot of performing art venues, are they acoustic blocks intended to help sound?  I am more familiar with the Blumenthal Center which has a much different use of interior materials, just have not seen a lot of block material and interested to know why this was selected.

I don't know, but as I recall, it was pretty well regarded acoustically when it was built 30-odd years ago. Haven't attended anything there in over 20 years, but I do remember wondering about those rough surfaces.

9 hours ago, Skyliner said:

Yes, they were intended to provide outstanding acoustics (and they do), but during construction, some of the block cell columns failed to receive the proper amount of grout filler and this apparently negatively affected the acoustic rating.

The acoustics are superb...Curious with your  source for this as  original construction was 30M+ and major renovations for 20M+ were made in 2010. Strange this was not addressed/corrected  during that renovation. Maybe it was not worth the expense...

Edited by cabelagent

11 hours ago, cabelagent said:

The acoustics are superb...Curious with your  source for this as  original construction was 30M+ and major renovations for 20M+ were made in 2010. Strange this was not addressed/corrected  during that renovation. Maybe it was not worth the expense...

My information may not be completely accurate, considering this source:
"The walls of the room are split-face block, sealed with a clear sealer. Because the sealer did not entirely fill the block’s pores the room is not as reverberant as originally expected; however, given the room’s range of use this has not been a problem."
"The Peace Center illustrates the idea that smaller cities deserve excellent arts facilities, and that such facilities can be built on a modest budget. The Center has been an important part of revitalizing Greenville’s downtown as well as supporting local arts groups."

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

From what I have been told, it is not the original version of Oklahoma at all. 

Right. This version was revived in 2019 for a limited Broadway run before going to tour and won the Tony for Best Revival that year among many other nominations.  Greenville is the second stop on the schedule (Minneapolis was the first)

I have no interest in the musical so I won't be seeing it, but I wonder where the mismatch between national critics and local viewers is.  Probably has to do with apparently how different it is.. sometimes you get these old musicals that people always want to see the same with no reimagining. 

Edited by NewlyUpstate

• 9 months later...

https://www.wyff4.com/article/greenville-peace-center-amp-project-announcement/41117040

Thoughts? Anyone know what the AMP project is?

Sounds like they are planning a renovation of the sound system, not sure why that would qualify as the "Peace Center's biggest announcement in decades." unless the speakers are literally just huge

Edit: Realizing that the Amp project is actually just the amphitheater project and I misread the article.  Still curious what would qualify as the biggest announcement in decades.. perhaps involves the Wyche Pavillion and the Larkins space?

Edited by NewlyUpstate

About 5 years ago there were some renderings put out that showed a whole remake of the outside of the peace center, sort of an Italianate look. I guess that died?

Here; page 6 of this thread

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2017/05/11/peace-center-greenville-sc/101560086/

Renderings of an after view of the Peace Center.

Edited by distortedlogic

46 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

About 5 years ago there were some renderings put out that showed a whole remake of the outside of the peace center, sort of an Italianate look. I guess that died?

Here; page 6 of this thread

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2017/05/11/peace-center-greenville-sc/101560086/

Renderings of an after view of the Peace Center.

I am glad that remake died. The last major renovation was completed in 2012, and it looks absolutely beautiful. 

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Whatever is going on with the Peace Center apparently involved the buildings behind the Gunter theater that face Main. Those buildings plus the Wyche Pavilion and old mill building are going up for Abandoned site tax credit at council's meeting on Monday.     

I was wondering about that too when making my post. Didn't know who owned those buildings  Tons of potential between those buildings and Larkins. This is prime real estate downtown for something interesting.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

This was a conceptual sketch shared over a year ago, but I also remember seeing a sketch from the Main Street side and always hoped it would eventually develop as envisioned.  The other drawing focused more on the building(s) directly behind the Gunter Theater along Main Street.  It was an attractive design with an angled or semi-arching roof, with four or five floors above ground.  (Edit: I found a copy of the conceptual sketch mentioned above.)

larkins_30928076_ver1.0.jpg

Screenshot_20220911-230854-01.jpeg

Edited by Skyliner
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1