Mixed Use Development

Samantha7V

Hi all,

I'm working on an undergraduate research thesis focusing on New Urbanism, more specifically how it's considered with urban infill projects. I need to find a mixed use development to compare a recently proposed project to. The one that I need to compare it to is 25 acres with a cost of ~$750M. Are there any already built communities similar to these within the Grand Rapids area? I have been searching and haven't found anything large enough to work or one that's already built. I have already spoken with a professional who mentioned The Wealthy Jefferson Development. Any others? Thanks for the help!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all,

I'm working on an undergraduate research thesis focusing on New Urbanism, more specifically how it's considered with urban infill projects. I need to find a mixed use development to compare a recently proposed project to. The one that I need to compare it to is 25 acres with a cost of ~$750M. Are there any already built communities similar to these within the Grand Rapids area? I have been searching and haven't found anything large enough to work or one that's already built. I have already spoken with a professional who mentioned The Wealthy Jefferson Development. Any others? Thanks for the help!

Hi all,

I would look at the Stapleton Airport redevelopment in Denver. It is a very interesting project. I don't know if it could quite be considered urban infill, as it is on what you might consider the outskirts of the city, but Denver has sprawled so fast that the urban area has grown dramatically. Either way, this is an enormous mixed-use project, and it is on the site of a decommissioned airport.

Anyway, Stapleton is a huge development, and eventually will house around 25,000-30,000 people, and it has a great mix of residential, retail, commercial, and open space, all very close to downtown Denver.

I know this is nowhere near GR, but it is probably one of the best projects you can look at in terms of similar scale.

Archived