Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 7/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, Nick2 said:

If you haven't visited the uwharries then you absolutely need to. Lake tillery and badin lake go through them. It's pretty cool being on the lake with the pine covered mountains rising on either side of the lakes.

And best of all, Lake Tillery and Badin Lake won't give you cancer!  My parents live near the base of one of those Uwharrie  mountains, in Asheboro.  One of the streets in their neighborhood that I drive down to get to their house has the most beautiful view.  And I have fond memories of Badin Lake.  The childhood best friend's family had a weekend home there and would take me on visits.  I loved it.  Once we went and camped on an island in the lake.  Very peaceful setting.

Edited by JacksonH

19 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

And best of all, Lake Tillery and Badin Lake won't give you cancer!  My parents live near the base of one of those Uwharrie  mountains, in Asheboro.  One of the streets in their neighborhood that I drive down to get to their house has the most beautiful view.  And I have fond memories of Badin Lake.  The childhood best friend's family had a weekend home there and would take me on visits.  I loved it.  Once we went and camped on an island in the lake.  Very peaceful setting.

Really? What mountain do they live near? I live at the base of Caraway Mountain in Sophia, right outside Asheboro. This is beautiful country we have out here. I've also been to Lake Tillery before when I was younger during the summer of 2001, I think.  Stayed at a lake house right near Lilly's bridge. The lake is beautiful and the view of Morrow Mountain is great. Good times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Really? What mountain do they live near? I live at the base of Caraway Mountain in Sophia, right outside Asheboro. This is beautiful country we have out here. I've also been to Lake Tillery before when I was younger during the summer of 2001, I think.  Stayed at a lake house right near Lilly's bridge. The lake is beautiful and the view of Morrow Mountain is great. Good times.

I used to go on retreats near Caraway when I was a kid.  :)  Mt. Shepherd is not too far from there.  My parents live on the edge of Dave's Mountain.  In Asheboro, they call it "the" mountain.  The top of Dave's Mountain is the highest point in Asheboro.

Interesting article about the area:  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/science-technology/article9103466.html

And someone got some photos:  http://thephotohiker.com/the-view-from-here/#jp-carousel-190

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I used to go on retreats near Caraway when I was a kid.  :)  Mt. Shepherd is not too far from there.  My parents live on the edge of Dave's Mountain.  In Asheboro, they call it "the" mountain.  The top of Dave's Mountain is the highest point in Asheboro.

Interesting article about the area:  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/science-technology/article9103466.html

And someone got some photos:  http://thephotohiker.com/the-view-from-here/#jp-carousel-190

Thanks for the links. Also, on the summit of Caraway Mountain, there is a rock wall (still standing) that the Native Americans built. When I was young, I used to climb Caraway Mountain with my grandpa and seen the rock wall.

I read the link w/ pics and agree it would've been nice if the city of Asheboro had created a park on Dave's Mountain. The views would be spectacular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NCMike1990 said:

Thanks for the links. Also, on the summit of Caraway Mountain, there is a rock wall (still standing) that the Native Americans built. When I was young, I used to climb Caraway Mountain with my grandpa and seen the rock wall.

I read the link w/ pics and agree it would've been nice if the city of Asheboro had created a park on Dave's Mountain. The views would be spectacular.

I was in Asheboro in June and drove up to the top of Dave's Mountain thinking about the lack of public access.  There's that fire tower there but it's immediately surrounded by houses.  People living in the houses get the view but no one else does.

I never knew there was a Native American rock wall at Caraway Mountain.  That's REALLY cool to know.  I wish I could go back in time with that knowledge.  When my brother was a kid, he and his best friend used to go hunting or arrowheads.  :)  Coming across that wall would have blown them away.  My brother lives in the Charlotte area now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I was in Asheboro in June and drove up to the top of Dave's Mountain thinking about the lack of public access.  There's that fire tower there but it's immediately surrounded by houses.  People living in the houses get the view but no one else does.

I never knew there was a Native American rock wall at Caraway Mountain.  That's REALLY cool to know.  I wish I could go back in time with that knowledge.  When my brother was a kid, he and his best friend used to go hunting or arrowheads.  :)  Coming across that wall would have blown them away.  My brother lives in the Charlotte area now.

There is a residential road that goes to the summit of Caraway Mountain. Go to the end of it and walk straight through the woods, and in about 300 ft I'd say you'll come to the wall. There are actually 2 walls and they go a pretty good distance too. I'm looking at them using google maps satellite view and you can see them clear as day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

There is a residential road that goes to the summit of Caraway Mountain. Go to the end of it and walk straight through the woods, and in about 300 ft I'd say you'll come to the wall. There are actually 2 walls and they go a pretty good distance too. I'm looking at them using google maps satellite view and you can see them clear as day.

Is that it on the right side of this image?  I'm in California so won't be getting there anytime soon.  :)  But it's cool knowing it's there.

Caraway Mountain Summit.jpg

Is that it on the right side of this image?  I'm in California so won't be getting there anytime soon.  [emoji4]  But it's cool knowing it's there.

1475883272_CarawayMountainSummit.thumb.jpg.2bc8b974f067fcf41388f26a624ae7c2.jpg&key=09dfb77b798dc2ee6243838db79e42c3ab4516531b3be208eceb46f5b336746b

Yes. If you zoom in you can see both walls. The other wall is south of the one you mention. They run parallel to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mooresville touting its Silicon Shores development at exit 31 anchored by Corvid Technologies.  https://www.mooresvilletribune.com/news/silicon-shores-could-spur-b-in-development-officials-say/article_d9d5a30a-929e-11e8-b0c5-7fe59a0f6154.html    I like a place to think BIG.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Badin Lake and the town of Badin are downstream from Morrow Mountain and worth a trip themselves. The origin of the dam, lake, town and aluminum smelter are here:

http://www.digitalnc.org/blog/badin-north-carolina-town-aluminum-built/

as well as elsewhere in the web. The town was prosperous as long as Aluminium Francaise and then Alcoa were running things and it appears more prosperous and well preserved than one might expect. The worker homes are well designed and the manager and upper employees houses are quite nice. There was a Badin Club golf and dining club until last summer when it closed.

The story of how farmers were forced out and made to move and provide their land for the dam and lake is one replayed elsewhere, much in our area of the Catawba watershed, as the wealthy and the legislature played together to bring manufacturing to the state while dispossessing the land owners. Was it proper? Was it right?

• Like 2

Tillery really is beautiful. But Charlotte people need to stay away. It's already getting too busy. ;)

They actually just recently opened up a pretty good restaurant on the water and there's also a convenience store and bar that opened very recently.

FB_IMG_1533071378879.thumb.jpg.0d591ed212d2a0fba9fe36f5f50b0a55.jpgFB_IMG_1533071381802.thumb.jpg.686203ba1415d9eb78ddb9028634871a.jpgswift-island-bridge-3-jackie-smith.jpg.472edcd8897d4048e446323ad5f7dda1.jpg

Its definitely not allowed and you should definitely not do it but it's pretty fun to climb up the Swift island bridge and jump from it.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Tillery really is beautiful. But Charlotte people need to stay away. It's already getting too busy. ;)

They actually just recently opened up a pretty good restaurant on the water and there's also a convenience store and bar that opened very recently.

FB_IMG_1533071378879.thumb.jpg.0d591ed212d2a0fba9fe36f5f50b0a55.jpgFB_IMG_1533071381802.thumb.jpg.686203ba1415d9eb78ddb9028634871a.jpgswift-island-bridge-3-jackie-smith.jpg.472edcd8897d4048e446323ad5f7dda1.jpg

Its definitely not allowed and you should definitely not do it but it's pretty fun to climb up the Swift island bridge and jump from it.

Is 'River Wild' the one? https://www.riverwildnc.com/

• Like 2

Union County, More specifically the Waxhaw, Weddington, and Indian Trail area is truly a lovely place for families. It's really reasonable price wise especially for what you're getting. Working in retail allows me to meet residents, I'd say more than 90% of those I meet enjoy it here and are glad they moved.

• Like 1

More young  singles live in the city (and I am stating the obvious) but many families want great public schools, safe communities and communities with amenities for their children and the suburbs fit that bill like this new community in Waxhaw.   Suburbs and suburban neighborhoods are NOT going away and at the same time in town living is booming.   Different stages of life.   You ought to see Trilogy in Denver in eastern Lincoln county I will take some photos next time I up  there.  Their amenities are unbelievable and that age restricted neighborhood is 55 plus.  Some 55 plus are moving intown to condos some to lifestyle communities like Trilogy or Cresswind.  One great thing about this region is the variety of housing choices and price points.  Lake living. Small town living. Intown edgy neighborhood living.  High rise living. Highly amenitized communities like Millbridge and for age 55+ Trilogy.  Young singles and those 55+ plus are the two of biggest groups moving to Charlotte.  Simultaneously. 

• Like 1

I went to see Trilogy and wondered what the market was for such a location. I am 55+. Perhaps those coming from outside the area as KJH mentions. I used Google maps to guide me and it took me to a shopping center on the other side of 16 from the development. I then used Apple maps and it showed me the correct location. Perhaps a construction sales location was on the east side of 16 in the past?

I worked at Weddington HS before the great recession and a drive through those new neighborhoods meant one had to search for a NC license plate. So many out-of-staters. In my three years at WHS one student moved from CMS and it was a living-with-mother to living-with-father situation. 

• Like 1