Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

Today Shake Shack opened its second Charlotte location in South Charlotte, In the Blakeney Shopping Center. With a rumor of a third location somewhere in Southend, Shake Shack is extremely popular in Charlotte. While their prices are a little high, Their food is filling and delicious. Article from the Charlotte Observer..

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article221528870.html

• Like 2

Couple of pics from a cold and rainy Gastonia last Tuesday night.  Looks like the Carriage Company apartments are coming along.  If Gastonia can get some people living along Main Ave I think it will heat up really quickly, lots of very nice older buildings everywhere which are all the rage right now.

DSC_4461.jpg

DSC_4463.jpg

DSC_4464.jpg

• Like 4

G'day mates this Australia based company will located its first plant in Gaston County in the town of Stanley.

From the Biz Journal subscriber article

""An Australian company will open its first U.S. production facility in an existing building in the Gaston County town of Stanley, spending $9.2 million and bringing 20 jobs to the advanced-manufacturing operation.  Sydney-based Era Polymers Pty Ltd has been doing business in the United States for 15 years and now plans a polyurethane operation in a 140,000-square-foot building at 1101 N.C. Highway 27 in Stanley.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/26/aussie-company-will-make-polymers-in-9-2m-gaston.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-11-26&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543263749&j=85197291

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nicholas said:

A few recent pics from Kannapolis.  The streetscape project is full speed ahead, and the ballpark isn't far behind.  I think this is the next suburb to really pop, especially if the proposed apartments are built downtown.

Downtown Salisbury looks really good.  I think it'll only be a matter of time before it heats up as well.  I wonder what the feasibility of a commuter rail to uptown would be.

I don't think it's feasible on it's own. Salisbury is a little far out and the area isn't experiencing as much growth as other areas in the metro. Also, the surrounding area is almost all rural.

Maybe 20-30 years down the road or sooner if the growth shifts to be much more aggressive.

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I don't think it's feasible on it's own. Salisbury is a little far out and the area isn't experiencing as much growth as other areas in the metro. Also, the surrounding area is almost all rural.

Maybe 20-30 years down the road or sooner if the growth shifts to be much more aggressive.

I think the I-85 bottleneck has somewhat contributed to its lack of growth.  I definitely don't disagree that it's a little ways away from Charlotte, but I think it's inevitable that growth will continue in that direction once 85 is widened, especially if a commuter rail is ever worked out.

• Like 2

What I wonder is at what point a small town around the metro of a big city will stop being called a "suburb."

I get that people use "suburb" to mean an area from which people commute to a city. And even that, once an area is deemed worthy of a commuter community - small town or not - the subdivision/strip mall development shifts into full gear, which then can indeed be called "suburban" style development.

But Matthews, Gastonia, Davidson, Mooresville, Kannapolis, Salisbury, you name it, they're all quaint towns with an urban fabric. So this leads to the question: How will we ever build "commuter communities" without building the suburban tripe, and how can we give an economic boost to any of these areas without a city's metro "gobbling it up" with strip malls, subdivisions, and choked rural roads not optimized for much of anything?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NC Research Center in Kannapolis has an addition coming next year.  Hopefully this could be a catalyst for additional development including manufacturing in the area.

https://www.independenttribune.com/news/n-c-food-innovation-lab-expected-to-open-in-july/article_5738effc-f8d7-11e8-893d-9b02b6fa12f5.html

• Like 4

Harrisburg seems to be one of the only Charlotte-region towns that doesn't have a conventional "downtown", meaning it was a very rural, agricultural-centric township. Very cool this is happening, their Town center area has lots of potential! I hope commuter rail happens one day along this rail line.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:12 PM, nicholas said:

• Like 3