Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

The old Burlington textile mill south of downtown Mooresville continues to be transformed. Now 2 restaurants Alinos Pizzeria and Barcelona Burger bar, office space on the 2nd floor, and the original tenants Antique mall and Merino's Furniture store. They have done a lot of landscaping improvements and new paved parking lots (were gravel) Still lots of buildings and space to work with. 

DSCN3591.JPG

DSCN3592.JPG

DSCN3593.JPG

DSCN3595.JPG

• Like 4

Salisbury: aftet thr buzz and subsequent failure of Google Fiber, this is one of the most interesting things to happen in our region.

"Fibrant" is a fiber network set up by the town of Salisbury, capable of up to 100GB speeds (making it the fastest in the country). The company is not meeting their projections (town council says because they chose to go completely retail in their marketing rather than targeting schools and businesses), so the town is voting on how to address the shortfall.

This is huge in my mind. Salisbury already had one of the most coherent town cultures anf downtown street/building networks, this could end up being a great investment once they get the kinks worked out.

What so y'all think? 

• Like 1

Seems to new 1 million sq ft Amazon warehouse in Kannapolis will be for bulk items like kayaks, patio furniture and other large items. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article167335102.html   This should not effect the Concord Amazon sortation facility or the other warehouse on Old Dowd Rd in Charlotte set up for Prime Air primarily. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Seems to new 1 million sq ft Amazon warehouse in Kannapolis will be for bulk items like kayaks, patio furniture and other large items. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article167335102.html   This should not effect the Concord Amazon sortation facility or the other warehouse on Old Dowd Rd in Charlotte set up for Prime Air primarily. 

Yes, I'm the treehugger that keeps posting below the articles on this warehouse about its location. Of all places....beside the carefully maintained Coddle Creek Reservoir! ???  Concord has its "International Park" on I-85. It has a booming warehouse district beside the airport, and it has empty spaces where mills used to be, but no, it allows or encourages a million square foot warehouse, along with the inevitable parking lot, to be built next to the very scenic and purposeful reservoir. I just don't understand these small towns. Maybe I do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The article you linked to actually explicitly says this new warehouse will have no effect on the Concord or Charlotte facilities.

3 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

Yes, I'm the treehugger that keeps posting below the articles on this warehouse about its location. Of all places....beside the carefully maintained Coddle Creek Reservoir! ???  Concord has its "International Park" on I-85. It has a booming warehouse district beside the airport, and it has empty spaces where mills used to be, but no, it allows or encourages a million square foot warehouse, along with the inevitable parking lot, to be built next to the very scenic and purposeful reservoir. I just don't understand these small towns. Maybe I do. 

You make some really good points here. This almost seems like sprawl just for the sake of sprawl. I wonder if there was a reason Amazon preferred a separate setting?

• Like 1

They're almost assured of tax incentives where ever they choose. Not only are they getting tax incentives, but we're going to have to foot the bill for widening 73 and tributary roads. The only thing I can think of is some of the execs wanted to look out on the pristine (and I do mean pristine) lake as if it were their own private lake.

Runnoff from parking lots and roads is the number one cause of pollution in our lakes and streams. This project, in another world, would be challenged by The EPA, or DNR. This lake is so clean that no boats, including canoes, are allowed. No swimming, nothing. 

Edited by Windsurfer
  • Like 3

Older warehouses don't have the ceiling height needed for modern efficient distribution. Older warehouses have 20-24 foot ceiling heights vs 30-36 feet in the new buildings. Plus where you would you put a 1 million sq ft building within the city limits of Charlotte? Not many choices. Like it or not this part along I-85 in Cabarrus county will be developed while the county discourages such development in the eastern part and northern areas of the county around Mt Pleasant. Cabarrus has encouraged growth in this 85 corridor as it is the most accessible. I would say accessibility to NC and SC markets from this site along with a new build to suit building was primary reasons for this site. 

• Like 1

Here is the zoning map for Kannapolis and only part of this site is in the watershed. http://www.kannapolisnc.gov/Portals/0/Departments/Planning/Images/ZoningMap20161115.pdf?ver=2016-11-15-114312-627   I have no interest in this property just reporting what is going on and explaining why they want a new building. I don't even shop at Amazon! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the zoning map for Kannapolis and only part of this site is in the watershed. http://www.kannapolisnc.gov/Portals/0/Departments/Planning/Images/ZoningMap20161115.pdf?ver=2016-11-15-114312-627   I have no interest in this property just reporting what is going on and explaining why they want a new building. I don't even shop at Amazon! 

I know why they want a new building. I know Kannapolis and Cabarrus County are hell-bent on having Amazon build it too, just as any rural county would. My issue is the location. I can't tell from your map where exactly 6501 Macedonia Church falls, but I can tell you, as a land owner near there, it's gorgeous land as is. What is the point of having very specific industrial parks like the ones carefully planned out near the airport and I-85 if you're just going bulldoze open land (arguably watershed) ? This is progress?