Jump to content

krazeeboi

Charlotte area "ring cities"

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Older warehouses don't have the ceiling height needed for modern efficient distribution. Older warehouses have 20-24 foot ceiling heights vs 30-36 feet in the new buildings. Plus where you would you put a 1 million sq ft building within the city limits of Charlotte? Not many choices. Like it or not this part along I-85 in Cabarrus county will be developed while the county discourages such development in the eastern part and northern areas of the county around Mt Pleasant. Cabarrus has encouraged growth in this 85 corridor as it is the most accessible. I would say accessibility to NC and SC markets from this site along with a new build to suit building was primary reasons for this site. 

Right, I'm wondering, as Windsurfer said, why they didn't build a NEW building near the airport (where they are building tons of new warehouse space and contains their Concord facility) or in the International Business Park (which seems to have plenty of land left to develop). I'm sure there must be some reason, just can't figure it out.

49 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

but we're going to have to foot the bill for widening 73 and tributary roads.

 

The long range plan is to widen 73 anyway. I want this sooner rather than later, so this might be one reason I'm happy they chose this site.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Not sure why they chose the exact spot but there are no 1 million sq ft building sites left by the Concord Airport.Tthose buildings are smaller save for one which is Concord Airport Park West was going to have.  They leased the first 100K of 300K building to Classic Graphics. This building was expandable to 1 Million sq ft so I am sure they tried  to get Amazon to lease it  as Silverman Group is  Amazon's landlord in one of their buildings across the street. For whatever reason it did not work out so they looked elsewhere but Beacon Partners warehouse park has no 1 million sq ft building site. That is a 4 building warehouse park but I think the biggest warehouse there is 309K sq ft or so. 

Yes Hwy 73 has long been on the plans to be widened between 85 and 77 and it much needed. 

In terms of the land this new Amazon warehouse is going on according to the map half of it was zoned industrial anyway but they rezoned the other half that is partially in the watershed. I am sure they will be all kinds of detention ponds and drainage controls as I  think that was a condition of zoning. 

Here is the article about the rezoning and it talks about the watershed issues

http://www.independenttribune.com/news/controversial-rezoning-to-be-considered-tonight/article_20716df0-b581-11e6-afeb-3ff5d021edae.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

 

In terms of the land this new Amazon warehouse is going on according to the map half of it was zoned industrial anyway but they rezoned the other half that is partially in the watershed. I am sure they will be all kinds of detention ponds and drainage controls as I  think that was a condition of zoning. 

Here is the article about the rezoning and it talks about the watershed issues

http://www.independenttribune.com/news/controversial-rezoning-to-be-considered-tonight/article_20716df0-b581-11e6-afeb-3ff5d021edae.html

Good article. Thanks. The comments by readers at the end are very clear and well-reasoned. Nobody, except a few councilmen, were for this. It required changing the boundary for the watershed. Like I said before, in another life this would be challenged by The DNR or even EPA. It's absurd.  All for the sake of "jobs". Jobs won't mean squat when all the land is gobbled up and water contaminated. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is interesting. Davidson one of the wealthiest and educated towns in our region is worried that a Hyatt branded hotel might bring in human trafficking into their town?  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article172648876.html?itx[idio]=6199977&ito=792&itq=10cd7fc6-5e1b-4b8b-b6bf-bddc38ef8594

I will leave it right there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, KJHburg said:

This is interesting. Davidson one of the wealthiest and educated towns in our region is worried that a Hyatt branded hotel might bring in human trafficking into their town?  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article172648876.html?itx[idio]=6199977&ito=792&itq=10cd7fc6-5e1b-4b8b-b6bf-bddc38ef8594

I will leave it right there. 

Filed away with "sidewalks bring the riff raff"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 9:32 PM, tozmervo said:

It's also the first job force that will be obliterated by self-driving technology. I think 20-somethings planning on a career in trucking are making a terrible mistake.

Self-driving is a cool innovation but a lot of truck drivers think of it as a threat to their jobs. With self-driving, the truck parts are being controlled by a driver remotely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cotton field almost ready for harvest in Cabarrus County only about 20 miles from uptown Charlotte in southern Cabarrus. 

cottonfields.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Cotton field almost ready for harvest in Cabarrus County only about 20 miles from uptown Charlotte in southern Cabarrus. 

cottonfields.jpg

We should appreciate this photo. In the future, the NAACP may demand that cotton no longer be grown.  

  • Downvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I don't know where you think you are or who you think this audience is, but this was highly inappropriate. 

And I will certainly always cherish your valued opinion. :rofl:

  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

We should appreciate this photo. In the future, the NAACP may demand that cotton no longer be grown.  

Good job on getting banned from the site. I've only had to ban a handful of users from the site since I started it (outside of obvious spammers), yet you somehow managed to join such ranks.

This site is welcoming to users of all races, religions, views, etc. This site does NOT put up with such racist remarks. Goodbye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, KJHburg said:

Cotton field almost ready for harvest in Cabarrus County only about 20 miles from uptown Charlotte in southern Cabarrus. 

I grew up in a cotton-rich area of rural Tennessee. By late October, it was like snowfall the fields were so white. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out in the hinterlands today went by Apple's huge campus in Maiden.   Here is a small building part of Apple's mega huge data center in Catawba county.  Their property holdings are around 700 acres now and growing and many acres of solar arrays easily seen from US 321.  However the main buildings are much harder to see without entry into the secure complex. Here is a new small building near the entrance.  If you have an I-Phone the I-Cloud is physically here about 40 miles NW of uptown. 

http://www.catawbaedc.org/news/new-apple-investment-in-catawba-county-could-eventually-push-spending-there-to-5b

Best seen on Google maps  

 

http://www.catawbaedc.org/news/new-apple-investment-in-catawba-county-could-eventually-push-spending-there-to-5b

IMG_1301.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 5:10 PM, Neo said:

Good job on getting banned from the site. I've only had to ban a handful of users from the site since I started it (outside of obvious spammers), yet you somehow managed to join such ranks.

This site is welcoming to users of all races, religions, views, etc. This site does NOT put up with such racist remarks. Goodbye.

Thank you.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.