Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

I will let y'all come up with a headline for this story about a chicken waste to energy plant to be built in Anson County.  

""A Finnish company wants to build a $15 million plant in Anson County to convert poultry waste into natural gas that will eventually be used to create electricity.  “Anson County is home to more than 940 poultry houses and produces 5.5 million birds annually,” he says. Those birds produce so much waste that the local row-crop farmers can’t handle it all. The standard use for poultry waste is applying it to crops as a fertilizer.  The biogas plant will employ between eight and 10 workers, paying them wages above the $32,584 average annual salary for Anson County.  Catawba Biogas won't receive local corporate incentives for bringing the plant to Anson County. The Anson County plant will be the first U.S. operation for Ductor Corp., a Finnish company that operates a similar biogas plant in Tuorla, Finland. Catawba Biogas is owned by Ductor North America Inc., a unit of Ductor.""

Subscriber article which somehow I missed https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/10/charlotte-area-county-picked-for-15m-chicken-waste.html

• Like 3

RoundPoint Mortgage is doing the border shuffle and building a larger HQ campus in the new Southbridge development in Fort Mill. The company will have 1,100 jobs at the office. Texas was also in the running for the HQ and is the current home to RoundPoint's CEO. 

RoundPoint is currently in an older dated office park off Billy Graham Parkway as you head out towards the airport. SC and York County are supporting them in the construction of their new suburban campus. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/22/charlotte-mortgage-company-jumps-carolinas-border.html

^^ These mortgage companies like to jump to state lines because for every job, not just those added to their existing force they get job incentives.  Movement, and years ago Wells Fargo did this however mortgage banking jobs expand then contract and sometimes they don't meet their new job targets.   Parkway Plaza where they are leaving is an older office park built in the 1980s however it is very cheap office space in a convenient location to the airport, southpark and uptown.  Cheap decent office space is appealing to companies. glad they are staying in the region but I guess I just dont like firms jumping the state line like that.   SC business taxes are actually higher than NC's now. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^ These mortgage companies like to jump to state lines because for every job, not just those added to their existing force they get job incentives.  Movement, and years ago Wells Fargo did this however mortgage banking jobs expand then contract and sometimes they don't meet their new job targets.   Parkway Plaza where they are leaving is an older office park built in the 1980s however it is very cheap office space in a convenient location to the airport, southpark and uptown.  Cheap decent office space is appealing to companies. glad they are staying in the region but I guess I just dont like firms jumping the state line like that.   SC business taxes are actually higher than NC's now. 

I think incentives are part of it, as well as finding suitable land for client specific new suburban office campuses. Meck doesn't have a lot of big plots of land left where a suburban campus like this makes sense. Since they are located off Billy Graham currently, I am guessing many of the employees with families live in Fort Mill / York County and Ballantyne anyhow. Lots of SC license plates getting on I-77 southbound at 5PM from the Billy Graham office parks. The horrible location they are currently in probably didn't help vs . Yorkmount Road has 1 lane in each direction, is completely car dependent, and dumps commuters into the odd Tryon / Nation Ford/ Yorkmount / Billy Graham intersection causing mile long traffic backups. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Not close enough to be a ring city, but perhaps 2nd Ring City? Chester, SC

Has anyone ever been to Chester? I went through it on my way back from Greenville one time, and I was floored at how beautiful it was.

It had its standard suburban strip development outside the downtown, but it also has one of those "Red Carpet" main streets as I call them where there is a nice .5-to-1.0 mile of beautiful old victorians, duplexes, and fourplexes (a few of which I saw being renovated, which was neat).

The downtown has a couple amazing corner-oriented strips of old buildings, and the hills in downtown make for a really amazing effect in person. 

I'm always seeking out which small Carolina town I'll retire to:rolleyes:

That downtown looks amazing.    Empty but amazing potential.  

Wonder how long before it starts to flip.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

That downtown looks amazing.    Empty but amazing potential.  

Wonder how long before it starts to flip.

Chester's (sole?) claim to fame is that it was the filming location of the 1983 miniseries "Chiefs," with Charlton Heston, Wayne Rogers, Keith Carradine, Tess Harper and a bunch of others. I recognized that uphill shot from the show immediately, and I haven't seen it in at least 30 years. Memory's not gone yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...