Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

finally the area's 3rd Costco location.  

""Costco plans to open its Mooresville store in June, according to the retailer's website. The Charlotte Observer notes that store, which is anchoring a sprawling retail center off Interstate 77 at Exit 35, will be the wholesale club's third in the greater Charlotte region. It will compete with Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale Club, both of which already have locations in the Lake Norman community.""

from the Business Journal this morning. 

• Like 2

Kannapolis attracts a  new Vet owned brewery to its rapidly revitalizing downtown area.  Along with the baseball station and new apartments and the existing NC Research Campus this downtown is the one to watch (along with Gastonia) with rapid changes in the next few years. 

""The first new business in Kannapolis' remade downtown will be a craft brewery owned and operated by veterans — and employing as many vets as former Marine Capt. Kyle Lingafelt can afford to hire.  Kannapolis beer fans will have to wait until September or around that time to sample a Blue Falcon triple Belgian or an Oh Dark Thirty at the Armory Beer Co. It'll be located in a renovated space in the former Rotary building on West Avenue.  Lingafelt says there’s no reason to fear all of the jingoist puns that were thrown around Veterans Park on Friday morning as the trio of former military men announced their craft brewery.""

subscriber article  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/05/03/photosplanned-brewery-to-serve-as-anchor-for.html

""The 12,000-square-foot building targeted for Armory Beer will also be the first business to open in the $70 million Vida development downtown. Other elements will include a hotel, 286 apartments and 18,000 square feet of retail, says Kent Gregory, managing member of MGB Development Group.  MGB of Savannah, Georgia, is now talking with hotel companies about which flag the 120-room hotel will fly at the $70 million, mixed-use development.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

On 5/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, KJHburg said:

NJ company moving total operations to Concord a polymer manufacturer. 30 new jobs. 

http://cabarrusedc.com/news/2019/05/02/press-release/new-jersey-based-company-plans-move-to-cabarrus-county/

In follow up to this here is an article about the NJ based polymer company moving its HQ and manufacturing to Concord.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/05/06/biotech-company-to-move-headquarters-production-to.html

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, KJHburg said:

Waxhaw is one of my favorite ring towns.  I counted in the 2 block downtown (and that is about the whole thing on both sides of the track)  at least 5 restaurants, 2 ice cream shops, 1 cupcakery, 1 brewery and 1 wine and craft beer shop.  To quote a very old Charlotte radio skit once you go Waxhaw you won't go Back-saw.  Also noticed some new apartments on the edge of downtown and a photo of the Real Waxhaw Rail Trail.  Come on down just follow Providence Road south till it dead ends!  Today and yes I was in uptown, Southpark and Waxhaw today alone that is why I consider QuikTrip my friend!  Plus downtown has a non chain coffee shop!  Plan a visit soon and bring your bike and explore even a bike shop if repairs needed. 

IMG_3834.JPG

Good photos of beautiful downtown Waxhaw, KJH.

A long-range shot of the barber shop I've been going to for 12 years or so is above.  I added a close-up, below (photo taken from the web; not by me).

Why is the Broome Barber Shop so notable?  (I mean besides the fact that they cut my hair.)  Though it is by no means in the oldest building in town, it is the oldest business operating there -- barbering since 1932.   It is, of course, and old-fashioned barber shop, not a salon.  Four chairs, usually three barbers on duty at any given time; closed for an hour for lunch. Haircuts just went up $3 to $15 ($13 for seniors) -- horrors, those SouthPark prices are sneaking down Providence Road!  

20180612_1484-copy-1-696x1044.thumb.jpg.dd31e73460bd437e00073e2017724361.jpg

A few thoughts about Waxhaw...

The town is far more development-friendly than my hometown of Weddington, just up Providence.  I live about midway between Waverly and Waxhaw, both of which are growing and developing rapidly, as opposed to Weddington, which is snoozing -- by choice, choosing to maintain strictly single-family, 1 acre+ minimum lots (with smaller building lots permitted in some cases if common areas offset).  Weddington, with the exception of one small strip center which predates the incorporation of the town, and is grandfathered, has nothing other than large-lot residential development.  Churches and schools are permitted, but that's about it -- no small-lot single-family; no patio homes, townhouses, condos, or apartments; no hotels; no new retail; no office parks; and needless to say, no industrial development.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Weddington in the next decade or so.  The economic pressure to allow denser development, especially along Providence, which is slated to be four-laned to Waxhaw, will be intense.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, KJHburg said:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...