Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

Concord just approved a 166 unit apartment building downtown which significantly ups the ante for Concord's downtown. There are currently a couple of converted buildings that were made residential, but this certainly has the potential to change the vibe in a significant way:

https://www.independenttribune.com/news/concord-approves-construction-of-unit-apartment-complex-in-downtown/article_02bb3336-8ee6-11e9-b3af-dbc286cf2731.html

5d04089eb8fce.image.jpg

On 6/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, KJHburg said:

dinner in downtown Fort Mill last night lunch with friends  today at the Rock Store BBQ in Stallings.  I am eating my way around the ring cities.  (and yes I have favorite places in Mooresville, Waxhaw, Gastonia, Concord, Kannapolis, Oakboro,  Belmont, Locust too) 

My friend's daughters rib plate and she finished them off except for one.  (and she is petite)

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

Off the Square in Al-be'marle... would be a very nice place to spend some time...        http://www.offthesquarenc.com/ 

• Like 4

Locust is great and I have been to the town center and yes eaten there too at SoJo.   It does have a mixture of uses and I did not the original downtown or older buildings were knocked over the highway widening.  Stanly County especially this area is really growing as it is only about 12 miles from I-485 and is more affordable than even Cabarrus County. 

• Like 2

I didn't realize that TJ Maxx/Homegoods was relocating from Concord Mills Mall.  If I am not mistaken, they were one of the original tenants when the mall opened up in 1999.  I wonder if a new tenant has been selected to fill the upcoming spot!

45 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I didn't realize that TJ Maxx/Homegoods was relocating from Concord Mills Mall.  If I am not mistaken, they were one of the original tenants when the mall opened up in 1999.  I wonder if a new tenant has been selected to fill the upcoming spot!

I would not be surprised if they TJ Maxx Corp. puts another concept in that space at the mall like Marshalls or the Sierra Trading they are trying to grow now.   the store at the mall does extremely well but it is a destination store that will draw people to it wherever it is located.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I was curious......

While many love the vibe of Uptown and the surrounding urban enclaves like Dilworth, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Southend, etc.,

My question would be if you had to be in the Burbs of Charlotte, which one would you choose and for what reason???

And by Burbs I mean Concord, Moorseville, Huntersville, Gastonia, Rock Hill/Fort Mill, Mint Hill, etc......

Any Takers!?

If it were me, I would probably choose somewhere close to Lake Norman (Davidson maybe), but I’m partial to Natural features like water and mountains. 

The only drawback on the North End would be I-77. I still feel like I-85 flows MUCH better in peak travel times.

If commuting to an office or work location is a concern I would need to know that.  If you work uptown I would look to Cabarrus County Concord, Harrisburg and west to Belmont and Mt Holly if we are talking about  living outside of Charlotte.   I would consider Waxhaw it is a great little lively town and convenient to south Charlotte not so much to uptown of course.  Mint Hill is nice too.   If you don't need to commute into Charlotte I would consider Mooresville great little downtown, lake living etc.  

The northern Meck towns are all good too Davidson Cornelius and Huntersville the latter being the biggest by far. 

I tell people all the time there is a neighborhood and or town to suit every lifestyle in the Charlotte area and all reasonable commute to the center city if that is what you are doing. 

As for SC Fort Mill is great and growing and convenient to Charlotte.  Of the true ring cities I prefer  Concord over Rock Hill.   I also like the 3 lakes of the region. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

If commuting to an office or work location is a concern I would need to know that.  If you work uptown I would look to Cabarrus County Concord, Harrisburg and west to Belmont and Mt Holly if we are talking outer living outside of Charlotte.   I would consider Waxhaw it is a great little lively town and convenient to south Charlotte not so much to uptown of course.  Mint Hill is nice too.   If you don't need to commute into Charlotte I would consider Mooresville great little downtown, lake living etc.  

The northern Meck towns are all good too Davidson Cornelius and Huntersville the latter being the biggest by far. 

I tell people all the time there is a neighborhood and or town to suit every lifestyle in the Charlotte area and all reasonable commute to the center city if that is what you are doing. 

As for SC Fort Mill is great and growing and convenient to Charlotte.  Of the true ring cities I prefer  Concord over Rock Hill.   I also like the 3 lakes of the region. 

I can dig that KH! :tw_glasses:

• Like 1