Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 11/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, tarhoosier said:

Election story/joke. Feel free to tell this as your own with what changes you wish:

Small town where everyone knows all. Owner of barber shop always talks about how wonderful things will be when Democrats rule things. Every election when paper ballots are counted there is a single Democrat choice. Barber is a fine man, sponsors a Little League team, friend to all, and everyone in town. Each person has peccadillo and this, apparently, is his. Minor and benign, say his fellows. Sadly the barber dies. The funeral is a send-off to a valued member of the community. At the church after the ceremony memories are shared and much smiling recalling his lifelong support of Democrats and that single Democrat vote.

Next election officials overturn election box and sifting through they realize there is a single Democrat vote. Stunned silence. "You know what this means? We buried the wrong man!"

This may have happened in Glasscock County Georgia

Politics[edit]

Glascock County, a rural, sparsely-populated, majority-White county, is arguably the most Republican of Georgia's 159 counties, and one of the most Republican counties in the United States, with almost 90 percent of voters supporting Donald Trump in 2020. In addition, Republican percentages have been in the 80s since 2004, and the last Democrat to win the county was Georgian Jimmy Carter in 1980.(citation needed)

• Members+
  • 2394 posts

Perfect Tuesday

Drive to York city, seat of York County. I am embarrassed to say that I lived in Charlotte for too many years until I learned that the seat of York County was York city and not Rock Hill.

----------------------------------------------

Regarding my education about York County Seat, as mentioned above, I told my story to a friend who is an architect with projects in the region. He said messengers and young employees going to Caldwell County  Building Inspection and permit office with project papers are specifically told to set the GPS for Newton, NC and not Hickory.

• Like 1

Birkdale Village still looks good after all these years.  These photos are from Wednesday and here is a story on their new ownership too.  and new shopping center renovation of New England looking buildings across the street in front of the Birkdale neighborhood. 

North American Properties, Nuveen Real Estate now own Birkdale Village in Huntersville - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

IMG_8673.JPG

IMG_8674.JPG

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

• Like 4

On 11/20/2020 at 7:21 PM, KJHburg said:

Outer ring town report.  Went to visit with my college roommate who lost both his parents in a span of 3 months in Star in Montgomery County in the Uwharries region.   

7.8..9.10.  Town of Star, NC the center of NC or pretty close to it.  Nice older buildings and a great bed and breakfast the historic Star Inn which is pictured.

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

My family lives near star in the countryside. The town library has a plaque on the side of it declaring that location as the exact geographic center of NC.

Star is an old mill town that is a shell of itself during its heyday since the mills left but the people and town remain. 

The cool thing is that many of those borded up abandoned buildings are having their second floors converted apartments.

There's also an Aberdeen and western train museum in town. As well as Starworks which is a glass blowing/pottery/art guild with a neat cafe/tavern.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 4

^Reliable source says the gas station was Wilhelm's Esso/Exxon.  

..and the reliable source also highly recommends a visit to the Albemarle Sweet Shop located just behind the Starns Jewelry store.  Get several of the " fruit " bars.  "Fruit in name only as they will send blood sugars through the roof.  But worth it. 

Edited by Bikeguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very much obliged, Bikeguy. I saw the sweet shop on my drive. and it appeared to be a going business though everything closed Sunday. 

Checking historic gas station designs today and it appears that this specific design, and its variations, was not particular to a brand. It is similar to that of several brands built during a mid-century burst of station construction. 

A tour through the empty city displayed the primary element of re-use so I focussed on that for my post. Learning from our overlooked neighbors.

• Like 2

My tour of overlooked surrounding counties, what we can learn from them, what their courthouses say about their history and desires, has been guided by the Charlotte MSA and CSA listing of counties. I also find this additional information:

Counties[edit]

The official Charlotte metropolitan area includes the Charlotte–Concord–Gastonia MSA (Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan, and Union counties in North Carolina; Chester, Lancaster and York counties in South Carolina). The Charlotte CSA includes all the MSA counties along with the following micropolitan areas in North Carolina: Albemarle (Stanly County) and Shelby (Cleveland County). (Census Bureau definition for CSA)[12]

The Charlotte Regional Partnership also identifies four additional counties to the what they refer to as the 'Charlotte Region'-Alexander, Anson and Catawba counties in North Carolina, and Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Catawba and Alexander counties are currently part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area or 'The Unifour', and Anson County was once part of the MSA and CSA, until it was removed in 2011. Factoring in the Unifour, as well as Anson and Chesterfield counties, if one considers these regions to be part of the Charlotte area, as many in the area regard them as such, the population according to 2018 Census estimates, increases to 3,190,390.

QUESTION 

How many of you consider Chesterfield SC, Alexander and Caldwell NC part of the "Charlotte" region, in the development and Urban Planet sense which guides us here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

My tour of overlooked surrounding counties, what we can learn from them, what their courthouses say about their history and desires, has been guided by the Charlotte MSA and CSA listing of counties. I also find this additional information:

Counties[edit]

The official Charlotte metropolitan area includes the Charlotte–Concord–Gastonia MSA (Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan, and Union counties in North Carolina; Chester, Lancaster and York counties in South Carolina). The Charlotte CSA includes all the MSA counties along with the following micropolitan areas in North Carolina: Albemarle (Stanly County) and Shelby (Cleveland County). (Census Bureau definition for CSA)[12]

The Charlotte Regional Partnership also identifies four additional counties to the what they refer to as the 'Charlotte Region'-Alexander, Anson and Catawba counties in North Carolina, and Chesterfield County, South Carolina. Catawba and Alexander counties are currently part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area or 'The Unifour', and Anson County was once part of the MSA and CSA, until it was removed in 2011. Factoring in the Unifour, as well as Anson and Chesterfield counties, if one considers these regions to be part of the Charlotte area, as many in the area regard them as such, the population according to 2018 Census estimates, increases to 3,190,390.

QUESTION 

How many of you consider Chesterfield SC, Alexander and Caldwell NC part of the "Charlotte" region, in the development and Urban Planet sense which guides us here?

If I'm an economic development guru in Alexander county, I'm definitely trying to sell "Charlotte Region" more than "Unifour" or "Hickory Region."

If I'm a politician in Alexander county, "we don't need Charlotte, we have everything we need here in the Hickory area."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

QUESTION 

having been to all 100 counties I think Alexander county is in the orbit of Hickory and statesville not so much Charlotte but also Caldwell county.  Chesterfield in my opinion is apart of our tv market but so is Ashe County in the NW corner of NC.  I really dont think it is a part of the Charlotte metro or even region.  There is a huge Walmart distribution center there that I am sure serves our metro but beyond that there may be some commuting into Union County with its manufacturing jobs.  Caldwell is part of the Hickory metro but parts of Catawba county are more Charlotte centric the SE corner in Sherrils Ford and Terrell communities around the lake.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...