Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 5/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, rancenc said:

For those of us that live near this development, it is going to be hell on wheels.  Belmont City Council and Planning Department posted that they discussed this for four hours last night.  What a monumental waste of time.  They knew they were going to approve this - and did it anyway.  These people are responsible for making Eastern Gaston County look exactly like any paved over portion of Mecklenburg County.  If there is an open lot or plot of land, they are going to just OK whatever developer walks up to them with a proposal.  The infrastructure is not able to handle what is currently traveling on the roads, and dumping 800 homes (it doesn't matter if it is a 55+ age group), there are going to be even more traffic issues on roads that cannot handle it.

Not to mention, it is going to roll along the South Fork River to the east.  Based on what I have heard and seen from other developments going up along the South Fork and Catawba, these developers do little to no remediation when it comes to runoff.  They could care less about other people's property and the damage it does.

There are many of us in Gaston County that are understanding about growth and that it is inevitable.  However, Belmont is taking a stance that they don't care that it takes people from Gastonia, Cramerton, McAdenville and South Carolina a tremendous amount of time just to get through that town to get to 85 or Wilkinson Boulevard.  They just want the tax base.  I've said it before, but residential tax base will not sustain long term.  They are not looking for any business to set up shop.  At least Gastonia is trying to score new corporate business partners to establish a workforce.

It's all about smart growth, which IMHO, Belmont is lacking.  Unfortunately, I don't live there, so I don't have a say in their elections.  I would certainly be voting against every single one of them though.

3 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

I went to the outer ring today - Asheboro - to visit the antique mall.  Impressive mill presence in the area.  

All those pictures are quite familiar to me as I grew up there.  My parents are still there so I visit a couple times a year.  If it weren't for them I would never go there, though.  Suffice it to say you couldn't pay me enough to live in that town.  rancenc is correct, though.  Asheboro is definitely part of the Triad and about 20 or 25 minutes from Greensboro.  Folks there are closely tied to Greensboro and I would not be surprised at all if most have never even been to Charlotte.  I know people there my age (old) who have never been on a plane and think going to Myrtle Beach is a big deal.  It's not entirely like that as I also know a few well-traveled and interesting people there but they're the exception not the rule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Children were valuable to mill spinning operations as a thread break meant stopping machinery and finding the break and tying the thread (yarn) and restarting. A small person could crawl quickly into the machinery and small fingers make quick work. It was a different kind of misery for poor whites from subsistence agriculture and occasional famine. Also they would never compete with blacks for these jobs. It was whites only. The owners would likely have used blacks at lower wage but the whites would have none of it. 

Lewis Hine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hine

• Thanks 1

L-o-o–o-o-o-ng ago when the route to Chapel Hill and Raleigh from Charlotte was through Asheboro, the Blue Mist restaurant was the stopping place for Bar b que. Blue Mist=hickory smoke (get it?).  Great name. I have not been there in 40 years. It closed a few years ago but a sister restaurant in Randleman persists. 

I take this discussion off track for the historic features of Asheboro. MANY people will recall the Blue Mist..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/29/2021 at 8:48 PM, JacksonH said:

All those pictures are quite familiar to me as I grew up there.  My parents are still there so I visit a couple times a year.  If it weren't for them I would never go there, though.  Suffice it to say you couldn't pay me enough to live in that town.  rancenc is correct, though.  Asheboro is definitely part of the Triad and about 20 or 25 minutes from Greensboro.  Folks there are closely tied to Greensboro and I would not be surprised at all if most have never even been to Charlotte.  I know people there my age (old) who have never been on a plane and think going to Myrtle Beach is a big deal.  It's not entirely like that as I also know a few well-traveled and interesting people there but they're the exception not the rule.

What a depressed city Asheboro looks to be. Wow. Asheboro and Randolph County are well known as very racist with rumors of active KKK. Let it rot.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Skyybutter said:

What a depressed city Asheboro looks to be. Wow. Asheboro and Randolph County are well known as very racist with rumors of active KKK. Let it rot.

I have to say that Facebook was an eye-opener for me.  I joined in 2008 and reconnected with a number of people I was with in high school, that I had been completely out of touch with for decades.  It was shocking.  It was if the world had been turning for 35 years,  except for A'boro. I've had some very uncomfortable exchanges with some of those folks.  I mostly have to ignore them in order to prevent my blood  from  boiling  over.  Not ironically, the few that grew into cool, open-minded adults also (with only a couple  exceptions) moved away from there long ago and have never looked back.  The ones that stayed behind tend to be, well, different.

• Like 2