Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

I have met MANY bigoted and racist people in the cities too both in the Northeast and south. 

We NEED the rural areas and small towns in order to survive in the big cities.  Most of the factories in this country are in small towns.  Not to mention where our food comes from so I do not like small town bashing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I have met MANY bigoted and racist people in the cities too both in the Northeast and south. 

We NEED the rural areas and small towns in order to survive in the big cities.  Most of the factories in this country are in small towns.  Not to mention where our food comes from so I do not like small town bashing. 

I gave my thoughts on Asheboro and Randolph County. There are many small towns such as Davidson,  Franklin, and Marshall NC that produce food and had/have factories. But to my knowledge free thinking and difference of opinion are quite welcome in those towns. 

Places like Denton and Asheboro, among others, people get hurt sometimes for not following the pack. 

Watering down present day reality has failed so many times in history. 

That area of NC is as racist and bigoted as it gets in our state. FACTS.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Skyybutter said:

I gave my thoughts on Asheboro and Randolph County. There are many small towns such as Davidson,  Franklin, and Marshall NC that produce food and had/have factories. But to my knowledge free thinking and difference of opinion are quite welcome in those towns. 

Places like Denton and Asheboro, among others, people get hurt sometimes for not following the pack. 

Watering down present day reality has failed so many times in history. 

That area of NC is as racist and bigoted as it gets in our state. FACTS.

I'll never forget one of my delivery men returning from Asheboro, crying. He was African American.  He told me the owner of the business where he was supposed to have made a delivery ran him off the property with a gun. I called up the owner .  In the owner's words, " I don't want any GD N..... on my property.  Find someone white to deliver!"     Of course I just cut him off after that. 

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Nick2 said:

@JacksonH Redneck culture is still alive and well but if you stay away from certain parts of town, you wouldn't notice it much. Hang out downtown in the coffee shops, restaurants, bars/brewery, farmers market, parks, theater, etc and the group of people you'll see are similar to what you'd find in a more "sophisticated" city. 

There's also a thriving Mexican American culture. I've been to a few amazing quinceaneras and block parties with people I've worked with or went to school with. It's a lot of fun interacting with different people groups. Asheboro is 30% Hispanic.

You'll do yourself a favor if you delete any Qanon/magahat wearing wackadoodles from your life. They're much louder in media than in real life.

I commend you.  You have a lot more fortitude than I do.  That town needs more like you.  I do know you're not alone, but it's just that you're a rare breed. 

There are 100 counties in NC and Randolph has the 13th lowest COVID vaccination rate.  They have never taken it seriously and last year was very difficult for me because my parents are there and they're elderly.  My mother was terrified by the people in that community and their lack of concern/caring. One of her good friends was hospitalized with COVID, and a family member of a family that runs a nursing home apparently died of COVID but they tried to keep it secret, which disturbs me on several levels.  I stayed in a hotel in December that advertised that staff were following mask policy, but they weren't!  It's all just very disturbing to me.  Not to mention, Heirs of the Confederacy (a hate group) is based there.  But people like you, and this guy --  (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kemp -- who grew up in my neighborhood, give me some hope.

4 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

You are absolutely correct!  And add Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough to that list.  I recently discovered Hillsborough and I absolutely love it!  Everything about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, Bikeguy said:

I do have been to the Off the Square restaurant and thought it was good.  I think you will see Albemarle really grow as well as all of Stanly County in the next 5 years.  it is affordable and close to Charlotte. 

• Like 4

On 7/16/2021 at 9:20 PM, Bikeguy said:

My region of the state is known as the Albemarle region. We have Museum of the Albemarle and College of the Albemarle, etc. I've always wondered if the town of Albemarle had the same namesake.

Decades ago when one used an operator to reach a long distance number I was calling Albemarle city and the operator connected me to Albemarle (something) in the north east of the state. I was in Tennessee, never been in North Carolina, and knew nothing of the region, Sound, or other factors creating this confusion. 

The Albemarle Sound region and the city of Albemarle are not as mixed up as the two Greenvilles one in North and one in South Carolina.  when I was at ECU in Greenville NC a basketball team landed in Greenville SC to play ECU!  this was widely reported.  

The Albemarle Region esp. Currituck and Camden counties in Northeastern NC getting quite a bit of overflow from the Tidewater metro Norfolk VA Beach and lots of new homes are built in towns like Moyock just inside NC from VA.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The Albemarle Sound region and the city of Albemarle are not as mixed up as the two Greenvilles one in North and one in South Carolina.  when I was at ECU in Greenville NC a basketball team landed in Greenville SC to play ECU!  this was widely reported.  

The Albemarle Region esp. Currituck and Camden counties in Northeastern NC getting quite a bit of overflow from the Tidewater metro Norfolk VA Beach and lots of new homes are built in towns like Moyock just inside NC from VA.  

I never thought I'd see someone mention Moyock on UP. :w00t:

Your comment is spot on and 100% correct KJ. You do have a vast knowledge of the happenings not only in Charlotte and it's surrounding area but all over this great state. I look forward to the information you bring to us on this site (and everyone else too of course).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1