Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

I have been to all 100 NC counties and many repeatedly and northern Currituck county mainland is booming as is the little town of Moyock.   I love the Currituck county beaches and have been to Dismal Swamp State Park on my tour of that part of the state.  Lot of wind turbines up  there reminded me of west Texas.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

I never thought I'd see someone mention Moyock on UP. :w00t:

Your comment is spot on and 100% correct KJ. You do have a vast knowledge of the happenings not only in Charlotte and it's surrounding area but all over this great state. I look forward to the information you bring to us on this site (and everyone else too of course).

Fun fact about Moyock is that it used to be home to a racetrack that hosted NASCAR races in the 1960s.  It was called Dog Track Speedway.  Ned Jarrett won four races there, and Richard Petty raced there six times but never won.  A subdivision has been built over where it used to lie, and its streets reflect its past with names such as Homestead Ln, Victory Ct, and the like.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More apartments just started in downtown Kannapolis from the Biz Journal today.

""On Thursday, LMG's Peter Flotz and city leaders broke ground on 200 Main, an apartment project at the corner of Main Street and Cannon Baller Way. The project will include 78 apartments and around 3,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space, Flotz said. 200 Main calls for an estimated investment of $21 million and is expected to be completed in spring 2023.  The project neighbors Vida Kannapolis, LMG's first apartment project downtown. Flotz and Kannapolis Mayor Darrell Hinnant touted Vida as a big success so far. The 289-unit complex is 78% leased after opening earlier this year. Flotz said Vida included a total investment of around $56 million.""

Lansing Melbourne Group, Kannapolis leaders break ground on apartments - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""In April, Tri Pointe Homes broke ground on Pennant Square townhomes between South Main Street, West F Street and Dale Earnhardt Boulevard. The 120-unit project is bringing for-sale residential product to the downtown effort to complement LMG's apartment developments. The townhomes are expected to begin delivering next year.""

and this 

""Renovations are underway at the Swanee Theatre, which is being led by Kent Gregory, who works with LMG. The theatre will be used as a live-music venue, and Hinnant said Thursday the city was aiming for an opening there in October or November. The historic Gem Theatre is undergoing several phases of renovations, as well.""

next Saturday 21 at 4 pm the UP Meetup in the ring city of Kannapolis and you can see a lot is happening there! 

• Like 4

On 7/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, KJHburg said:

The Albemarle Sound region and the city of Albemarle are not as mixed up as the two Greenvilles one in North and one in South Carolina.  when I was at ECU in Greenville NC a basketball team landed in Greenville SC to play ECU!  this was widely reported.  

Being from SC where most counties share the name of their county seats, I always thought it was weird that in NC, neither Asheville or Asheboro are in Ashe County, the town of Henderson is nowhere near Henderson County, Pittsboro is not in Pitt County, the city of Lenoir is not in Lenoir County, Graham is the Alamance County seat and not the Graham County seat, Mooresville is not in Moore County, etc. I'm sure there have been some mixups here that just haven't been very widely reported.

35 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

Being from SC where most counties share the name of their county seats, I always thought it was weird that in NC, neither Asheville or Asheboro are in Ashe County, the town of Henderson is nowhere near Henderson County, Pittsboro is not in Pitt County, the city of Lenoir is not in Lenoir County, Graham is the Alamance County seat and not the Graham County seat, Mooresville is not in Moore County, etc. I'm sure there have been some mixups here that just haven't been very widely reported.

Rockingham, NC is the county seat of Richmond County, not Rockingham County.

• Like 3

You'd REALLY hate Georgia, which many people forget borders about 180 miles of NC.

Well, Jefferson is not in Jefferson County. Jackson is not in Jackson County. 

Washington is not in Washington County. Waynesboro is not in Wayne County. 

Oglethorpe is not in Oglethorpe County. Quitman is not in Quitman County. 

Macon is not in Macon County. Bibb City is not in Bibb County.

Forsyth, Ga., is in Monroe County. Monroe, Ga., is in Walton County.

Douglas, the city, is in Coffee County. Douglas, the county, is west of Atlanta. 

West of Macon is Crawford County. The city of Crawford is in Oglethorpe County. 

The city of Oglethorpe is in Macon County. Macon, the city, is in Bibb County. 

Bibb City is in Muscogee County, as is Columbus, which is not in Columbia County, whose county seat is Appling, which is about 150 miles away from Appling County. 

Jesup is in Wayne County; Waynesboro is in Burke County. There's a Baconton somewhere near Albany, but Bacon County is north of Waycross. 

Brantley is in Marion County, near Columbus. Brantley County is near Savannah. 

Sumter County has a city named Cobb, far from the suburban sprawl of Metro Atlanta's Cobb County. 

The county of Quitman is on the Alabama line. 

The city of Quitman is in Brooks County near Florida, nowhere near the city of Brooks, which is in Fayette County near Atlanta. 

Mitchell, the city, is in Glascock County. Mitchell, the county, is in deep south Georgia. 

The city of Dawson is in Terrell County. Dawson County is north of Atlanta. 

Union City, Union Point and Unionville are nowhere near Union County in the north Georgia mountains. 

Danielsville is the county seat of Madison County, but Madison is in Morgan County. The city of Morgan is in Calhoun County, but the city of Calhoun is in Gordon County, which happens to be across the state from the city of Gordon, which is in Wilkinson County.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Cramerton and recreational activities in the vicinity from a recent episode of "NC Weekend"!

Thank you for posting this!  I watched this episode about two weeks ago and didn't even realize they were filming in my little town!

We just had our annual Goat Island Games on Saturday, complete with the largest 5k in the County this year.  Due to current Covid issues, the event was moved from May to this past weekend.  The heat was quite oppressive, and we are looking to have it in May again next year.  We really like our little corner of the county and invite everyone to check it out!

• Like 3