Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 9/5/2021 at 2:42 PM, KJHburg said:

Downtown Gastonia has all the ingredients to boom and boom again.  New housing, new hotel, new indepedent shops, new baseball stadium etc.  I have pronounced this the decade of Gaston County.  

I wish the future Silver Line would go all the way into downtown Gastonia.  That could help make it a real entertainment destination.

• Like 2

Great story about downtown Kannapolis's rebirth in the Charlotte Magazine.  No wonder the August UP meetup was in downtown Kannapolis. 

Kannapolis Resurrected: Inside a Once-'Dead' Mill Town's Boom - Charlotte Magazine

and one point I would make Kannapolis is absolutely commutable to Charlotte especially uptown or University area where there are lots of jobs.  And it is a lot more affordable as the article states. 

Love this quote:

""Imagine the cost to live in a Charlotte neighborhood where you could walk to a grocery store, a brewery, a park, a movie theater, even an Amtrak station—all within a few blocks.  Hard to imagine. That place doesn’t exist here.  Know where it does? Downtown Kannapolis. ""   

Me:  grocery store is a Food Lion downtown, the Gem theater, Old Armor Brewery where UP meetup met, park along West Ave. and of course their Amtrak station. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

Historic Gibson Mill in Concord attracts more tenants to its food hall.

Concord's Gibson Mill snags three new restaurants - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""Three new restaurant concepts are headed to Gibson Mill in Concord.  Scratch Made Hospitality Group has signed deals for two food-stall spaces and a 2,400-square-foot restaurant at that adaptive-reuse project, says Ryan Bybee. He and Dave Herzing are behind those ventures.  Expect them to debut by early next summer.

The entire property — once a textile manufacturing plant for Cannon Mills Co. — encompasses 656,000 square feet and sits on 48 acres. Parts of it date to 1899.  To date, announced tenants include local coffee brand and roaster Defined Coffee and Johnny Roger's BBQ. Cabarrus Brewing’s Steve Steinbacher will open The Market Bar, Luck Factory Games, Taco Street and Cara’s Cookie Co.""

• Like 4

On 10/13/2021 at 10:44 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Gaston county and especially Belmont is just bonkers with growth especially down around the lake shore.  Look at McClean down around SouthPoint. 

That part of the lake is being run down with growth.  Traffic on 49 going from Steele Creek to Lake Wylie and I85S are parking lots anymore.  Growth is coming with a steep price unfortunately.

Okay this is the outer outer ring city  but really very close to Charlotte 1 hour or so.  Lexington the BBQ is good and my favorite place is featured and they have a lot more in the area.   They did not mentioned Red Bird Candy one of my favorite candies especially around Christmas.   

A Weekend in Lexington - YouTube

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1