Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 5/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, KJHburg said:

My self guided walking tour of downtown Concord.  Notice the cemetery which also is a garden and I have never seen so many living  people hanging out in a cemetery before they were there to enjoy the gardens.  Historic neighborhoods both immediately south and north of downtown Concord.   Notice how they encourage pop up shops in the coworking space hmmm wonder if a large city nearby could do this in its uptown??   Also converted all brick hotel the old Hotel Concord into apartments.  Wonder if Charlotte has any empty brick hotels that can be reused instead of destroyed???   The Queen needs to learn from its smaller neighbor city.   Lots of new renovations and construction in downtown Concord check it out.  

first photos are Memorial Gardens a cemetery and gardens. 

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

I may have mentioned this before but my grandmother grew up in Kannapolis and her mother's maiden name was Ritchie (I believe that's the correct spelling). I see the Ritchie Hardware sign and wonder if they are relatives of mine. Things like this make me feel like the Charlotte region, Kannapolis, Concord, etc are another home of mine. I feel a connection to the area.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I may have mentioned this before but my grandmother grew up in Kannapolis and her mother's maiden name was Ritchie (I believe that's the correct spelling). I see the Ritchie Hardware sign and wonder if they are relatives of mine. Things like this make me feel like the Charlotte region, Kannapolis, Concord, etc are another home of mine. I feel a connection to the area.

My neighbors are "Ritchies" (Western Cabarrus County).  Bet you have some 'Furr' or 'Tucker' too.  Both the Furrs and Tuckers arrived from  Canton Zurich around 1740.  The Furrs set up their farms around Dutch Buffalo Creek.  I don't know much about the Ritchies.

• Like 4

Kings Mountain got not only a plant save by UTZ Foods but an expansion of 115 jobs when they bought out an existing food plant.  I am a fan of the UTZ sour cream and chive potato chips.

https://charlotteregion.com/news/2022/05/09/economic-development-news/utz-brands-to-bring-115-new-jobs-in-kings-mountain-manufacturing-plant-conversion-expansion/

Manufacturing is very strong in the Charlotte region! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jobs and investment coming to Gaston County

Food manufacturer Häns Kissle to add 219 jobs, invest $42.3M at Gaston County industrial park

May 24, 2022, 12:24pm EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/11684290/apple-creek-groundbreaking*304xx3899-2599-408-0.jpg
GASTON COUNTY

Gaston County leaders recently celebrated the groundbreaking of Apple Creek Corporate Center.

Another manufacturer has landed at Apple Creek Corporate Center in Gaston County.

The state's economic investment committee today approved incentives for Häns Kissle Co., a food manufacturer based in Massachusetts, to invest $42.25 million in a new facility at Apple Creek. The investment will take place by the end of 2025, and the project is expected to create 219 jobs over five years. The building at Apple Creek will be around 100,000 square feet and is the fourth project to locate at the county-owned industrial park.

Häns Kissle manufactures salads, side dishes and entrees that are sold at grocery stores and supermarkets. The move into Gaston County is part of a multiyear growth plan for the company, which sought to establish a presence in the Southeast after primarily operating in the Northeast near its headquarters. According to its website, Häns Kissle operates a 112,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in Haverhill, Massachusetts.

“We are excited to be able to expand production to meet the growing demand for our premium products from consumers and retail partners in the Southeast,” said Scott Moffitt, CEO of Häns Kissle. “Gastonia is a thriving community with a talented workforce, and we are proud to put down roots and call it home for our new facility. We look forward to bringing great jobs to the community and being a positive contributor in many ways.”

The jobs at the new facility will come with a minimum average annual wage of $42,018. The state-approved incentives have a total value of $2.7 million and will be accompanied by local incentives with an expected total value of $3.87 million, state officials said on today's committee call. The Häns Kissle project was previously referred to in county documents under the code name Project Ashbury.

Gaston County beat out two other finalists in Oconee County, South Carolina, and Augusta, Georgia. A member of the state committee said S.C. offered an incentives package worth $14.4 million, while Georgia offered $15.5 million to land the Häns Kissle project.

"The interesting part of this is it's another food project in the park," said Donny Hicks, executive director of the Gaston County Economic Development Commission. "We now have two. We've seen a growing interest from food companies, more than I've ever seen in the last 37 years, and that is exciting for us. It is a little bit of diversification. Obviously, this type of product is something people are going to consume almost regardless of the economy. You have to have food to eat. It's a good, quality company and we're excited about what they're going to build there."

Häns Kissle joins three other manufacturers that have already announced investments at Apple Creek, while another company is committed to the site but has not yet been announced. The Häns Kissle project includes, by far, the largest job creation commitment to have landed at the park to this point.

Earlier this month, Premix Group, a plastics manufacturer based in Finland, announced it would invest $47 million and create 30 jobs at a facility at Apple Creek. Last year, Knoll America Inc. announced it would establish its U.S. headquarters and a manufacturing facility at the industrial park, including 31 new jobs. The first project announced at Apple Creek came in 2020, when GNT USA Inc., the U.S. arm of a Netherlands-based food coloring manufacturer, made a $30 million commitment there.

The fifth project at the park, which is referred to as Project Duo, is expected to be announced in the coming weeks.

The county broke ground on Apple Creek, which spans well over 300 acres, in June 2020 and held the park's grand opening earlier this month. It neighbors Gastonia Technology Park between Gastonia and Dallas, and has five remaining sites for industrial projects

• Like 3

^^^ I knew nothing about this but Cabarrus County worked with Stanly county many years ago to supply water to Cabarrus County from Albemarle's plant.   All of Cabarrus county is in the Yadkin basin and it looks like 2/3 of Union County is too. 

http://www.yadkinwater.com/index.html

that is one fancy intake facility on the lake   http://www.yadkinwater.com/intake-facility.html

• Like 1

This was borne out of the Carolina Drought of 1998-2002. See here:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5053/pdf/SIR2005-5053.pdf

and many other online locations. It was the most severe and long lasting drought in NC recorded history. All of the piedmont was seriously affected with numerous municipal suppliers resorting to running hoses from nearby towns, drilling wells, and petitioning to pump from an out-of-basin location. Inter basin transfers are always acrimonious because once the water is withdrawn from one basin it never rejoins the original basin and locations downstream from the original pump location suffer. This forced interaction to avoid the loss of water supply brought us to our current situation where growing communities have some assurance that their supply is safe from drought, an existential fear which was crystallized in that 1998-2002 period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This was borne out of the Carolina Drought of 1998-2002. See here:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2005/5053/pdf/SIR2005-5053.pdf

and many other online locations. It was the most severe and long lasting drought in NC recorded history. All of the piedmont was seriously affected with numerous municipal suppliers resorting to running hoses from nearby towns, drilling wells, and petitioning to pump from an out-of-basin location. Inter basin transfers are always acrimonious because once the water is withdrawn from one basin it never rejoins the original basin and locations downstream from the original pump location suffer. This forced interaction to avoid the loss of water supply brought us to our current situation where growing communities have some assurance that their supply is safe from drought, an existential fear which was crystallized in that 1998-2002 period.

Yes I remember that and that is when Cabarrus county said  No Mas! and did the deal with Albemarle and Tuckertown Lake .  But all of Cabarrus county is in the Pee Dee Yadkin watershed.  the current sewer problems are just that not a water problem for Cabarrus County.  Cabarrus always built a new water reservoir the Dan T Howell lake off Hwy 73.  

• Like 1

"Mystery" company could be in the works for Lincoln County!

Lincoln County passes incentives for mystery manufacturer's $102M, 233-job project

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/12052738/gettyimages-168635061*304xx5616-3744-0-0.jpg
PONYWANG/GETTY IMAGES

The Lincoln County Board of Commissioners approved incentives on June 6 for Project Red Blade, which calls for a $102 million investment and the creation of at least 233 jobs.

The Lincoln County Board of Commissioners approved incentives for Project Red Blade at its meeting last night. According to county documents, the unnamed company behind the project is proposing a $102 million investment in land, construction and machinery for a manufacturing operation there. The project calls for the creation of at least 233 jobs.

County documents state the incentives will be provided in the form of a "Level IV grant under the Lincoln County Industrial Development Incentive Grant Policy for New and Existing Industries." The incentives have a value of nearly $4.4 million, paying out $546,887 per year for eight years, documents state.

The average annual wage for the new jobs would be $51,353, including benefits. It is unclear where exactly Project Red Blade would locate in the county. The incentives item was presented to the board yesterday by John Dancoff, the existing business manager for the Lincoln Economic Development Association. Lincoln County is competing for the project with another location, Dancoff said.

Should Project Red Blade choose Lincoln County, it would represent another big win for the county in the industrial sector. In March, the Charlotte Business Journal reported that Crow Holdings Industrial would be developing a nearly 2 million-square-foot industrial park in the county near N.C. highways 16 and 73.

• Like 4

Concord is the 2nd largest city in the region over 100K residents but downtown Salisbury where I was this morning is the 2nd largest downtown.    Lots of historical buildings, lots of local shops, and restaurants, a brewery and a train station right downtown.   (everything uptown Charlotte desires)  (and the train station is in the Mission style which Charlotte had a great one at one time)  This was a quick 10 block walk.

Lots of photos but I dont get up here often especially to downtown.  But if you are passing by on I-85 pull off on Innes St and head downtown you will like it.  

Charlotte and Salisbury were neck and neck in population pre Civil War.  

So  if you are looking to head out of town for a day head over to downtown Salisbury and poke around.  

this message brought to you by  Visit Rowan County https://www.visitrowancountync.com/

IMG_6324.JPG

IMG_6325.JPG

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6349.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6353.JPG

IMG_6354.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6357.JPG

IMG_6358.JPG

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6367.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6378.JPG

• Like 4

Ketner Market (photo shown) was progenitor of Food Lion and made wealthy people of many of the Salisbury citizens who knew Ralph and trusted him with their money.

If one wishes to visit Salisbury the historic way there is a train to Raleigh that stops there in the morning and a return from Raleigh will bring you home a while later. The station is great and used to have Historic Salisbury office. Do not know if that is still true.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Ketner Market (photo shown) was progenitor of Food Lion and made wealthy people of many of the Salisbury citizens who knew Ralph and trusted him with their money.

If one wishes to visit Salisbury the historic way there is a train to Raleigh that stops there in the morning and a return from Raleigh will bring you home a while later. The station is great and used to have Historic Salisbury office. Do not know if that is still true.

Yes the Historic Salisbury office is still in the train station and you can ride up from Charlotte too. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes the Historic Salisbury office is still in the train station and you can ride up from Charlotte too. 

Further news regarding the Historic Salisbury Station as well as creation of second platform with connecting tunnel.

https://www.salisburypost.com/2022/03/03/city-historic-salisbury-foundation-negotiating-sale-of-salisbury-depot/

https://www.salisburypost.com/2021/03/02/construction-of-additional-platform-underground-tunnel-at-salisbury-station-expected-to-begin-next-year/

• Like 4

New industrial building planned for Huntersville!

Atlanta-based IDI Logistics plans speculative industrial development in Huntersville

Jun 15, 2022, 6:54am EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/12283339/77-north-logistics-center*304xx1520-1013-140-0.jpg
MACGREGOR ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTS

IDI Logistics is developing a speculative industrial project in Huntersville called 77 North Logistics Center. It will be 153,350 square feet and is expected to deliver in the second quarter of 2023.

An Atlanta-based developer is entering the Charlotte market with a new industrial project in northern Mecklenburg County.

IDI Logistics will develop 77 North Logistics Center, a 153,350-square-foot, speculative industrial project, in Huntersville. Vertical construction is expected to start on the project, which is on Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road, in the third quarter. Completion is targeted for the second quarter of 2023.

The building will include 36-foot clear heights, 28 dock-high doors and two drive-in doors, along with 10 trailer parking spaces.

An entity affiliated with IDI Logistics purchased the roughly 12-acre project site for $1.8 million, according to county real estate records. The deed was recorded on Jan. 4.

Avison Young's Henry Lobb and Abby Smith are leading leasing efforts for 77 North Logistics Center. Myers & Chapman is the general contractor, while Macgregor Associates Architects is also part of the project team.

“IDI Logistics is excited to enter the Charlotte market with our 77 North Logistics Center project," IDI Logistics' Nick Faber said. "This (nearly) 154,000-square-foot, class-A industrial building will be located in a business-friendly municipality offering access to highly skilled employees in an established Charlotte submarket.”

Some market observers have referenced a need for smaller and medium-sized industrial product in the Charlotte area, as developers in recent years have trended toward large facilities. IDI Logistics is trying to meet that need with its Huntersville project, Lobb said.

“There is certainly a need for product in the Charlotte market sub-250,000 square feet," Lobb said. "There are extremely limited existing options and the pipeline of deliveries through summer of next year are, in my opinion, fairly light. This project meets the market well from a timing standpoint.”

IDI Logistics' core office is in Atlanta. It has six other offices nationally in locations such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Cincinnati and Memphis, according to its website.

• Like 1