Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

On 6/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, KJHburg said:

Salisbury will be the location of Hallmark Channel filming next week.   Be on the lookout for fake snow and then we will know if it is a Christmas movie.  They loved to film these during the summer.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/06/23/hallmark-movie-be-filmed-salisbury-next-week/

The film is called ‘To Her with Love’ I Believe is what the News just reported.

• Like 2

Rehab project for old mill in Mount Holly

Muddy River Distillery to transform historic Mount Holly mill

Jul 6, 2022, 7:10am EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/10556947/muddy-river-mk026*304xx3393-2268-0-1919.jpg
MELISSA KEY

Muddy River Distillery

Muddy River Distillery co-founder Robbie Delaney never thought he’d be able to quit his day job. Now, his rum distillery — the oldest in the Carolinas — is set to more than triple its footprint with a move to Mount Holly.

Delaney and wife Caroline recently purchased the Mount Holly Cotton Mill for $1.3 million. The mill, built in 1875, is the oldest surviving textile mill in Gaston County. It sits on a roughly 4.5-acre parcel at 250 N. Main St. in Mount Holly.

“We got a piece of North Carolina that is just irreplaceable,” he says. “We’ve got the building the town of Mount Holly was named after.”

The couple began saving with expansion in mind in 2019, after changes in North Carolina’s liquor laws allowed for the sale of unlimited bottles and mixed drinks on site. It took 18 months to lock down a property.

Norris Lamb with Premier South represented Muddy River. Taylor Barnes with The Nichols Co. represented the seller.

“We were a store and an educational experience, and now we’re a whole Saturday,” Delaney says. “We just want to hold on to that customer longer.”

They plan to invest roughly $2 million into the first phase of preserving and transforming the historic, 17,000-square-foot building. A separate, 3,000-square-foot building will be added for barrel-aging storage. The goal is to have the facility fully functional by spring 2024 — though Delaney says it could open in phases. That could mean events and festivals on site as early as this fall, for example.

Expect operations to span three floors. There’s a walk-in basement level where the three production stills — named Liberty, Independence and Democracy — will be located. Those stills can produce about 800 gallons, or 1,200 bottles, per operating day.

“We already have all of the equipment we need as far as manufacturing goes,” Delaney says.

One floor up will be a 5,000-square-foot cocktail bar that overlooks the production space. Two private event spaces on the second and third floors will overlook Dutchman’s Creek.

The 3,000-square-foot barrel house will hold around 800 barrels, aged from a week to 8 years old. That’s more than triple the distillery's current capacity. It will double as a wedding venue as well.

The property has over 700 feet of frontage on Dutchman’s Creek. Plans call for events, festivals, markets and concerts — with capacity of up to 4,000, Delaney says.

"It’s way above expectations. Now, I don’t know what’s next,” he says. “To know that space is now ours and I’ve got the rest of our lives to figure it out is huge.”

The Delaneys founded Muddy River in 2011, launching operations in a 500-square-foot space the couple found on Craigslist. By 2013, they had expanded into a 6,100-square-foot space in Belmont. They were sleeping in a tent and operating the still — Freedom — around the clock to keep up with demand. They could produce 35 bottles of rum a day.

This year, Muddy River is on track to produce 5,000 cases — or 60,000 bottles — of its silver, Queen Charlotte’s Reserve, spiced, coconut, coffee and basil rums. Delaney never thought they would outgrow the Belmont space; his ultimate goal is to become the first choice in rum for people in the Carolinas.

“It’s not just a following. It’s a loyal following that knows we make consistently good product. You couldn’t ask for more," he says.

Plans call for the Belmont location to remain open. It's about 10 minutes from the new Mount Holly site.

“I can’t foresee, with the growth trajectory we have, giving it up,” Delaney says. “This is a good spot for us, too.”

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, CLT2014 said:

Truly not trying to be confrontational, but I'm not sure if UrbanPlanet should be a place to post full copyrighted articles from the Business Journal. They choose to charge a premium subscription for articles like this one in order to fund providing the higher quality articles they produce than non-paywalled news sources such as WSOC-TV. There is a lot of copying and pasting going on now on UP in pretty clear violation of the Copyright Act.... to the point the Business Journal has a lot of valid evidence to pursue a lawsuit against UrbanPlanet for not monitoring. 

A simple summary of the article in one's own words with a link to the source would not violate the Copyright Act, similar to the standards one has in university. It should be a best practice to avoid C+V of articles on this website out of respect of a news source's copyright and the work of their team trying to survive in a tough era for journalism.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disregard. 

Totally agree. There used to be an enforced rule against this on UP and also against just posting a link with no commentary. I see both practices now pretty regularly. 

• Like 1

Town of Cornelius will gain the regions first HomeSense which is TJX owned retailer that is like Homegoods but more furniture.  It seems to be the first store in NC and will go in where the SteinMart was at Torrence Chapel and Catawba Ave exit 28 I-77.   Source Biz Journal building permits.

https://us.homesense.com/

This store will do great in this location. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Come See Me in Rock Hill was a traditional civic festival. Is it still happening?

It does still happen. Rock Hill has a little bit going for it, but for some reason it still lags behind Gastonia/Kannapolis/Concord/Belmont. Don't know if it's leadership problems or what but I don't see why it shouldn't be on the level of those other cities.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

It does still happen. Rock Hill has a little bit going for it, but for some reason it still lags behind Gastonia/Kannapolis/Concord/Belmont. Don't know if it's leadership problems or what but I don't see why it shouldn't be on the level of those other cities.

Because it's the only Charlotte metro area anchor city that is not in North Carolina.  South Carolina has weird effects on Rock Hill's ability to evolve into what has happened in Concord, Gastonia, and Kannapolis.  Right now its activity level is more akin to Salisbury, Huntersville, and Mooresville although its population much larger than either of those jurisdictions.  I believe the shell of the former proposed Panthers HQ campus being developed as a major recreational, events, and mixed use development could help with this evolution to its anchor city peers' activity center level.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

another ring city downtown this time downtown Monroe today.  Love their stock of buildings and this downtown is getting there.  In my opinion in such an affluent county this downtown should be full.  But it is slowly renovating and adding new businesses including the new Americana Beer.  That is downtown's 2nd brewery.  Saw some renovations promising apartments in the upper stories of the buildings which would be great.   anybody know the story on the Sinclair station off Main St downtown?  upon further research I think it is an antique store called a A Hidden Treasure. 

https://americanabeer.com/

IMG_9855.JPG

IMG_9856.JPG

IMG_9858.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

IMG_9861.JPG

IMG_9862.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9864.JPG

IMG_9865.JPG

IMG_9866.JPG

IMG_9867.JPG