Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Came across this article today.  This proposed project has not been mentioned in other local sources so it is definitely news to me.  Let's see if this progresses.

https://www.businesstodaync.com/developer-plans-crystal-lagoon-in-huntersville/

Bizarre. Based on the description, I'm guessing it's this plot of land. Seems like a strange development so close to a huge lake, but beach land on Norman is in pretty limited supply. 

image.thumb.png.23207e1f3247598b95ecc1367ff565fb.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Bizarre. Based on the description, I'm guessing it's this plot of land. Seems like a strange development so close to a huge lake, but beach land on Norman is in pretty limited supply. 

These Crystal Lagoons are very different from the kind of beach and water you'd find on Lake Norman or anywhere around here. Details vary based on the developer, obviously, but these things are meant to be like Caribbean resort-style places. I think if it's built it instantly becomes the go-to place for summer fun in the Charlotte region. There are a lot of ways he could go with this: make a more upscale adults area with a couple bars, make it totally family-friendly with restaurants around it, split it up into different zones with specific places for families and adults... it could all be a pipe dream based on how big this plot of land is, but it could end up being a really exciting thing.

• Like 1

You can't stop the market, but with a profoundly destabilizing affordable housing crisis, it's a bit concerning that a limited supply of development talent and the limited supply of financial resources to fund developments are going toward massive undertakings like recreating a beachfront in interior North Carolina.  I just think that in the grand scheme of things, every effort has an opportunity cost, and this novelty extraordinaire for housing the wealthy does indeed impact us all in some way, to a far greater degree than other accoutrements targeted at the wealthy.

Also, as someone who subscribes to the belief that it's not carbon killing the planet, but fundamentally it's an unsustainably insatiable human appetite that's killing it, you'll please excuse my incredulity in hearing that this crystal lagoon technology is environmentally friendly.

Edited by RANYC

21 hours ago, RANYC said:

You can't stop the market, but with a profoundly destabilizing affordable housing crisis, it's a bit concerning that a limited supply of development talent and the limited supply of financial resources to fund developments are going toward massive undertakings like recreating a beachfront in interior North Carolina.  I just think that in the grand scheme of things, every effort has an opportunity cost, and this novelty extraordinaire for housing the wealthy does indeed impact us all in some way, to a far greater degree than other accoutrements targeted at the wealthy.

Also, as someone who subscribes to the belief that it's not carbon killing the planet, but fundamentally it's an unsustainably insatiable human appetite that's killing it, you'll please excuse my incredulity in hearing that this crystal lagoon technology is environmentally friendly.

Over abundance of carbon is just one result of "insatiable human appetite", and I agree.  Anyway, this is in my neck of the woods. I'm surprised it's going to be approved if it is. You say you can't stop the market, but you can control it some. Davidson did a great job for a while of doing just that.  ...One reason it's so desirable now. Sadly, many of the folks who used to control Davidson so well are either dead or have been replaced by outsiders. I believe this area in question used to be in the Davidson ETJ

There are multiple Crystal Lagoons in Texas metro areas but mainly in huge master planned communities with 1000s of homes.  This seems to a small site for such a project and these are not cheap to build or maintain.   They are a popular amenity in several Houston communities.

https://balmoralhouston.com/

from the above website under Lagoon Life

Are there many chemicals in the crystal clear lagoon?
Crystal Lagoons’ patented solution is to apply controlled pulses of very small quantities of oxidants/micro-biocides to the water in the lagoon, according to the growth cycles of algae and bacteria, in very specific patterns based on algorithms. In so doing, it is not necessary to maintain a high and permanent level of disinfection the way a conventional swimming pool does. The results of this efficient system are that it enables up to 100 times less additives (source: Crystal Lagoons US Corp) to be used than are used in conventional swimming pool and drinking water treatment technologies, all of which reduces excessive expense on chemicals and further environmental damage. The application of additives is coordinated by strategically located injectors and sensors. This operation is managed by the Crystal Lagoons Control Center online in real time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

downtown Kannapolis in my pre-dinner walk.  The new 7 story Stadium Lofts is up to to its expected height.  New wine bar opening in the Vida apartments retail space across from the Armory Brewery.   Lots of new TriPointe townhomes have been built and sold in downtown.  Today happy Thanksgiving.  New food trailer at the brewery's side patio too.  

DT Kannapolis has renovated 2 theaters in the time that Charlotte has not finished the Carolina Theater just saying.  They renovated the Gem which plays movies and now opened the Swanee which is a live music theater.  

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

IMG_6423.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6427.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG

IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6430.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

Thanks for the postings.  Looks like the new wine bar will be located in the newer retail sections of the VIDA apartment complex.  I believe there about 4-6 sites for street level retail in the building.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Thanks for the postings.  Looks like the new wine bar will be located in the newer retail sections of the VIDA apartment complex.  I believe there about 4-6 sites for street level retail in the building.

Yes this is the first retail space to be taken hopefully the others will be leased soon.  They need a few more food options in downtown K town. 

• Like 3

Looks like several proposed residential developments were either shot down or decisions postponed by the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners and Lincoln Planning Board.  However, the county could be looking at expansion of government offices with a option on potential property purchase.

https://www.lincolntimesnews.com/news/rezoning-amendments-to-allow-several-large-developments-not-passed-by-commissioners/article_e13e4daa-6cb9-11ed-b8cc-c7a8902df30c.html

On 11/24/2022 at 5:19 PM, KJHburg said:

downtown Kannapolis in my pre-dinner walk.  The new 7 story Stadium Lofts is up to to its expected height.  New wine bar opening in the Vida apartments retail space across from the Armory Brewery.   Lots of new TriPointe townhomes have been built and sold in downtown.  Today happy Thanksgiving.  New food trailer at the brewery's side patio too.  

DT Kannapolis has renovated 2 theaters in the time that Charlotte has not finished the Carolina Theater just saying.  They renovated the Gem which plays movies and now opened the Swanee which is a live music theater.  

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

The townhomes are a good addition but I wonder why the city didn't push to keep the streets as a traditional grid instead of what has become a mishmash of deadends. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicholas said:

The townhomes are a good addition but I wonder why the city didn't push to keep the streets as a traditional grid instead of what has become a mishmash of deadends. 

actually this site was a mill site and this whole area where these townhomes are going was a large building.  They knocked it down the city bought and they sold it to the builder.  In fact they are restoring connecting streets in this area just not a grid as there was not one before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

actually this site was a mill site and this whole area where these townhomes are going was a large building.  They knocked it down the city bought and they sold it to the builder.  In fact they are restoring connecting streets in this area just not a grid as there was not one before. 

I realize that but I still think they should have at least kept West Ave continuous.  This is how it looks on a map

kannapolis.thumb.jpg.e2298c988cd30b959b3b80fdde3856cc.jpg

and ideally at the bare minimum should have been closer to this

kannapolis2.thumb.jpg.587397e506b8a7424ad298bc86679cee.jpg

• Like 2