Charlotte area "ring cities"

krazeeboi

New housing development in Harrisburg....but at least inside the city limits and will only increase density and walkability between existing developments.

http://www.independenttribune.com/townnews/highway/harrisburg-approves-more-than-home-development/article_3baf8e22-79d5-11e6-b903-4bdaadcf82e1.html

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

Waxhaw is a nice little hidden gem. Too far away for me to ever consider living there though. I had to make a sales visit to a home in Waxhaw last week at 7pm. It took me almost an hour and a half from Uptown to get there with traffic. I guess it's fine if you work in Ballantyne or Fort Mill, but I wouldn't want to make the drive to Uptown or SouthPark every day.

Is Badin too far east to be considered a "Ring City"?   Went there on Saturday to attend the 100th anniversary of their fire dept..  Quite a lot of history in this small burg and they're in the process of trying to boost their ecotoursim by tapping into federal & state funds to build a bike/ped bridge between Badin and the Uwharrie National Forest that would also serve as a backdoor emergency access link to the park.  Photos are of the Narrows Dam and the Narrows, a 3 mile jewel between the Narrows Dam and Falls Dam for calm water kayaking.

Narrows.JPG

Narrows Dam - B&W.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Is this a brand new brewery?   That's an amazing space and I'm sure it was not cheap.   

It's crazy that Charlotte seems to be skipping the nano brewery stage.  

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

26 Acres' space is incredible inside, but is definitely not in the trend of breweries going into at least semi-urban areas. But being in an old business park gives ample room for small-town drivers to come in droves. I hope they do well.

Red Hill's space is in a really amazing location. Downtown Concord is one of the most beautiful IMO in the region, small though it is.

• Like 1

Twenty Six acres is located across from the Concord Airport.  While in a suburban business park it is within 1 mile of major employers like Rousch Racing, Amazon, S&D Coffee, NASCAR R&D etc so the after work population is very good. Plus it right by Concord Mills mall and neighborhoods of Highland Creek and Skybrook and many more.  Yes downtown Concord is a great spot and affordable for startup businesses. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heritage Towers in Fort Mill has a "Coming Soon" sign for an Adult Community.  I called the 800 number but it's just a menu for making a reservation at the adjoining Lodge or a donation to the ministry.

New town homes are being built around the property.  The tower is just such an eyesore for the community however.  Maybe they'll find a use for it one day?  Still can't believe the Bakkers built this monstrosity...

HT1.jpg

HT2.jpg

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Morganton is a little further out from the normal Charlotte ring cities but it is really a nice town. Lots of shopping downtown, a Catawba Brewing location the original coming soon to Charlotte. It has the vibe downtown a mini Asheville all independent shops and restaurants. Couple of photos I took today. Lake James State Park is nearby with trails, mountain biking, beaches, boat ramps etc. Only 1.5 hours from the QC  The tallest building downtown is 3 stories which keeps the scale pedestrian friendly. 

DSCN8004.JPG

DSCN8007.JPG

DSCN8008.JPG

DSCN8009.JPG

DSCN8014.JPG

• Like 3

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Okay Morganton is a little further out from the normal Charlotte ring cities but it is really a nice town. Lots of shopping downtown, a Catawba Brewing location the original coming soon to Charlotte. It has the vibe downtown a mini Asheville all independent shops and restaurants. Couple of photos I took today. Lake James State Park is nearby with trails, mountain biking, beaches, boat ramps etc. Only 1.5 hours from the QC  The tallest building downtown is 3 stories which keeps the scale pedestrian friendly. 

DSCN8004.JPG

DSCN8007.JPG

DSCN8008.JPG

DSCN8009.JPG

DSCN8014.JPG

That's where I grew up. Parents are still there. Glad you liked it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jednc said:

That's where I grew up. Parents are still there. Glad you liked it.

Not very familiar with 2nd or 3rd ring cities/towns of Charlotte but what i have seen on UP shows me there are multiple gems out there.  Each with amazing small town charm that Movies try to replicate.   So very excited to see how these towns transform over the next 5 to 10 years.  

• Like 3

All small-medium sized towns in NC are going under what I'd consider a renaissance of sorts. Their downtowns are getting a lot of new businesses and their downtown areas/main streets to actually have foot traffic among the new hair salons, local lawyers offices, pet stores, restaurants, etc. In my short lifetime I've seen these main streets go from being a quarter occupied at best to most being at least 50% occupied. The difference is amazing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nick2 said:

All small-medium sized towns in NC are going under what I'd consider a renaissance of sorts. Their downtowns are getting a lot of new businesses and their downtown areas/main streets to actually have foot traffic among the new hair salons, local lawyers offices, pet stores, restaurants, etc. In my short lifetime I've seen these main streets go from being a quarter occupied at best to most being at least 50% occupied. The difference is amazing.

It's pretty wild.

As a kid in Matthews, there was AAA Collectables (which was pretty much pointless if you didn't like Sports trading cards, specifically), the library (a miserable brutalist shack of a building) and KFC; Kristopher's sports bar if one was an adult. 

Now I can stuff my gullet on NON-fried food and wash it down with CRAFT beer, and follow it up by playing some WARHAMMER 40K or Magic the Gathering at the Your Local Game Store (what me and the neighbor kids always wished AAA could be). 

On 7/25/2016 at 0:01 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Oh, turns out the old building that houses Mojo Bicycles will be another tap room as well, all owned by the Carolina Beer Temple guy:

Temple Mojo 3.jpg

Temple Mojo is now open. We stopped by yesterday evening and the place looks great. 25-ish drafts and all but one was a NC brewery. Cool bike theme on the inside pay homage to the previous tenant. The space has some high tops, some 4 person tables, and a large community table along with lots of seats at the bar.  It was about 90% full around 5:30 yesterday even though they are still in soft open mode. 

Not a ring city of Charlotte but Wilmington has a lot going on. Only 3 hour drive from Charlotte. Notice the scale of their retail downtown and reuse of older buildings. It  is really great. Very vibrant new riverside apartment complex is finishing up and new riverside Embassy Suites hotel going up too. Check out my photos from last week 

• Like 3