Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man the pilot gets on my nerves sometimes. There is an article up now but they don't go into nearly enough depth as to the new components of phase IV, and no rendering (at least online). Also, this title says it all: Proposal ask taxpayers to foot more on town center

I mean seriously, that's all? That's all you came away with from the entire presentation? They said nothing about the successes of TC that were presented to council. Nothing about Cosmo being fully leased. Nothing about the Westin needing more space. Nope, no one trying to push an agenda here. <_< My only consolation is that the entire meeting, including the formal session, should be up online within a few days.

good to hear the city will be getting two new towers to their downtown. The question is, how long before the city starts charging for parking? Have they metered the street parking yet?

make that three new towers if they build what they are saying they will build. plus the possibility of a new apartment building. After that they should just about be out of room.

not really digging it, the details of it could be good if the materials that are used are high quality. It will definitely add a level of density. Would need to see more than just this one angle shot to really judge it because the garage looks alittle weird.

They showed a couple of different angles in the presentation. When it comes online I'll post them.

Kerry Doughtery or however you spell her name is officially against this project, per her 'blog' on the VP website :lol:

I understand the premise but small money to generate large money kind of makes it a good idea for VB to me at least

I can understand the grip someone could have with this. When this project started, there was an understanding that the developer would begin asking for less money as the development went on and matured. Unfortunately that isnt the case with the way construction costs and economic issues have gone. The plus side for the city is that they in turn basically own all the parking at the town center, so when comes time to start charging, the city should be making all the money. I am guessing that day will come when the Pembroke Mall redevelops.

not really digging it, the details of it could be good if the materials that are used are high quality. It will definitely add a level of density. Would need to see more than just this one angle shot to really judge it because the garage looks alittle weird.

I saw the City Council 11/18/08 formal session.

The rear white section of the building is not garage. That is the Aloft portion. The 15 story section in the rendering here is the Luxury Apartment portion. The way it was presented by Wawner (city project manager), to me, it sounded like the owners of the Cosmo would own the this apartment. They mention how the cosmo is 95% leased, great success, yada yada, and that there's more room for growth in the market for this new tower.

There were two other renderings besides the one we see here. One showed the "Aloft view" as if you were looking from Guadalajara's. It was white and could be the trendy side. The other rendering showed a view from the Fountain Plaza and the building is actually a horseshoe. From the plaza, the apartement is an "L" from the left wrapping to the front of Constitution and the Alof is shorter and on the right with a skywalk connecting to conference rooms in the Westin. Between the Apartment side and the Aloft is a "Green" roof" (maybe litterally and figuratively) deck/veranda/patio/plaza type thing that is only a few stories high.

...and that's was I found out from the session.

The end. :)

well that just changes everything, how can one say much about this one rendering, I would love to see the rest of the images, it sounds like a very impressive block. Good to see it will look like two distinct buildings on this block as well. Now I am really curious what the actual Aloft looks like.

Just go to the vbgov website and watch the video. It's in the presentation. :)

What about the men?...Where is our large department store?...Abercrombie and Fitch?..American Eagle?...Hollister.. They need more retail type of shops...brand stores...

Give it time, they will come. They always follow the women stores, just at a slower pace and far less of them will appear. Men tend to be the tricky shoppers to work with.

Guessing from this pace of stores that wish to open up at the town center rather than the Pembroke Mall. I see redevelopment after the markets rebound for that area. That, and by that point, the town center will be about full with development and will be looking to expand and from the looks of it, to the north is the route of least resistance. My guess is that a new urban shopping mall will be constructed at the corner of VB Blvd and Indy and the rest of the mall's land would be blocked off for added developments such as commercial and residential with a park or two happening somewhere within it. I have a feeling we will be hearing this and start seeing ideas being proposed in about 5 years from now.

yeah I took would like some national brand name clothing stores at TC as well but during these economic hard times, I dunno, I don't see retailers screaming to open anywhere really. Some may even spell their demise by offering huge discounts during the holidays.

I would love to see the Pembroke Mall redevelop into something similar to Short Pump in Richmond. A walkable outdoor mall with higher end shops and restaurants. If they would add parking garages to the site as well, then there is an opportunity to add much more density than the current site. Right now the back of the mall is just a sea of empty parking spaces.

Archived