Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

So... this may have already been discussed, but when I went to the Divaris Homepage there was a familiar picture of "THE FUTURE OF TOWN CENTER" with the Gateway Tower and all that. Well, the building behind the Cosmopolitan, could this be our Urban Market Tower? That looks to be maybe around 30 storys. Could it have been in the works all this time, right under our noses?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... this may have already been discussed, but when I went to the Divaris Homepage there was a familiar picture of "THE FUTURE OF TOWN CENTER" with the Gateway Tower and all that. Well, the building behind the Cosmopolitan, could this be our Urban Market Tower? That looks to be maybe around 30 storys. Could it have been in the works all this time, right under our noses?

That building has been planned for years and is on the block that Harry was referring to. We've always known that some tower was going there but the diffence is in the details. As originally planned it was supposed to be 20 something stories and it was to be built as part of the final phase (i.e. after phase IV). Harry is claiming that it is going to be built as part of this phase and that it will be 30-stories. The location of the tower however was never in doubt. Here's a link to the original discussion on that. Block 11 tower.

Towertwobig.jpg

Anyways, I really do hope that the urban mrkt tower get added to phase IV, along with Light Rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish I knew a lot more specifics about what the developers are being told. I mean what level of confidence to they really have?

The tower will be built regardless of light rail. It was planned before light rail was even a possibility. I think having it built this phase however may be a stretch. That is a lot for a single local developer to take on. It will be built though. :thumbsup:

Here is what urbanvb found out back in 2007:

I inquired as to the location of the new tower from and I was quite surprised. I will paste the response here:

The new tower will be built where the Beacon Building is situated (holy cow Batman! :yahoo: )

Construction can only begin once the Beacon has moved which will be

early next year. We expect construction to be underway by mid 2008.

We will also build a high rise office with retail in the large parking

lot (corner Constitution/Columbus). That will follow the beacon Bldg.

In the meantime we will build a 6 storey building, Two Columbus Center,

in the One Columbus Center parking lot, across from Barnes and Noble.

We should start construction of that building later this year.

So I guess the Pilot lot will be 20 storeys. I wonder how tall the building on this lot will be? The lot below is actually larger than the AH tower lot so it's footprint is going to be pretty big.

DSC01512.jpg

Now, can we please get back to Aloft? :lol:

But see. The 15 story Apartments were never planned. and they squeezed that project in with Phase IV. Gatway Bank Tower.. It was supposed to be a boutique hotel...and Only a international Boutique hotel. And they end up squeezing apartments with the Hotel..which is two different mixes..hotel and apartments.. Look at the rendering..the buildings are both spaced out..but connected together to form one big mixed use development..but again they squeezed the apartments in with the aloft hotel idea...

But see. The 15 story Apartments were never planned. and they squeezed that project in with Phase IV. Gatway Bank Tower.. It was supposed to be a boutique hotel...and Only a international Boutique hotel. And they end up squeezing apartments with the Hotel..which is two different mixes..hotel and apartments.. Look at the rendering..the buildings are both spaced out..but connected together to form one big mixed use development..but again they squeezed the apartments in with the aloft hotel idea...

OOOoohhh, that makes a lot of sense. So if they add the urban market tower to phase IV will they have to call for an amendment to city council's decision to approve phase IV? Would you expect for the city to put forth more money for capital inprovements?

I hope that they do start to scale back the parking garages attached to these towers...parking will be a huge tool to redirect people onto the light rail. Free ample parking is great for town center now. But soon, town center will want people to arrive via light rail. This will make construction parcels more valuable for the mere reality they will not have to build the parking. So in a sense they will have nearly twice the space than before, since they won't have to build the extensive parking.

OOOoohhh, that makes a lot of sense. So if they add the urban market tower to phase IV will they have to call for an amendment to city council's decision to approve phase IV? Would you expect for the city to put forth more money for capital inprovements?

I hope that they do start to scale back the parking garages attached to these towers...parking will be a huge tool to redirect people onto the light rail. Free ample parking is great for town center now. But soon, town center will want people to arrive via light rail. This will make construction parcels more valuable for the mere reality they will not have to build the parking. So in a sense they will have nearly twice the space than before, since they won't have to build the extensive parking.

Yes and maybe. Any change to phase IV will have to go up for approval, I'm not sure if they want to throw any more public money at this though seeing as they just choked down an increased slice of that pie for the block 2 amendments. As for parking, I think it's good. When light rail is fully complete that area can be used as a park n ride for people wanting to go to the oceanfront. Should also help the Westin's business as well. This is one of those few cases where parking will actually help light rail.

E- Mail From Va Beach..

"Town Center Associates is actively seeking financing for Phase 4 of Town Center. Which is a difficult task in todays market. Hopefully, we will break ground on the Hotel/Apartment Tower (located between the Westin and the Cosompolitan) by the end of 2009. The office tower (located on the Beacon Building site) is less certain, with best case end on 2009, first quarter of 2010."

E- Mail From Va Beach..

"Town Center Associates is actively seeking financing for Phase 4 of Town Center. Which is a difficult task in todays market. Hopefully, we will break ground on the Hotel/Apartment Tower (located between the Westin and the Cosompolitan) by the end of 2009. The office tower (located on the Beacon Building site) is less certain, with best case end on 2009, first quarter of 2010."

Well that sucks. Looks like it's going to be another boring year. :(

E- Mail From Va Beach..

Ok, I'm not an economist or a investor. But town center looks to be like a pretty safe investment. Virginia Beach is the 4th highest median income city in the nation! Several anchors are already on board, and the Westin wishes to try out its Aloft concept in VB....

Ok, I'm not an economist or a investor. But town center looks to be like a pretty safe investment. Virginia Beach is the 4th highest median income city in the nation! Several anchors are already on board, and the Westin wishes to try out its Aloft concept in VB....

it is a pretty safe investment because the area isnt overbuilt. Now if the mall wanted to redevelop and has tons of things going on, then this would be much different. But I am guessing that even with this being a safe investment, it doesnt hurt to slow it down a bit so that the office space can be absorbed on an upswing.

Looks like the Westin Aloft Residences on block 9 is starting contruction in a month.. and block 11.. Cosmopolitan lot. the plans are being revealed for that block this week. Urban Market Tower with a apple computer store, Armani Exchange, Gucci, Versaci. and dolce gabana. Looks like Va Beach has gotten its name out there.. Abecrombie and fitch is coming back to va beach as well.. But opening a store at town center. nomore lynnhaven mall

you said that plans where going to be announced this week.. last week..

what happened man..

you said that plans where going to be announced this week.. last week..

what happened man..

Act surprised? Additionally as the city's not starting construction on aLoft until the fourth quarter of 2009, while the same statement of name-dropping claimed aLoft would start construction this month. It's not really surprising that we haven't heard anything yet, like i said, it's pefectly alright to be skeptical folks

Act surprised? Additionally as the city's not starting construction on aLoft until the fourth quarter of 2009, while the same statement of name-dropping claimed aLoft would start construction this month. It's not really surprising that we haven't heard anything yet, like i said, it's pefectly alright to be skeptical folks

haha yeah honestly i don't believe a bit of that urban market tower nonsense....

because when i emailed virginia beach i asked them about westin aloft, gateway, and urban market tower and they didn't say anything back about urban market tower..

i guess i was gullible at first to believe it all..

You need to realize they will not release any information that has not been brought to the medias attention..lol Unless there is a inside source.. They will not give you any information about the Urban Market Tower..

well that reassures me that all of your information is factual..

thanks

I just want to know, what's the expected time table for the urban market tower? Or, better yet...what stage of development is the project in?

The project iis now in phase IV. The block 11 tower, whatever it's called, is not supposed to start until the fifth and final stage.

Great News. They cleared out the block 9 lot for ALoft Hotel/Apartments. They have it all fenced off with contruction crews breaking ground. The Virginian Pilot Sign is up on the Westin..Vertically..Independence and columbus. And there is moving trucks for the Virginian Pilot moving equipment into the building..facing indepedence. There is also a East Coast Demo company outside the virginian pilot lot.. They are obviously getting ready to break ground on the Block 2 tower as well..

Great News. They cleared out the block 9 lot for ALoft Hotel/Apartments. They have it all fenced off with contruction crews breaking ground. The Virginian Pilot Sign is up on the Westin..Vertically..Independence and columbus. And there is moving trucks for the Virginian Pilot moving equipment into the building..facing indepedence. There is also a East Coast Demo company outside the virginian pilot lot.. They are obviously getting ready to break ground on the Block 2 tower as well..

Block 9 has been fenced off..

If they are breaking ground why would the city tell me best case scenario 4th quarter '09.. 1st quarter '10

Block 9 has been fenced off..

If they are breaking ground why would the city tell me best case scenario 4th quarter '09.. 1st quarter '10

I think I posted info a couple of pages back about this part. They are closing down the lot for preliminary site work but construction has not started yet. I'll find the post and link to it.

This project is moving forward. New rendering on page 8 that I think you guys will like. :shades:

Yep. Just look on the first page of the .pdf

ScreenShot003.jpg

This seems to be the only exciting thing going on in the city right now. I really hope this breaks ground soon.

So I'm guessing that Westin is looking for financing right now?

might to refer to it as aLoft, might prevent some confusion

Grabbed this image from the youTube video about LR posted in HR thread

aloft.jpg

Different angled rendering

Actually, it's a different (and older) rendering altogether. The roof is even different. The rendering in the .pdf is the one that has been submitted to the planning commission so that's the one that we're working with "right now" barring any subsequent changes.

Archived