Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they broke ground last week. They are doing mild stuff right now on block 9. But they finally broke ground on the 15 story Tower on Block 9. I will take pictures and upload them up here soon. Looks like the Virginian Pilot will be in its new home at the westin too. in the end of April. Looks like things are taking off. My guess is they will start tearing down the Old Virginian Pilot building and start on the new tower in May.

Looks like they broke ground last week. They are doing mild stuff right now on block 9. But they finally broke ground on the 15 story Tower on Block 9. I will take pictures and upload them up here soon. Looks like the Virginian Pilot will be in its new home at the westin too. in the end of April. Looks like things are taking off. My guess is they will start tearing down the Old Virginian Pilot building and start on the new tower in May.

man as much as i'd love to believe this it seems kinda odd that the city of virginia beach sent me an email stating the 15 story tower will break ground in the 4th quarter and gateway would start best case 4th quarter 2009 1st quarter 2010? hopefully its true though

Go check it out yourself.. I been down there twice already. They are moving dirt and getting ready to demolish the small house..

Wouldn't it be cool if they decided to keep the house and just build around/on top of it anyways. Like if they remodeled the house and it kept it where it is...right in the new lobby of the Aloft is a old house. It would be completely juxtaposed, but what makes it awesome would be the story. It would especially be interesting 50 years from now when the house is nearly 100 years old, and remains the first original town center building, a testament to the rural nature that was once Princess Anne county. I think this is the best idea ever!!!!!!!

man as much as i'd love to believe this it seems kinda odd that the city of virginia beach sent me an email stating the 15 story tower will break ground in the 4th quarter and gateway would start best case 4th quarter 2009 1st quarter 2010? hopefully its true though

Correct me if I'm wrong, but moving dirt around, demolishing current buildings, and doing site work is not typically considered 'construction' per say... the 'groundbreaking' should signify the end of the house, the land being cleared, and site work being done and finally the building starting to go up (ie: foundation poured, etc)...

So it probably won't 'break ground' officially until later in the year, yeah...

They have new wooden fencing and a trailer up for contruction

I'll have to go by and check this later Harry but I'm fairly sure the only work that's going on now is the minor street work alluded to in the pdf I posted a few pages back. If i'm wrong however I will gladly eat crow, uncooked and unseasoned. :unsure:

Well I walked down there again today.. Went to McCormick and Shmicks for dinner.. The fencing is new with fresh wood. U can tell because they havent gotten all the fencing up yet.. and there is a new trailer on commerce street. And they finally have the fancy Virginian Pilot lettering up.. The Virginian Pilot. Pilot online beneath it. 3 signs actually.. one going vertically down the side..corner of columbus and Independence blvd.. Than on commerce and one facing virginian pilot. Dont doubt me unless you look for yourself.. Its obvious there is activity going on. I talked to a contruction worker earlier.. They are getting ready to break ground in April on the 15 story Tower..

There is also plans for more Lofts behind the Sandler Center.. where all the trees are planted.. Lofts with retail below. Even talks of a Movie Theatre facing independence blvd with a Marquis..

Well I walked down there again today.. Went to McCormick and Shmicks for dinner.. The fencing is new with fresh wood. U can tell because they havent gotten all the fencing up yet.. and there is a new trailer on commerce street. And they finally have the fancy Virginian Pilot lettering up.. The Virginian Pilot. Pilot online beneath it. 3 signs actually.. one going vertically down the side..corner of columbus and Independence blvd.. Than on commerce and one facing virginian pilot. Dont doubt me unless you look for yourself.. Its obvious there is activity going on. I talked to a contruction worker earlier.. They are getting ready to break ground in April on the 15 story Tower..

There is also plans for more Lofts behind the Sandler Center.. where all the trees are planted.. Lofts with retail below. Even talks of a Movie Theatre facing independence blvd with a Marquis..

Come on man! You JUST Said "looks like they broke ground last week"! And now your saying in April! Please get it straight!

Can you be more specific on the movie theatre...like where specifically. You say facing Independence, so that leads me to believe either the taco bell lot (unlikely) or the circuit city lot (also unlikely). so where else could it go that I'm not thinkin of....unless you mean on the other side of the street?

Can you be more specific on the movie theatre...like where specifically. You say facing Independence, so that leads me to believe either the taco bell lot (unlikely) or the circuit city lot (also unlikely). so where else could it go that I'm not thinkin of....unless you mean on the other side of the street?

ummm, you really need to read a comment fully before making a comment like this.

The site is 90ft by 230ft which would be doable to have an urban theater in that location....though to me it doesnt seem to be the best location for a theater, but that is besides the point, it can definitely fit there is the point.

I think it would be a safe bet to say it is this site that would house the movie theater, which if that is the case, we could be looking for a ten story or so tall skinny building on this lot...plus a theater would give it much added height.

Is it me or is it going to be such a funny view of the town center when it is all built out with the taco bell in the foreground....I am sure it will get built on eventually, but I have a feeling the owner has quite a steep asking price that might be hard to do when there is so much property around the town center that could be redeveloped.

Oh and I am gonna miss that little brick house, it has seen that area change so much...it a lame way, it is sort of the old architecture of the town center...in that laugh about kind of way.

This is bordering on the edge of ridiculous...

A month ago the movie theater was going to be a grand gateway area with Armani Versace Dulce Apple Microsoft Samsung and Jesus. Now it's 'talks' from a 'construction worker' of going on Independence with a marquee...and next month Granby Tower will announce it's plans to build on top of Schlotzkys, and the month after that IBM will relocate their headquarters from New York to Town Center in a new 55 story office building to be built where the AllTel building is.

Hearsay and rumors are great... when backed up by facts. Passing along what some guy said with nothing behind it is worthless. The 'Urban Gateway Tower' or market or whatever the Holy Grail was called was being announced in one week...a month ago, and ground broken...this week. I appreciate having rumors passed on, it gets people marginally in the loop, but let's be real. Take them with a grain of salt, and say as much. I talked to a guy, who said blah blah blah, take it for what it's worth. Let's not act like it's a done deal because a 'construction worker' said so. Yeesh.

ummm, you really need to read a comment fully before making a comment like this.

I don't really know what you're referring to. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, I was just trying to figure out where the movie theatre would go, if such a movie theatre is in fact coming.

Spiker3 you couldn't have said it better.

The only thing im looking forward to is Westin Aloft to start construction in the 3rd of 4th quarter (not last week like somebody mentioned) and Gateway to start construction by March of next year. Movie theaters and Urban Market Towers with versace dolce cabana gucci and microsoft headquarters, ect. I won't believe till i see it. The only retailer i have heard from the city is Anthropologie. I'm pretty sure if all of these international high end retailers had solidified a contract with town center it would be the talk of the town. Not the word of one person who supposedly has the ear of Armada Hoffler or something.! :dontknow:

As of the last planning commission meeting the conditional use permit for this project was deferred indefinitely so the developer can redesign the project. This is not breaking ground in April. The only thing that was approved recently was the closure of a portion of Market street to get the land ready for construction and the transferal of air rights.

Item #18

Town Center Associates, L.L.C.

Discontinuance, closure and abandonment of a portion of

Market Street

Northeast corner of the intersection of Market Street and Columbus Street

District 5

Lynnhaven

February 11, 2009

CONSENT

Joseph Strange: The next item is item 18, an application of Town Center Associates, L.L.C.

for a discontinuance, closure, and abandonment of a portion of Market Street located at the

northeast corner of the intersection of Market Street and Columbus Street, District 5,

Lynnhaven with six (6) conditions.

Mike Nuchols: Good afternoon for the record, Mike Nuchols representing the applicant.

The applicant is in agreement with all the conditions.

Joseph Strange: Thank you very much. Is there any opposition to this matter being placed on

the consent agenda? If not, the Chairman has asked Ron Ripley to review this item.

Ronald Ripley: Thank you Joe. This is really a housekeeping matter too. It’s a

discontinuance, closure, and abandonment of a little small portion, actually the northeast

corner of Market Street and Columbus Street at the Town Center. It really kind of squares

the block off for this next development that Armada Hoffler will be developing, which is a

208-unit apartment building, a hotel, and some retail component. It does include adjacent air

space, which is, in the case of zero lot line developments like this, where you build right up

to the right-of-way. Sometimes you might impede the right-of-way with your foundations or

your beams and this basically it avoids those conflicts. There is method worked out for the

City. So, it was very minor matter, and we felt that it ought to go on consent.

Joseph Strange: Thank you Ron. Madame Chairman, I make a motion to approve item 18.

Janice Anderson: We have a motion by Joe Strange and a second by Gene Crabtree. Mr.

Redmond?

David Redmond: Madame Chairman, I will be abstaining on item 18, as I have a business

conflict.

Janice Anderson: Thank you.

Item #19

Town Center Associates, L.L.C.

Conditional Use Permit

North side of Columbus Street

District 5

Lynnhaven

February 11, 2009

DEFERRED

Janice Anderson: Is there anyone else that has a matter to be withdrawn or deferred?

Welcome Mr. Nuchols.

Mike Nuchols: Good afternoon. It is Item 19. I think it may have been done

administratively or maybe not. We’re going to defer that one indefinitely. That is our

request anyway. The plans are being revised and redrawn for the building. That is the

reason behind it. We don’t have all the details yet to be able to present.

Janice Anderson: Thank you very much. Does anyone have any objection to agenda item 19

being deferred?

Joseph Strange: Madame Chair, I make a motion to approve deferring item 19.

Janice Anderson: A motion by Joe Strange and a second by Kathy Katsias.

Where are you HarryVB? :rolleyes:

Westin Aloft is still on track to break ground this month right?! :unsure:

*edit

Oh and guys do you still believe that Versaci, Dolce Cabana, Armani, Ect..?

I believe it, I remember hearing about anthropologie long before it was ever annonced. I think these Town center/Armada Hofler guys are in communication with all the mentioned executives. Whether everything will come to fruition is always uncertain.

Plus, where else would these guys show up if it wasn't town center. I think Phase IV will bring a lot of surprises out, hopefully good ones!

if this town center continues and spreads to the Pembroke Mall and redevelops that land into urban blocks, I could definitely see the town center turning into something like the Pearl District we have in Portland...that might not mean anything to you guys, but when I walk through that district, I can see alot of the same qualities that would be attractive to Virginia Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived