Westin Aloft and residences

vdogg

Virginia Beach has the oceanfront, mini town center, Sandler Center, aquarium, sportsplex, amphitheater, a larger and more profitable mall (Lynnhaven) than McArthur, and the majority of the population.

Norfolk has scope, Chrysler hall, Chrysler museum, Granby St. which is VERY limited, McArthur Mall, Ghent, and a small but developing downtown, the Tides, and the Tide.

Portsmouth has the old town portsmouth (about the size of TC), childrens museum and the highest crime rate. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in Portsmouth over any of the former.

Downtown Norfolk may be the urban core because of history and actual building placement, but when it comes to amenities like cultural centers and retail shopping, Va Beach holds its ground with Norfolk, and Portsmouth has nothing on either.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, about that rendering... haha

I like it, to some extent. I think the building will add a good level of density to the area, and from what I have seen the hotel side looks great. As for the apartment side, I am not a fan of the rather bland building over the street level and depending on how that fancy top is done, it could look good or horrible...

As for the apartments being leased or not, yes they will be expensive, but have you tried finding anything in Virginia Beach without living in Green Run or in the southern part of the city? Everything is expensive unless you live in those areas. In fact, the Cosmopolitan was CHEAPER than some other places I looked at AND nicer... Figure that one out...

Virginia Beach has the oceanfront, mini town center, Sandler Center, aquarium, sportsplex, amphitheater, a larger and more profitable mall (Lynnhaven) than McArthur, and the majority of the population.

Norfolk has scope, Chrysler hall, Chrysler museum, Granby St. which is VERY limited, McArthur Mall, Ghent, and a small but developing downtown, the Tides, and the Tide.

Portsmouth has the old town portsmouth (about the size of TC), childrens museum and the highest crime rate. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be in Portsmouth over any of the former.

Downtown Norfolk may be the urban core because of history and actual building placement, but when it comes to amenities like cultural centers and retail shopping, Va Beach holds its ground with Norfolk, and Portsmouth has nothing on either.

We can discuss this without turning it in to a city vs. city thing. The only thing I am getting at is the need for density in all our cities. There is precedent for such a thing, take the 5 boroughs of New York for example. Brooklyn has a downtown, as does the Bronx, most people don't know this because Manhattan is still the central core. Developing urban centers for these communities in no way detracted from the central urban hub. If the cities in HR can learn to work together half as well as the boroughs of New York then I think we'd be in a much better place. With that said though, lets all get back to topic. I'll probably move these comments to the off-topic thread when I get back home.

I really like the rendering.. Looks like they spruced it up abit.. But I dont like the fact the apartments are facing the park and its away from all the activity going up near the plaza. the apartments need to be facing the plaza/main street...it needs to be turned around and facing the main area..and the green roof area could face the park and columbus.. just seems like the apartments are being pushed away from the main area...

I really like the rendering.. Looks like they spruced it up abit.. But I dont like the fact the apartments are facing the park and its away from all the activity going up near the plaza. the apartments need to be facing the plaza/main street...it needs to be turned around and facing the main area..and the green roof area could face the park and columbus.. just seems like the apartments are being pushed away from the main area...

Usually you want the living spaces pushed away from the activity, though the roof top open space would make more sense if it were facing the direction of the sun...it seems to be that it will be spending a bit too much time in the shade, which could turn out to be a bad thing for it being used.

Looks like the Westin Aloft Residences on block 9 is starting contruction in a month.. and block 11.. Cosmopolitan lot. the plans are being revealed for that block this week. Urban Market Tower with a apple computer store, Armani Exchange, Gucci, Versaci. and dolce gabana. Looks like Va Beach has gotten its name out there.. Abecrombie and fitch is coming back to va beach as well.. But opening a store at town center. nomore lynnhaven mall

Looks like the Westin Aloft Residences on block 9 is starting contruction in a month.. and block 11.. Cosmopolitan lot. the plans are being revealed for that block this week. Urban Market Tower with a apple computer store, Armani Exchange, Gucci, Versaci. and dolce gabana. Looks like Va Beach has gotten its name out there.. Abecrombie and fitch is coming back to va beach as well.. But opening a store at town center. nomore lynnhaven mall

Alot of names there, where's all this coming from and where'd you get it from?

Wow that's great - all of it. These are some pretty heavy hitters which is awesome to hear. So cool to hear Apple is coming to TC too. I imagine they will all group together and come online at nearly the same time. These should really anchor TC as a true retail destination. I didn't even realize A&F left Lynnhaven but surprising to see they decided on TC. And yes please tell us where this info came from if you can.

Well They are coming from inside sources. I have family whom works with divaris.. So i get the most updated information. With Town center. It has become a successful project with the tallest building in VA.. sandler center, bravo block, cheesecake factory block. all these other projects in the process.. future of lightrail. And 4th highest median income of 75k a year in the nation. retailers are flocking to town center to start their shops. they know this is a celebrity area. Its diverse.. We have the beach, the agriculture the town center.. we have everything.. the climate is great. we dont get the hottest temps or the coldest temps.. its between.. USA Today named Virginia Beach the best place to live in america...FBI Crime Statistics name Va Beach the safest city for its size.. I can go on forever.. Virginina Beach is going to become the the highend retail core center.. Probably better than Williamsburg Outlets.. thats just too far to travel anyways to go shopping. Virginia beach is the largest city in the state. It needs to be the largest Fashion retailer in the state as well. We have soo many Celebrities who live in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk. they want a place to come shop for big named clothes..

This is great news! You said Urban Market "Tower" so does that mean its gonna be tall..

Urban Market Tower is going to be 30 Stories from what I understand.. Urban Market Tower is going to occupy Microsoft, Samsung Regional Offices. the retail portion is going to be upscale retailers, sandwich shops, deli/coffee shops. Columbus Movie Theater is moving into this Monsterous project. Thats going to be a downtown Movie Theater with retailers around. There is going to be a grand entrance. Columbus Cinemas!..The Bedbath and beyond, FYE. the property is being bought by a developer who is going to extend town center across constitution.. is going to be quite amazing when its done.. They need to build those blocks up anyways..

Urban Market Tower is going to be 30 Stories from what I understand.. Urban Market Tower is going to occupy Microsoft, Samsung Regional Offices. the retail portion is going to be upscale retailers, sandwich shops, deli/coffee shops. Columbus Movie Theater is moving into this Monsterous project. Thats going to be a downtown Movie Theater with retailers around. There is going to be a grand entrance. Columbus Cinemas!..The Bedbath and beyond, FYE. the property is being bought by a developer who is going to extend town center across constitution.. is going to be quite amazing when its done.. They need to build those blocks up anyways..

I was just a matter of time before that shopping center got bought out and turned into a continuation of the urban fabric. Good to see it on course to happen sooner rather than later. Now if only the Pembroke Mall owners would jump on board and begin converting their land into an urban grid that mirrors the town center (only larger in urban scale.)

where are you getting all of this information? is all of this solidly planned and getting sent to the city for review or is it just a "oh, lets buy the land and plan on doing this" kind of thing? What is the time frame for some of this stuff?

Urban Market Tower at 30 stories? Is it going to be all office and retail or will there be residential as well?

So all this is being announced this week? Sounds quite ambitious I must say. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a tad skeptical, especially given the current economic climate. From what I know, they haven't finished leasing all the space in Gateway tower yet, so all this seems a bit premature.

I too know someone who works at divaris. And I have heard and seen many plans. I remember seeing all the original renderings for city walk and getting real excited and then seeing the bottom fall out.

I haven't heard any news lately so I can't confirm this Urban tower and constitution project...but I hope it comes to fruition!

Sorry for two post in a row...Here's my theory

As long as light rail comes, it won't matter if there are two downtowns.

Norfolk can be mostly commercial/financial/historical

Va Beach can be retail/entertainment/modern

And they both can support residents/tourism/conventions

It is often thought it has to all be in one place, but the separation creates the unique opportunity for Choice and a unique mix of destination...Oceanfront, Town Center, and Downtown. Light rail is the key though, which allows mobility between all three easily, and without knowledge of the roadway. I know this was really off topic, but I guess it was spurred from the Urban market tower comments.

Is this a joke?

Sorry for two post in a row...Here's my theory

As long as light rail comes, it won't matter if there are two downtowns.

Norfolk can be mostly commercial/financial/historical

Va Beach can be retail/entertainment/modern

And they both can support residents/tourism/conventions

It is often thought it has to all be in one place, but the separation creates the unique opportunity for Choice and a unique mix of destination...Oceanfront, Town Center, and Downtown. Light rail is the key though, which allows mobility between all three easily, and without knowledge of the roadway. I know this was really off topic, but I guess it was spurred from the Urban market tower comments.

Makes sense, an example would be Alexandria and Washington DC, with their unique aspects and charm there is a multiplier effect.

Also would help in the "on going struggle" with myrtle beach, as Norfolk is much closer and as a result any rail service from the beach to Norfok easily outweighs any unique assets that Myrtle beach could muster.

Makes sense, an example would be Alexandria and Washington DC, with their unique aspects and charm there is a multiplier effect.

Also would help in the "on going struggle" with myrtle beach, as Norfolk is much closer and as a result any rail service from the beach to Norfok easily outweighs any unique assets that Myrtle beach could muster.

I wish I could find out some stats/demographics of what Alexandria was like before the metro. Or even what it was like about 10-15 years ago. Wikipedia sure tells a lot about the current demographics and education stats, which are quite impressive. If VB could replicate the TOD on the line, then the tide would certainly be a success!

All I know Is there is no information available for the public as of yet...But they are looking to squeeze the urban market tower project with Phase IV..which includes the aloft hotel/apartments and 20 story Office tower to house the gateway bank and city offices..Its all going to be completed when lightrail is completed for Virginia Beach...Which is about 2014..they are close to a deal with norfolk southern.. Im thinking about another month and the deal with be sealed..ANd thats why more buildings are being squeezed in with phase IV..they know the success

All I know Is there is no information available for the public as of yet...But they are looking to squeeze the urban market tower project with Phase IV..which includes the aloft hotel/apartments and 20 story Office tower to house the gateway bank and city offices..Its all going to be completed when lightrail is completed for Virginia Beach...Which is about 2014..they are close to a deal with norfolk southern.. Im thinking about another month and the deal with be sealed..ANd thats why more buildings are being squeezed in with phase IV..they know the success

Ok, I understand all of this...that they are waiting to close the NS deal and then squeeze in the extra tower. But what is the attitude about the heavy opposition to light rail? How sure is Divaris, and why are they so sure, that the city will be able to push light rail so soon?? It just seems to me that delays would be inevitable...for instance the environmental study delay. And I would expect to see a huge political/informational push for light rail to deal with the opposition. I know my parents have said they want to move out to Chesapeake if light rail comes, for fear that their property values will go down. I obviously do not agree hahaha. But the fact is that most people are misinformed about light rail.

Anyways, I really do hope that the urban mrkt tower get added to phase IV, along with Light Rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish I knew a lot more specifics about what the developers are being told. I mean what level of confidence to they really have?

Archived