ICCF Wealthy and Division Mixed-Use Project

GRDadof3

With a grocery store this close to downtown, I know a number of people who would instantly begin the search for an apartment or condo in close proximity.

That includes me.

This is, of course, after I graduate from college and get a job in GR. :P But if this development ends up as cool as it looks in these preliminary plans, this definitely looks like a place in which I'd like to live.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be our answer (at least I'm hopeful it is):

"Welcome to Aldi, the German-owned, low-cost, no-frills, do-it-yourself grocery chain that takes great pride in saving a buck. It's a formula that this deep-discount grocer is taking to the bank in the United States as the economy tanks." Since they are doing so well, they are planning on "expanding just as the economy contracts, with plans to add 100 more U.S. stores this year alone."

Is this music to UPer's ears? :ph34r:

The full article here.

This may be our answer (at least I'm hopeful it is):

"Welcome to Aldi, the German-owned, low-cost, no-frills, do-it-yourself grocery chain that takes great pride in saving a buck. It's a formula that this deep-discount grocer is taking to the bank in the United States as the economy tanks." Since they are doing so well, they are planning on "expanding just as the economy contracts, with plans to add 100 more U.S. stores this year alone."

Is this music to UPer's ears? :ph34r:

Aldi would not be surprising, but would also be a disappointment in my eyes. Certainly fits the demographic for the immediate neighborhood, but I don

We went a few times. They really know how to go against convention. They sell their bags and if you're too frugal to pay for the bags you just pile your groceries into the many used card board boxes that line the aisles.

You can't beat walking out with a few halogen lamps, GT Cola, and some Trail Mix for under three bucks. If I were to go again, it would be for the odds and ends no weekly grocery shopping for me.

If they made the store look nice, and not like that concrete bunker of a store on 28th street, then it will work just fine. People these days are looking to pinch pennies on their food bill. And if Meijer(s), D&W or Family Fare cant seem to make their way to this neck of the woods, then someone has to fill the hole.

Although I will admit I'm hoping for a place where I dont have to pay to use the shopping carts. Maybe Save-a-lot would be a better compromise.

As someone else said, part of this equation is to try and get residents living in this project, and not just low-income but a mix of market rate and low income housing. Market rater people are going to have a hard time jumping on board a development with an Aldi.

Even a development with Trader Joe's or Whole Foods will be a challenge to fill with market rate residents, at that end of downtown.

Even a development with Trader Joe's or Whole Foods will be a challenge to fill with market rate residents, at that end of downtown.

I am personally aware of several doctors, GVSU professors, attorneys and other professionals (some with families) who live "at that end of downtown". Wealthy Street today is not the Weathly street of even two yeats ago.

Does anyone remember when living west of Halsted in Chicago was considered risky? Today I think the line is pushing past Western Ave.

Although I will admit I'm hoping for a place where I dont have to pay to use the shopping carts. Maybe Save-a-lot would be a better compromise.

The shopping cart is a deposit. If you bring the cart back, you get your quarter back.

We would shop some at an Aldi there, but I do agree that I'd rather have something that offers a bit more.

I am personally aware of several doctors, GVSU professors, attorneys and other professionals (some with families) who live "at that end of downtown". Wealthy Street today is not the Weathly street of even two yeats ago.

Does anyone remember when living west of Halsted in Chicago was considered risky? Today I think the line is pushing past Western Ave.

Where? Southwest of that intersection is almost all industrial. Northwest are a few new apartment projects (Loose Leaf, Metropolitan Park, The Globe). That whole section of South Division from Wealthy to Franklin doesn't even seem like part of a city anymore (1/2 the lots are vacant or there's the big warehouse on the West side of the street). And most of the housing on the Southeast corner has been torn down or has boarded windows. :huh:

I know that Wealthy is changing dramatically, and so is South Division, but you'd be surprised how many people looking at condos downtown are hypersensitive to "crime".

I think ANY grocery store is a benefit. We can't be picky about what we get and if a grocery store chain (that's doing well and expanding in this economy) is going to be the choice for that development, then I wish them great luck. Plus, as mpchicago put it, that area's demographic would fit just fine with that store. In the article, it even mentions that people with an upper-middle income shop at Aldi stores.

The subject of a downtown grocery store comes up often, obviously this development is a viable location for such a needed resource and I hope it happens. I would hate for it to be an Aldi's or even another "national retailer" when we have two of the best (Meijer & Spartan) headquartered right here.

I continue to be puzzled as to why neither of these companies (having yet to see anything happening at Mich & Fulton) has stepped forward to help promote the exciting urban growth that Grand Rapids is experiencing. Of course it is a risk, and of course the money has to be there to support it, but the argument that they do not have an urban model simply doesn't fly... both companies have a history of innovation.

I recently watched "The Gift of All, A Community of Givers" on WGVU which addressed the philanthropy that has made this city what it is today. With the support that the residents have given to Fred Meijer, I wonder why there hasn't been a philanthropic view to adding a retail operation downtown. I realize the seperation between his personal giving and the business of Meijer, but I also wonder if there could be a catlyst there. What a positive statement it would make for our city.

One other thing I've always wondered with Meijer and an urban store is why they don't put a store downtown and consider it a) Corporate philanthropy (so the need for profitability is offset by corporate giving) and b) it could be a prototype, much like the Cascade store to test out new concepts in urban environments. All of their competition is moving into urban areas, it's about time Meijer starts some R&D, and GR is the perfect place to start. :)

Joe

The subject of a downtown grocery store comes up often, obviously this development is a viable location for such a needed resource and I hope it happens. I would hate for it to be an Aldi's or even another "national retailer" when we have two of the best (Meijer & Spartan) headquartered right here.

I continue to be puzzled as to why neither of these companies (having yet to see anything happening at Mich & Fulton) has stepped forward to help promote the exciting urban growth that Grand Rapids is experiencing. Of course it is a risk, and of course the money has to be there to support it, but the argument that they do not have an urban model simply doesn't fly... both companies have a history of innovation.

I recently watched "The Gift of All, A Community of Givers" on WGVU which addressed the philanthropy that has made this city what it is today. With the support that the residents have given to Fred Meijer, I wonder why there hasn't been a philanthropic view to adding a retail operation downtown. I realize the seperation between his personal giving and the business of Meijer, but I also wonder if there could be a catlyst there. What a positive statement it would make for our city.

One other thing I've always wondered with Meijer and an urban store is why they don't put a store downtown and consider it a) Corporate philanthropy (so the need for profitability is offset by corporate giving) and b) it could be a prototype, much like the Cascade store to test out new concepts in urban environments. All of their competition is moving into urban areas, it's about time Meijer starts some R&D, and GR is the perfect place to start. :)

Joe

Who knows, even though it may start as a philanthopic gesture, there might be enough pent up demand (and I trully believe there is) in the area to make a store profitable. I can say right now that if there was a Meijer downtown I would rather go there than trek all the way out to the suburbs, especially if it is only for a few items. I think the downtown has been too underserved for too long and retailers now just assume that it would be an unprofitable investment, but there is really no place for thousands of people to go for basics, other than miles away.

Who knows, even though it may start as a philanthopic gesture, there might be enough pent up demand (and I trully believe there is) in the area to make a store profitable. I can say right now that if there was a Meijer downtown I would rather go there than trek all the way out to the suburbs, especially if it is only for a few items. I think the downtown has been too underserved for too long and retailers now just assume that it would be an unprofitable investment, but there is really no place for thousands of people to go for basics, other than miles away.

This only thing that would scare Meijer away from doing a DT store would be the planning commision and the way they manhandled Meijer by rejecting its proposal to replace the 28th st and K'zoo store. So I'm not seeing an Urban Meijer for the forseeable future though I really wish it did do an urban store since Target and Walmart have done them.

This only thing that would scare Meijer away from doing a DT store would be the planning commision and the way they manhandled Meijer by rejecting its proposal to replace the 28th st and K'zoo store. So I'm not seeing an Urban Meijer for the forseeable future though I really wish it did do an urban store since Target and Walmart have done them.

A raw land or not-quite-brownfield build is way different than the Kzoo/28th store, with all those added-on lots and creative fixin' done to "fit" into the residential neighborhood.

The PC asked for adjustments (twice), and the latest time it was tabled. Door didn't get slammed on Fred's foot.

• 1 year later...

Archived